Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA/IPSC rear sight preference?

MisterPlink

I know that most shooters go with front fiber optic and black rear sight.  Does it matter if you choose fixed rear or adjustable rear for action gun games?  I could see adjustable being more useful on bullseye style shooting but for run and gun I’m not sure if it matters.

If you have a preference, please elaborate on why you like your choice.

I know that most shooters go with front fiber optic and black rear sight.  Does it matter if you choose fixed rear or adjustable rear for action gun games?  I could see adjustable being more useful on bullseye style shooting but for run and gun I’m not sure if it matters.
If you have a preference, please elaborate on why you like your choice.
few thoughts:

I ran front fiber with rear black adjustable for a long time but have left eye dominance(right handed) and astigmatism in right eye so fiber gets blurry and starbursts often (shoot with both eyes open). Switched to black front sight recently and have found it to be more accurate FOR ME and it's just as effective in low light. I can obtain a much more sharp sight picture and even when I go target focused can see the all black sights clearly in the l my peripheral vision.

Rear adjustable is ideal as you can make micro-adjustments, if ever needed, and really lock in pinpoint accuracy (if gun is capable). I did use the Dawson sight calculator on my M&P (has fixed rear black and fixed front fiber) and it was spot on. So you could go that route as well.

What platform will you using the sights on?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

the thing about adjustable,,, is you tend to adjust them, then dont mess with them again. 
If you are only playing one game or playing with one load not really much point in adjustable.
Also no idea why people think they are any more accurate. They arnt,,, they are just easier to adjust. The so called fixed rear sights generally are in a dove tail with a set screw and can be drifted left and right for windage, elevation adjustment is done by front sight height.  A little more involved but once its done its done. 
Although,, really not much disadvntage to a quality Bomar style adjustable they are pretty durable dont recall ever having one break. So basically it doesnt really matter,  Be concerned with aperture type and size, and a front sight that takes up about half of the rear window as you look down it,, So blade in middle then a light bar on each side about half as wide as the blade, some like more.

I  like fiber front and black adjustable rear. Why the adjustable rear? Cause it is easy to adjust if i change loads, and if i don't change loads, it works just as well as a fixed. I do not like fibers in the rear sight though, gets distracting to me

If I didn't shoot indoors at all, I'd still be using black front, black rear. During the winter I shoot USPSA indoors, and the lighting is challenging to say the least, so, I use a green fiber Dawson front, black rear. Outdoors in good lighting black on black gives the best accuracy, for me. 

Like many here, adjustable with FO front in green.  I used to shoot with a red FO FS but found that the green really popped for me as well.

I just prefer how the front sight is "framed" with a wide adjustable rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by superslowmo

22 hours ago, Rnlinebacker said:

few thoughts:

I ran front fiber with rear black adjustable for a long time but have left eye dominance(right handed) and astigmatism in right eye so fiber gets blurry and starbursts often (shoot with both eyes open). Switched to black front sight recently and have found it to be more accurate FOR ME and it's just as effective in low light. I can obtain a much more sharp sight picture and even when I go target focused can see the all black sights clearly in the l my peripheral vision.

Rear adjustable is ideal as you can make micro-adjustments, if ever needed, and really lock in pinpoint accuracy (if gun is capable). I did use the Dawson sight calculator on my M&P (has fixed rear black and fixed front fiber) and it was spot on. So you could go that route as well.

What platform will you using the sights on?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I’m also left eye dominant(right handed). I would be using a Springfield 1911. I am trying to decide exactly which sight combination I want. My vision is garbage under lower  light conditions like an indoor range. 

Adjustable rear is great if you use different loads. For example I use my SS for uspsa some and then shoot a soft load for steel challenge. I also like to see more of the plate in steel challenge so I tend to aim lower, being able adjust elevation is useful for this. Dawson fiber front, red for me. I do really like the brazos manny dot on my limited gun though. It's .07 blade and flares down to .09 at the base.