Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Deltapoint or RMR

currahee1911

I own several DPPs and 1 RMR, the DPPs are on range guns and the RMR is on home defense pistol.  I think, and it has been mentioned many times, the RMR is more robust but it has a much smaller window which doesn't work as well for me in competition.  Also the battery on the DPP can be accessed without removing the optic allowing for faster change and no possibility of losing zero (at least from a battery replacement perspective).  

I own several DPPs and 1 RMR, the DPPs are on range guns and the RMR is on home defense pistol.  I think, and it has been mentioned many times, the RMR is more robust but it has a much smaller window which doesn't work as well for me in competition.  Also the battery on the DPP can be accessed without removing the optic allowing for faster change and no possibility of losing zero (at least from a battery replacement perspective).  

This^^^^

I also own both and use them the same way as mentioned above. Totally agree. I love the deltapoint for my open gun. I love the RMR for my edc Glock 19. They each fill that role well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

38 minutes ago, cjmill87 said:

+ 1 on DPP

2 hours ago, Posvar said:

DPP for me on my open and carry guns! 

Anyone know where to get a good used DPP 2.5 or a new one at a good price?

Opticsplanet has coupon codes and you can chat to see if they have special or price match.  Their sister site Dvor runs deals too if you are not in a hurry to get one.  Hope this helps.

1 hour ago, HIREDgun45 said:

Opticsplanet has coupon codes and you can chat to see if they have special or price match.  Their sister site Dvor runs deals too if you are not in a hurry to get one.  Hope this helps.

Thanks. I check them out 

I'm not much of an open shooter other than on a rimfire pistol for Steel Challenge, but I have experience with the RMR (owned 4 so far), so if I may weigh in... as others have said, the RMR is really nice on a rifle, especially if it may serve a primary or secondary HD purpose with the dot mounted as close to the eye as possible.  On my PCC I like my RM07 due to the bigger dot that is not only easier to pick up but also a lot crisper than the RM06 dotbut the RM06 is still a good choice if you like a smaller reticle.  You're talking about a pistol dot on a game gun though.  In your case, I'd personally recommend looking at an RTS2 with an 8 or 6moa dot over the DPP.  For me personally, I've tried quite a few dots and for me it's RTS2's on game guns that basically spend their lives in a cushioned gun case and then a "safe" environment when being shot.  If not that, then you're talking about a Home Defense situation, or possibly a game gun where the gun might get thrown in a barrel, whacked extra hard against a barricade, etc., and then I'd go with a "hardened" optic such as the RMR, DPP, or Holosun 510c.  You lose some speed due to the thicker frame, but I think it's a wise trade off vs. losing peace of mind worrying about protecting the dot against damage or worse yet actually destroying it in the action of hard use.  On my Steel Challenge PCC I've shot it with both the RTS2 and RMR.  The RTS2 is faster (this was vs. the RM06 with a smaller dot) but with the USPSA rifle I'm building (which will serve a secondary purpose as my Apocalypse gun) the Type 2 RMR is the easy choice for me for a lot of HD-ish reasons, namely the larger dot on the RM07 model combined with durability, auto adjust, and constant-on battery life.  I'm curious to try the USPSA upper in Steel Challenge with the RM07 once it's built as I suspect that the RTS2 will still be faster, but the gap will be significantly reduced.  Anyway, if you don't go with the RMR for a hardened optic, after that you're generally stuck with small reticles, but the Holosun 510c has the circle dot option which is probably the next best thing.  Frankly, if Holosun offered a 510 with a 6 or 8moa dot, I'd be all over it... but they don't.  On a pistol, my vote between the two choices you mentioned would be the DPP, but I'd really really recommend test driving somebody's gun who shoots an RTS2 and/or Holosun 510c before making a decision.  One of the nice things about the 510c is you can remove the protective hood and get the best of both worlds with regards to frame thickness.  (Admittedly I think you can also remove the hood on a DPP and LOTS of people love the DPP, but in case you can't tell, but sorry I'm just not a fan of the DPP reticle choices.)

Edited by jkrispies

I have 3 rmrs for carry and competition. 

I like the fact it will be the same presentation if need be. 

I know everyone says the window is small but the dot is suppose to be centered in the middle of the window no matter the size.

Also another pro is it having a crazy long battery life and being super durable.

I really prefer the DP for competition. It has a larger non distorted window. The RMR is the perfect carry optic. It is quite robust but the small window while good for carry use is just too small for competition. The window distortion bugs me too.

8 hours ago, WarBoom said:

The window distortion bugs me too.

FWIW, I've looked through reflex sights that were legitimately distorted due to bad glass, and I wouldn't put the RMR in that category.  I've never looked through an RMR that was distorted when held correctly.  From what I can tell, the glass on the RMR is extra thick for strength, so it will appear to be distorted if not held correctly, meaning that you're looking through it at an angle; you would see the same distortion if looking through a window at an extreme angle, or looking at a flat fish tank from an angle rather than straight on.  When I look through an RMR straight (as in, the dot is centered in the window), I don't think it's distorted at all, and I can also say that I don't personally see any magnification... though I keep the sight mounted close to my eye which may make a difference in this regard.  Of course, this is also to say that a reflex sight with less thick glass (such as the RTS2) will be less forgiving of a poor presentation... at the greater risk of damage in the event of impact.  It's all a balance of trade-offs, and the end user needs to decide where they want to fall on that sliding scale.  This is why I choose the RMR for one shooting purpose, and the RTS2 for a different shooting purpose.

FWIW, regarding the RMR not being a true 1x, after reading this thread I took my primary RM07 into my backyard this morning where I have 25 yards to play with and looked really hard through it.  There's maybe a 1.1x or so magnification, and I think it's showing up more around the very edges of the glass than in the center.  I think that in reality this may be the case with most dots if you really look that analytically.  I see the same thing in my RTS2 but to a lesser extent... again I bet because the glass itself is thinner on that particular dot which also helps to make the glass clearer.  I would venture to guess that the only way you're going to get an absolutely perfect 1x view through an optic is with a prism/variable scope that can be focused with an adjustable eyepiece, which is a function that these micros obviously lack.  Having acknowledged the above, if doing a proper target focus, the magnification I'm seeing in the RMR is pretty unnoticeable, and I wouldn't have picked up on it if not for the comments in this thread making me curious enough to look for it specifically.  Again, a caveat is that I'm using my RMR on a rifle mounted mere inches from my eye-- not sure what the verdict would be at arm's length as others mentioned above.