Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Modified X5 Mag Release

George16

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Akkid17 said:

Has anyone tried this with the springer  mag release? I may have one that I can get for cheap rather then messing up my factory release. 

I'd be concerned with it fitting into your holster if do the paddle mod on the the extended springer release. I did this to the factory release and it fits without holster modification. The springer may have way too much height and cause you to accidentally drop the mag when your holding the gun.

Factory mag releases can be ordered directly from Sig or you can find kits on eBay for like $16 if you need another...could always find clearance grip modules and buy them just harvest the mag buttons from them. Turn the module into a silly flashlight holder or something 😛

4 hours ago, Akkid17 said:

Has anyone tried this with the springer  mag release? I may have one that I can get for cheap rather then messing up my factory release. 

It’ll be too tall. I did one with the springer mag release also since the metal is soft like butter with my carbide drill bit. The extra length of the springer release made the height too tall and prone to accidental activation of the mag release. I cut about 2-3 mm off of the springer and made a spare one just in case I buy the legion.

However, I ditch my plan of buying the legion because of the LCI cut and also to save some money and bought the Txg grip module instead. Then, I just transferred the GG trigger, tungsten guide rod, 1911 recoil spring and Romeo 1 6moa dot from my old X5.

1 hour ago, George16 said:

It’ll be too tall. I did one with the springer mag release also since the metal is soft like butter with my carbide drill bit. The extra length of the springer release made the height too tall and prone to accidental activation of the mag release. I cut about 2-3 mm off of the springer and made a spare one just in case I buy the legion.

However, I ditch my plan of buying the legion because of the LCI cut and also to save some money and bought the Txg grip module instead. Then, I just transferred the GG trigger, tungsten guide rod, 1911 recoil spring and Romeo 1 6moa dot from my old X5.

AND your going back to CO why??

And you will buy the Legion- Because I want one!!

2 hours ago, Rolex said:

AND your going back to CO why??

And you will buy the Legion- Because I want one!!

Going to CO because it has a dot 😝.

I only bought the tungsten grip module to save some money 💰.

Did you buy the X5 legion?

4 hours ago, George16 said:

Going to CO because it has a dot 😝.

I only bought the tungsten grip module to save some money 💰.

Did you buy the X5 legion?

Wife retired today- NO MORE TOYS- that's why I need to sell NEW AR15- 

But told Jack to keep his eyes open- He sold 2 already-

1 hour ago, Rolex said:

Wife retired today- NO MORE TOYS- that's why I need to sell NEW AR15- 

But told Jack to keep his eyes open- He sold 2 already-

Retired? Oh my goodness! That’s great so she can relax and enjoy life. 

I didnt see Jack’s name for tomorrow’s match at SEPSA.  Haven’t heard from him lately.

1 hour ago, George16 said:

Retired? Oh my goodness! That’s great so she can relax and enjoy life. 

I didnt see Jack’s name for tomorrow’s match at SEPSA.  Haven’t heard from him lately.

He's going-- 

• 1 month later...

Did the mag release on my legion today. I annealed it first. Then stuck it in a Mill and milled the “ridges” off so it was smooth then drilled and tapped it. I used a G10 Shadow 2 mag release from LOK. Much better! 

6ACDDFE0-5536-44AA-AA8D-F04998CD4D0A.png

6 minutes ago, Heliarclee said:

I am not seeing the screenshot, but thank you.  I will be doing this soon to help from having to break my grip on reloads.  

Sorry got my posts mixed up, it’s here 

but page 109 of the rule book mentions it

1 hour ago, eboadway said:

I thought you could extend the mag release, but not change it’s shape?

Page 109 section 21.6 (carry optics in this case) states "Sights, firing pins, firing pin retainers, pins, extractors, magazine releases, slide stops, thumb safeties, triggers, hammers, bushings, and ejectors MAY be replaced with OFM or aftermarket part" and doesn't specify the profile of the part being replaced. For example I put a GoGun *thumb rest [generic]* on my X5 and it doesn't count as a thumb rest because it's a modified slide stop/release. You're not changing the core function of the component, only modifying it for ease of use in a way. As @MemphisMechanic has mentioned in this post (or another post that this mag button has been mentioned) some of these have carried over to Production as well. Just need a magwell to be in legal in CO and it'll be true poor mans open 😛

3 hours ago, eboadway said:

I thought you could extend the mag release, but not change it’s shape?

In 2017, correct.

In Production and Carry Optics you can now run gigantic hot pink race hammers, safeties, triggers, tremendous thumbrests... and carve the grip up to your liking. Have at it.

Just don’t bend the magwell open to form a funnel or add a thumb rest it. And you’re good.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

11 hours ago, George16 said:

Do it and make money out of it. It’s not hard at all. 

I’m a metal fabricator, but doing one at a time by hand would take a while.  May talk to a buddy of mine to see what it would cost to have them mass produced.  They could almost be modular, either a stock size button that is extended or a paddle style.  

Just keep in mind, the only problem with doing this to an extended release such as the springer precision one is that your holster will need to be modified to fit it. I didn't have to change a thing on either my Comp Tac or RHT holsters with the OE sig release and the G10 shadow 2 button.

23 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

In 2017, correct.

In Production and Carry Optics you can now run gigantic hot pink race hammers, safeties, triggers, tremendous thumbrests... and carve the grip up to your liking. Have at it.

Just don’t bend the magwell open to form a funnel or add a thumb rest it. And you’re good.

Gender neutral- 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...