Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Techwell IPSC XT vs Dawson Ice 1911 Magwells (for competition)

chaserracer

I’ve used both the Standard and ISPC-compliant Dawson magwells as well as the SVI version. My favorite is the SVI both for looks and function. However, they’re a PITA to take off and on. Both Dawson versions work relatively well and the IPSC version can work well with most standard basepads. They’re also much easier to install and remove. Never tried the Techwell versions. 

On 2/14/2019 at 4:39 AM, cheers623 said:

I’ve used both the Standard and ISPC-compliant Dawson magwells as well as the SVI version. My favorite is the SVI both for looks and function. However, they’re a PITA to take off and on. Both Dawson versions work relatively well and the IPSC version can work well with most standard basepads. They’re also much easier to install and remove. Never tried the Techwell versions. 

@cheers623Can you tell me what mags you use for the SVI 1911 magwell? I have CMC Power mags with Dawson base pads on them. The basepads are meant to be used with a "gap" or standard magwell and I was wondering if these would work or be compatible with the SVI magwell...

On 1/29/2019 at 12:35 PM, Tochnost said:

On my list of to dos is to build a personal single stack gun. I always include the SV magwell in my comparisons. I think it looks the best.

DSCN0079.jpeg

Im looking at this magwell now as well...Can you tell me which mags you are using with yours? I currently have CMC 8rd Power mags with the Dawson aluminum base pads that are meant to be used with gap or standard 1911 magwell and cant really get a clear answer if they are compatible or not...

1 hour ago, chaserracer said:

@cheers623Can you tell me what mags you use for the SVI 1911 magwell? I have CMC Power mags with Dawson base pads on them. The basepads are meant to be used with a "gap" or standard magwell and I was wondering if these would work or be compatible with the SVI magwell...

Yes, every base pad I’ve got works with the SVI version. Hope that helps!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2019 at 4:39 AM, cheers623 said:

@cheers623 Im currently stumped on the installation of this SVI magwell on my 1911...It came with a short little MSH pin that I thought was incorrect as it wasn't long enough to capture each side of the magwell and run through the MSH, etc. but after speaking to CS at SVI they let me know that was indeed the correct pin for all 1911 magwell platforms. Any tips, tricks, guidance would be MUCH appreciated sir 🙏

On 3/4/2019 at 12:49 PM, chaserracer said:

@cheers623 Im currently stumped on the installation of this SVI magwell on my 1911...It came with a short little MSH pin that I thought was incorrect as it wasn't long enough to capture each side of the magwell and run through the MSH, etc. but after speaking to CS at SVI they let me know that was indeed the correct pin for all 1911 magwell platforms. Any tips, tricks, guidance would be MUCH appreciated sir 🙏

I believe the instructions are that you install the MSH and the magwell with the little/standard size pin provided. Then you take the slack out of the magwell fitment by tightening the screws in the bottom of the magwell part. I think that’s correct. Hope that helps!

• 3 weeks later...