Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mr. Bullet Feeder - bullets tilted or fallen off case

Dazhi

Update - 

I got the spill stops, and I put both on.  When I place them both on the press, they are super tight against the shell plate to a point the primer punch and shell plate hole alignment did not work well.  I took 1 of them off, and it worked much better.  

It did help eliminate the tipping over issue, but 1 out of 10 or so bullets are still tilting while going into station #4, as seen in the video.   I am pretty happy though, as this is a big improvement over previous. 

I also contacted DAA, and they said the powder funnel life time is 60k - 100k.  Since I am nearing 80k, they want me to buy a new one, which I just did.  I will post side-by-side picture of both used and new DAA powder funnel once I receive my order.  

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Still looked like way too much flare/bell.

Also, did you ever put a rubber band on the MBF?  It adds down pressure to seat the bullet better. 

Edited by GregJ

I got the new DAA powder funnel, and that fixes all the issues I had!  Bottom line - if you have been using your DAA powder funnel for over 80k rounds, you should consider replacing it.  With the new one, I don't need the "spill stop" pin anymore.  Everything runs extremely smoothly now.  Just loaded 1k rounds and no a single tilted bullet. 

Comparing the worn-out and new DAA powder funnel, you can see the one with 80k rounds is missing that critical "step" on the tip.  It's obviously worn out over time.   That "step" is meant to create the profile that helps the dropper to drop bullets deeper.  

Untitled4.thumb.jpg.0c73bb6cf5afbc296e4eea3118986910.jpg

Here you can see how deep the new one allows the bullets to sit in the case vs. the used one. 

In fact, now I am back to the old days where I have to pull really hard to get the occassional up-side-down bullets out. 

newvsold.thumb.jpg.b9eb2894e9e85e9e03235e7efb16f8b6.jpg

Edited by Dazhi

Weird, I wonder why some funnels last 200K+ (like mine) and others wear by 80K (like yours). Given my personal experience I wouldn't have even thought it  possible to wear the step out at such a low round count.

Thanks for the update.

20 minutes ago, RePete said:

Comparing the old and the new, suggests that old unit wasn't hardened enough.

Yeah something is amiss. Mine is getting close to that amount of use and still looks new.

I am curious as well.  Where/when did you guys buy your MBF?  I bought mine from DAA directly 3 years ago when they were still overseas.  The new one is from BSPS just last week. 

I guess some very early batches may have better quality?

Anyways, DAA's official words below.  At first I was suspicious but looks like they are right on marks in my case. 

daa1.jpg

Edited by Dazhi

The other thing is, I have obviously been running the worn-out die for at least a few months.  I guess if your press runs smoothly with aftermarket improvements, you potentially may not see this problem even without that step.  Without the step, it's essentially just a Dillon die.   Will spill-stop, bearing kit, etc.  it's actually will work for 99% of the time I think. 

IMG_20190208_200956.jpg