Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Modified X5 Mag Release

George16

Since my Shadow 2 has a mag release pad and I installed one on my TSO, I decided to do the same thing on my X5 mag release.

I drilled and tapped the mag release to accept an M3 screw using a carbide drill bit. I used a Shadow 2 mag release pad. The mag release is made of hardened steel so make sure you use a carbide drill bit if you decide to do the mod.

Anyway, here are some pics:
3-E6-B9013-0-DC8-4-C96-BC46-0335-C240-B9

732-E0-C99-EB02-4-A4-E-AD60-4-CDD54-FDDC

I had to grind the Shadow 2 pad to clear the grip when depressed to release the mag.

6-BB9-CABB-41-C8-4535-BA64-BDD1-D37-D6-F

So far, it works smoothly and makes it easier to do reloads.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I did. I removed the factory X5 release so I can drill and tapped a hole for an M3 screw on it so I can mount the shadow 2 pad. 

It it actually feels like a shadow 2 and TSO mag release now. It’s very nice and easy to do as long as you have a carbide drill bit and a drill press.

I did the same thing to my TSO last year. I have to grind off 3mm from the factory TSO mag release because it’s too long/high with the pad installed.

AB82-B8-FD-1-BC9-4849-AE05-3-CFEDF7-ACE3thanks.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

What size drill bit for the M3 tap, 7/64? I ended up getting a Shadow 2 button made out of a G10 from https://lokgrips.com/gun-grips/cz/cz-shadow-2/accessories/mag-release-button/

and was going to give this a shot with a spare mag catch I have.

I was going to try a Strike Industries extended mag catch but it doesn't fit my X5 properly; with that I could've just got a longer M2 screw and put the pad right in.

24 minutes ago, mellino19 said:

What size drill bit for the M3 tap, 7/64? I ended up getting a Shadow 2 button made out of a G10 from https://lokgrips.com/gun-grips/cz/cz-shadow-2/accessories/mag-release-button/

I was going to try a Strike Industries extended mag catch but it doesn't fit my X5 properly; with that I could've just got a longer M2 screw and put the pad right in.

I used a 2.5mm drill bit.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jpm2953 said:

You aren’t kidding about the mag release being hardened. 

Wow. I am going to have to order a. carbide drill bit. I had some new TIN coated bits and it won’t touch it. 

I made a paddle for mine instead of buying a S2 button. 

Be sure to use cutting oil with the carbide bit too. I know George said 2.5mm but I used a 7/64” bit, which is about 2.7mm, regardless either size works with the tap and some oil.

On 6/6/2019 at 2:07 PM, mellino19 said:

Can you tell me why the Strike mag release did not work with your X5?  I have one in my X-compact that is working fine and I thought the mag release was identical to the X5.  Thanks. 

6 minutes ago, Zeros said:

Can you tell me why the Strike mag release did not work with your X5?  I have one in my X-compact that is working fine and I thought the mag release was identical to the X5.  Thanks. 

The SI mag release had a very VERY snug fit in my frame, it wouldn't move freely at all so I would've had to file/sand down the catch to make it fit better if I kept it.

Like I mentioned, it would've been nice because I only would have needed a longer screw, but I have all tools at work to drilling and tapping so it worked out just as well.

22 minutes ago, mellino19 said:

The SI mag release had a very VERY snug fit in my frame, it wouldn't move freely at all so I would've had to file/sand down the catch to make it fit better if I kept it.

Like I mentioned, it would've been nice because I only would have needed a longer screw, but I have all tools at work to drilling and tapping so it worked out just as well.

Sounds good.  I also think the SI release is angled when the extension is not installed, so it might have angled the Shadow2 pad out too far as well.

1 minute ago, jpm2953 said:

I managed to get my hole drilled. I used a 2.5mm carbide endMill. I can’t get a tap started now. Won’t even touch it.  Brand new tap too! I might just buy a springer mag release and drill/tap it. 

How deep did you drill down? You can't just go a 1/4" and call it a day. You have to go a good 3/8-1/2" down so that the tap can get deep enough to start making threads or else only the tapered section/tip of the tap will go in and then bottom out where you stopped and do a bunch of nothing.

1 hour ago, jpm2953 said:

I managed to get my hole drilled. I used a 2.5mm carbide endMill. I can’t get a tap started now. Won’t even touch it.  Brand new tap too! I might just buy a springer mag release and drill/tap it. 

3488A37C-38C0-48FB-AB71-BCE24692FB9F.jpeg

Grind the surface to make it smooth and flat. In doing so, it’ll anneal the metal a little bit due to the heat produced by grinding.

i drilled a hole about 1/4” then use an M3 carbide tap. I then finished it off with a bottoming tap so the threads go all the way to the bottom of the hole. Regular taps (pointed starting taps) doesn’t cut thread all the way to the bottom so you need to use a bottoming yap which has a flat end.

I finally got it. I took the mag release back out and heated the tip of it with a torch until it was glowing red. That annealed it. I was then able to tap it. Works like a champ! I will post a picture of it later this evening.