Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mirror adaptation for 550C?

I'm a pretty meticulous (read slow and deliberate) reloader and never turn the shell plate until I am 100% sure everything is kosher.  It would be nice if I had some kind of mirror so I could see the powder charge at station 3 before I seat the bullet.  The way I sit at the bench, I have to lean in just a little to look down into the case, and I get a stiff neck after a little bit.  It would be nice if I could mount a small mirror.  I have In-line tool head lighting.  I don't want some slap dash thing, and I am not much of a Rube Goldberg. 

Is there anything after-market available for the 550C?

1 hour ago, jim6918 said:

This isn't as high tech, but it looks like it will work for me.  The flexible inspection mirror is from Harbor Freight; cost was $7.00.

I screwed it to my bench next to the strong mount.  

IMG_2171.JPG

IMG_2172.JPG

IMG_2173.JPG

I just saw that mirror the other day when I was in there and thought it could be useful for something like that, thank you for the pictures!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

@Youngeyes thank you for the inspiration. I followed your idea and found that not only was this extremely easy to build, but the final result made my experience reloading so much easier. 
The monitor and camera are powered by a 12v / 240v adaptor. I have added a push button switch so I can leave the power switch on. The push button is set next to my above bench light switch for easy accessibility to turn the setup on/off.

A simple ½" hole under the press allowed for cable management, because I sometimes move my bench I used a very simple plug so if I forget to unplug the setup, it simply pulls apart without damaging the cables/plugs.

RL550-Camera-Module.jpg

2 hours ago, militem_lucis said:

@Youngeyes thank you for the inspiration. I followed your idea and found that not only was this extremely easy to build, but the final result made my experience reloading so much easier. 
The monitor and camera are powered by a 12v / 240v adaptor. I have added a push button switch so I can leave the power switch on. The push button is set next to my above bench light switch for easy accessibility to turn the setup on/off.

A simple ½" hole under the press allowed for cable management, because I sometimes move my bench I used a very simple plug so if I forget to unplug the setup, it simply pulls apart without damaging the cables/plugs.

RL550-Camera-Module.jpg

Nice job. That's a sweet setup. I'm glad that you liked the idea. It's made my reloading much safer. BTW..that is the cleanest reloading bench that I have ever seen. 😀

• 9 months later...

I just saw this thread, and really like the idea of the video for the 550.  In the big picture, the solutions are not that expensive.  the LED lights are common and for sale a lot of places ( Ebay) and I have them for all my loaders already.  I am going to see if I can rig a video system I can easily move between loaders, as I have several I use and leave in a caliber for a long time.  The 550s are  the biggest concern for me as I can't easily see inside even with the lighting, and  the 650s have a spot for powder check if I wanted to install it.  I can see into the station and check powder visually.  I can post pics when I get it done with links and cost estimates, but it is looking like a system similar to those posted above will run about $50-60.

On 12/17/2019 at 11:06 AM, MG08 said:

I just saw this thread, and really like the idea of the video for the 550.  In the big picture, the solutions are not that expensive.  the LED lights are common and for sale a lot of places ( Ebay) and I have them for all my loaders already.  I am going to see if I can rig a video system I can easily move between loaders, as I have several I use and leave in a caliber for a long time.  The 550s are  the biggest concern for me as I can't easily see inside even with the lighting, and  the 650s have a spot for powder check if I wanted to install it.  I can see into the station and check powder visually.  I can post pics when I get it done with links and cost estimates, but it is looking like a system similar to those posted above will run about $50-60.

I got a round back up camera off amazon and it fits in the center hole that nothing goes in. So when I change tool heads I pop it out and back in the next one .  I use the same set up on my 750 but it stays on 40 so I don’t change it over .