Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Techwell IPSC XT vs Dawson Ice 1911 Magwells (for competition)

chaserracer

I have the Dawson magwell with the gap. I like it a lot... saves you from some less than accurate reloads. The other nice thing is it has the replaceable inserts just like the ice for a 2011. The only downside to it is non Dawson basepads. I originally had Wilson ETM and seating them was an issue. However once I put the Dawson pads it was easy as pie. 

As for the the other company I don’t have any expirence with it, but it looks sweet. 

I had the Dawson Ice on all my 1911's for a long time. After getting a chance to mess around with the Techwell IPSC XT changed over all my competition 1911's to it. The thing I like the most if not having to buy special base pads for my mags. I use Tripp Research mags. You could alter the base pads on them to get them to work with the Dawson Ice no-gap magwell.

@bjones6686 Did you notice the techwell IPSC XT wobbled or felt slightly loose on your gun after install? (mine definitely does) Also, did you have to do any blending to your pistols magwell to accomodate the angle of the techwell magwell. My Springer trophy match has a noticiable "lip" that hangs up the mags on every reload, i have no problem taking a dremel or file to it I was just curious if you had experienced anything similar.

(thank you)

1 hour ago, chaserracer said:

@bjones6686 Did you notice the techwell IPSC XT wobbled or felt slightly loose on your gun after install? (mine definitely does) Also, did you have to do any blending to your pistols magwell to accomodate the angle of the techwell magwell. My Springer trophy match has a noticiable "lip" that hangs up the mags on every reload, i have no problem taking a dremel or file to it I was just curious if you had experienced anything similar.

(thank you)

It does not wobble or feel loose at all with the techwell positech grips I installed. No blending on either gun I have it installed on. Never had any mag hang up issues. I only use Tripp Research mags. One of the guns I have it on is posted for sale in the classifieds and has pictures showing how the magwell lines up on my gun.

I have been running the USPSA and IPSC version of the Dawson and am have the Techwell XT incoming to sample.  Ran SVI's for years before that ...   I like a deep angle (the Dawson IPSC is a tad more shallow) that is IPSC compliant.  

12 hours ago, RGC said:

I have been running the USPSA and IPSC version of the Dawson and am have the Techwell XT incoming to sample.  Ran SVI's for years before that ...   I like a deep angle (the Dawson IPSC is a tad more shallow) that is IPSC compliant.  

I'm on the fence with this magwell...No response from Techwell regarding the wobbling/loose fit of the magwell and grips and its looking like I will need to do some blending on the grip to get rid of that sharp lip. What made you switch away from the SVI magwells?

4 minutes ago, theblacklabel18 said:

Dawson is the GOAT with the plastic inserts. Super slick, and replaceable when gouged up. Once you screw up the solid metal ones, it’s either polish it up or replace it. Wish Dave made a steel one though.

It'd be perfect if it didn't require you to buy six basepads @ $14.00 each.

It'd be perfect if it didn't require you to buy six basepads @ $14.00 each.

I run stock basepads on my Tripp mags without issue, but yea the “no-gap” puts a damper on that. 14 bucks is still a lot cheaper than 2011 basepads though, you start to wonder at 40 bucks a piece

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the techwell, I have had one on several 1911s. Most have required blending,  some more than others.  Mine has  never been loose fitting. I have the rubbery grips, maybe that is the difference 

3 minutes ago, theblacklabel18 said:

I run stock basepads on my Tripp mags without issue, but yea the “no-gap” puts a damper on that. 14 bucks is still a lot cheaper than 2011 basepads though, you start to wonder at 40 bucks a piece.

At least with 2011 mags you get 20+ rounds. I hate the idea of paying up to $35.00 for a magazine and needing to dump another $14.00 to get it to work with my gun. 

;The Dawson IPSC magwell works well enough, and doesn't cost $150.00 like the Techwell. I do like the Techwell TGO though. Just wish it wasn't so expensive.

At least with 2011 mags you get 20+ rounds. I hate the idea of paying up to $35.00 for a magazine and needing to dump another $14.00 to get it to work with my gun. 

;The Dawson IPSC magwell works well enough, and doesn't cost $150.00 like the Techwell. I do like the Techwell TGO though. Just wish it wasn't so expensive.

But it has Leatham’s name attached to it, so it gets you an automagic gm card lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, terrydoc said:

Techwell is $150 because you get the grips, I have purchased the magwells themselves for about $70. 

Still kind of pricey if I already have the grips I want, Dawson gives you the MSH and charges $95.00. Just wish Dawson had an option with the front open so you could swipe mags out if they get stuck. 

Well, just received mine with the blue/black profiled grips with screws.  Great looking and quality pieces.  Problem is, my Tripp frame is wider than typical 1911s so the magwell will not fit without machining.  Shame,...guess it's available if any interest.