Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Consumer interest in a steel P320 X-Five grip module?

Rudukai13

Trying to gauge what interest there might be if an aftermarket company were to produce a steel grip module for the P320, probably something similar in shape/ergonomics to the X-Five grip module. I'm picturing similar ergonomics, micropocket texturing for serious grip traction, provision for mounting a magwell (probably the OEM X-Series magwell).

- Who would be interested in buying one?

- How much would you be willing to pay?

-What features would you like on it?

Once I collect enough responses I'll forward the information to a few aftermarket manufacturers with the capability and lobby them to begin production. Let's hear your thoughts!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, beta1759 said:

i wouldn't be suprised if sig makes this option available soon. especially with the Q5 SF being released.

That is my hope, in all honesty. If not through Sig though, hopefully a third party manufacturer picks up the slack

16 minutes ago, beta1759 said:

i wouldn't be suprised if sig makes this option available soon. especially with the Q5 SF being released.

9 minutes ago, Rudukai13 said:

That is my hope, in all honesty. If not through Sig though, hopefully a third party manufacturer picks up the slack

I was thinking the same thing, with the new Walther release pending.

35 minutes ago, rocket99 said:

The only way we’ll be able to use it in production or carry optics will be if Sig produces one. An aftermarket one would only be useful in Limited or open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True, but I can see a metal grip module appealing to more than just competition shooters. Granted, that is certainly where the primary market would be.

That said it'd be popular for 3 Gun pistols as well

48 minutes ago, Rudukai13 said:

- Who would be interested in buying one?

- How much would you be willing to pay?

-What features would you like on it?

I would definitely be interested, however since it could only really be used as a range toy I wouldn't be looking to pay a lot.  Probably cant count on me to put up much $$.😂

If looking for more weight in you grip. This would be Production/CO legal. I know a couple of guys using this and they really like it. I am trying to save up for it myself.

http://www.shootingsportsinnovations.com/X5-Tungsten-Grip-Module-X5-Tungsten-Grip.htm

http://www.shootingsportsinnovations.com/X5-Tungsten-Slug-X5-SLUG.htm

15 hours ago, rocket99 said:

The only way we’ll be able to use it in production or carry optics will be if Sig produces one. An aftermarket one would only be useful in Limited or open.

I’d argue that it would be legal on Prod. & CO. Already allowed to replace grips and that is all this is. The gun is the FCU. Well, probably not for Production, would go way over weight. 

I’d argue that it would be legal on Prod. & CO. Already allowed to replace grips and that is all this is. The gun is the FCU. Well, probably not for Production, would go way over weight. 

I think you’re right for Carry Optics

3 hours ago, OPENB said:

Now that is an interesting take. I'm not entirely familiar with the rule book - Does is specifically allow changing out grips in Production and CO? If so swapping for an aftermarket grip module could very well be argued to be legal, assuming as mentioned the resulting package still makes weight.

Are you allowed to run a Fullsize slide on a Carry or Compact grip module in Production/CO? Or does it have to be a factory configuration?

Edited by Rudukai13

10 minutes ago, Rudukai13 said:

Now that is an interesting take. I'm not entirely familiar with the rule book - Does is specifically allow changing out grips in Production and CO? If so swapping for an aftermarket grip module could very well be argued to be legal, assuming as mentioned the resulting package still makes weight

Yes it does, in both appendices for production & CO, as long it doesn’t extend to form a make-shift mag well. It does say “grip panels,” but I’m guessing DNORI would interpret the Sig grip module to be synonymous with grip panel. 

Edited by OPENB

Put another mark in the win column for the P320's modularity 😎

So, an aftermarket grip module should be legal for Production and CO provided the total package meets the weight requirement. Given that additional information, would anyone else now be interested in one made of steel?

36 minutes ago, Shadyscott999 said:

I spent signifigant time looking into this exact thing last year.  I suspect you will be shocked when you get pricing.  I was.  

I suspect it will be somewhere near the price of a PT EVO grip, or significantly more for a small batch order. So I doubt I'll be surprised

28 minutes ago, Archer said:

The tolerances and fitting needed to install the FCU into a steel frame are daunting.  You can get away with it on polymer, but the slightest variation in FCU dims and things get ugly fast.

You've tried it yourself?

9 hours ago, Rudukai13 said:

I suspect it will be somewhere near the price of a PT EVO grip, or significantly more for a small batch order. So I doubt I'll be surprised

Prices I was quoted by 3 reputable machine shops with experience in this area were double the cost of an EVO and that was on a minimum run of 100 pieces.  

8 hours ago, Shadyscott999 said:

Prices I was quoted by 3 reputable machine shops with experience in this area were double the cost of an EVO and that was on a minimum run of 100 pieces.  

So significantly more for a small batch order, yeah. If you get a shop/manufacturer with the capacity (like Sig themselves) to pump out hundreds if not thousands of them at a time, the price would assuredly drop