Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EVO fit

praetorian97

NO videos Ive ever seen. STI frames have varied over the years and the dimensions are all over the place. SO the exact fitment for your frame may not be the same for another anyhow. Ist thing to do is makes sure the grip doesnt just go on out of the box and get lucky, if you havent already. It should slide on with just a little bit of resistance for a minor slip fit. If its snug dont force it as it can bend and put stress on the frame. Dykem the inside of the grip and slip it on the frame until it wont easily go anymore and then carefully remove and check where the dykem was scratched off and you know the ares to address. Using hand files remove material lightly and constantly check your work by more dykem and sliding it on. Once you get to the point of it slipping on all the way and the grip screw holes still dont line up be sure to check that you have clearance between the top edge of the grip to slide stop/safety plunger housing as well as the top flat above the trigger guard drops into the frame recess, both areas may need some trimming. I mention that so you dont continue to file inside in case those two areas are hanging the alignment up. Ive done a couple of them on STI frames 1 was easy easy and one I had was a real Mother$*#*@(. USually they slip right on a newer Bedell made frame and I believe also the Atlas frames. Good luck. 

This is no help to you, but I tried on my older STI Open gun.  Unfortunately the added a lot of beef back then and I'd have to remove a LOT of metal from the frame to get it to fit.  The frame is hard chromed, so no go.  Cheely's new e2 grip won't go on either.  However, it pits perfectly on a JEM Guns poly frame.  Hopefully, if yours needs fitting, the material can come off the frame, which is where you want to remove it.

BTW, don't be too upset it the front trigger guard hole does not match up perfectly.  I've seen them misalign by .004".  No problem, just drill it out.

6 hours ago, jpl said:

Will SV triggers fit the Evo frame without a lot of filing on the the trigger track?

John, I’ve fit 4 of the EVO grips and each of them worked fine in the area of the trigger bow tracks. There’s was some filing required on the top and bottoms of the SV trigger shoe though. Each was a little different. YMMV

Cheers623

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished putting a new Evo PT on my older Briley ...STI frame.

The sucker wouldnt go all the way on.

Come to find out...the front lug for the teeny bolt was bottoming in the receiver grove of the PT grip.

The PT has a V notch and the STI frames front lug is square.

I also had to take a bit off the angles next to the front trigger guard.

IT DOESN'T TAKE MUCH. The grip slides on the frame at an angle.

Go slow and remove material from the grip...its the cheaper part.

Edited by WaJim

10 hours ago, WaJim said:

Just finished putting a new Evo PT on my older Briley ...STI frame.

The sucker wouldnt go all the way on.

Come to find out...the front lug for the teeny bolt was bottoming in the receiver grove of the PT grip.

The PT has a V notch and the STI frames front lug is square.

I also had to take a bit off the angles next to the front trigger guard.

IT DOESN'T TAKE MUCH. The grip slides on the frame at an angle.

Go slow and remove material from the grip...its the cheaper part.

Good note about the front post. I noticed the first couple of dry fits "smearing" material on the frame there.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, BeerBaron said:

Isn’t the frame the cheaper part? Grips are $600+ frames? <$300?

Depends if you count labor. If the frame is fitted to a slide and barrel then it seems better to risk the grip than a well-fitted gun. 

9 hours ago, Norther said:

Depends if you count labor. If the frame is fitted to a slide and barrel then it seems better to risk the grip than a well-fitted gun. 

^^^ THIS

Grips I think are the one time you go against the cardinal rule of filing/fitting the cheaper piece.

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve read that the EVO grips have very consistent internal dimensions. Asked PT to share but only got “it’ll fit”. Anyone able to get a measurement? I’m planning to order the EVO or possibly the new aggressive cheely but thinking my STI frame is on the fat side at 1.078 and may lean toward whichever requires less material removal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My second one took some serious fitting but nothing a novice careful person can't achieve on their own. Just remember, you can always take more material off but you can't put any back on......

Now someone is going to say hold my beer and grab a welder.....

On 3/11/2019 at 5:46 AM, MJinPA said:

I’ve read that the EVO grips have very consistent internal dimensions. Asked PT to share but only got “it’ll fit”. Anyone able to get a measurement? I’m planning to order the EVO or possibly the new aggressive cheely but thinking my STI frame is on the fat side at 1.078 and may lean toward whichever requires less material removal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try asking them for the specific deminsion you are concerned about.