Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Franklin arsenal vibraprime

New to loading. Bought vibraprimer with gift cards hoping to simplify reloading

Seems to work great with cci small pistol primers, really helpful. 

Pain in the rear with  winchester small pistol primers. 

Spring changes in gun SHOULD work better with  Winchester primers so would like to get them to cooperate with the franklin vibra primer. 

Any suggestions or experienced wisdom?

Edited by 3Dflyer

Primers vibrate over to the corner, begin to drop in the hole and stop.  A quick rap on the table often drops the primer into the tube, but the next one stops in the exact way.  Banging the tube on the table 5 times for each primer is not a time saving event.

I have tried to adjust the plastic tray and tube alignments but have found no improvements.

Vibra Prime users seem to have varying degrees of success with the unit. 

Some have no problems; it just seems to work.

Others report that after doing some work on the area around the exit port, removing flash, smoothing, etc. then the unit works.

Then there are those who can't get it to work at all and toss it.

I'm lucky 'cuz mine worked fine right out of the box.

I'd buy it again but I know there are those who would not.

PS: Mine works with CCI500 and S&B SPP. I haven't tried it with Winchesters.

CCI500's worked great for the 400 primers I ran through it.  I ran out and bought Winchesters and they get hung up.  I worry that modifying to make Winchesters work may negatively impact the CCI success.

I will try to search for other threads.

12 hours ago, 3Dflyer said:

CCI500's worked great for the 400 primers I ran through it.  I ran out and bought Winchesters and they get hung up.  I worry that modifying to make Winchesters work may negatively impact the CCI success.

I will try to search for other threads.

You can get replacement parts from the parent company "Battenfeld Technologies" https://www.btibrands.com/product/vibra-prime/

So if you mess up the tray you can get a replacement. Or set up two trays one for each primer type.

Also: I just did a general google of the internet and got more hits on the VibraPrime and getting it to work than I could ever read in a day. 

So there is information out there if you need more data points.

Good luck!

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 5:42 PM, 3Dflyer said:

Primers vibrate over to the corner, begin to drop in the hole and stop.  A quick rap on the table often drops the primer into the tube, but the next one stops in the exact way.  Banging the tube on the table 5 times for each primer is not a time saving event.

I have tried to adjust the plastic tray and tube alignments but have found no improvements.

As mentioned above, sometimes tipping the tray at different angles in both the X and Y planes will improve the flow of primers.

Load it up as usual and once a primer hangs up try tipping/rotating the tray until the primers start flowing again.

Also, take a good look at the tray where the small primer hole is located, sometimes there will be mold flash/burr in that area.

Use a magnifier, and if you see flash carefully remove it by scraping it with a razor blade or Exacto  knife.

😀

Edit: here's some vids on problems you didn't know you had: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Vibra+Prime+Mod

Edited by Kenstone

• 2 weeks later...

I rolled up a piece of 800 grit sandpaper and ran it thru the hole in the tray a few times and then followed it up with some 3000 grit sandpaper.  After that I put some imperial sizing wax on the 3000 grit sandpaper and ran it in the hole again.  Now Mines works great and if it does get stuck I just shake it or tap it and it falls right in.  It rarely gets stuck now but if it does, it just take a tap or two. 

I had the hornady version and that one was really bad. 

Edited by jskd82

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just got a 1050, and bought a vibraprime an man is this thing frustrating. I’m using win small pistol primers. Gonna try it with federal spp and see if those work better. If not then I’ll get some cci primers. It would work well for like 5 primers then one would get stuck and I have to take it apart. Spend 15 mins loading 100 primers with it and then 6 minutes actually loading the rounds. Ended up just going back picking them up with with the tube. 

I was able to get mine to work fine with win spp. I did clean up any flashing left over and lightly sanded the hole for the primers. If you haven’t, google vibraprime fix, there should be a few videos pop up for you.

Win lpp do what you’re describing though....

Good luck with whatever you do. When it works it’s great, but is really frustrating when it doesn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with Eric85.  I had a lot of frustration with mine when I first started using it.  Cleaning up and flashing around the edges and sanding the hole with very fine sandpaper fixed 90% of the problem.  I also drilled a small hole in the plastic cover directly over the hole so that when I do get one that sticks I can take a toothpick and nudge it straight.  you just have to barely touch it to line it up and then it falls right in.  Usually I only get one that I have to nudge every 200-300 primers.  I use a toothpick because I don't want to touch the anvil with any metal, just in case.  There are several other tweaks you can to do improve it even more but I find that mine works so well I wouldn't take an RF100 if it was given to me now. 

I was using wolf and now win SPP's. Mine didn't work AT ALL at first. Part of it is technique, part is crappy finishing.

I took a drill bit the same size as the SPP opening and reamed it by hand I then went up a few sizes and didn't an extremely light chamfer on the bottom side of the tray and just a quick swipe of the top. 

I would say it works 99% now. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just got into my stash of federal SRP and SPP and the vibraprime works awesome. I mean 100% perfect. But doesn’t work worth a crap with win. So weird. With the fed it takes all of 10-15 seconds to fill up the whole tube. 

On 4/4/2019 at 9:26 AM, racerba said:

works 99.9% with win spp for me...I just use it without the locking tip that comes with it.  when i was using the tip, that's when i got problems.

You mean the black piece that locks in? How does it work without it? You just hold it in? I’m wondering because I thought you had to use that. And I only have one tube, but I have 4 regular Dillion tubes. And I liked to fill up multiple tubes before I start loading. But I thought I couldn’t do that since I only had only the one tube that cane with it. If that makes sense. I’d like to be able to fill up all 5 at once. 

You mean the black piece that locks in? How does it work without it? You just hold it in? I’m wondering because I thought you had to use that. And I only have one tube, but I have 4 regular Dillion tubes. And I liked to fill up multiple tubes before I start loading. But I thought I couldn’t do that since I only had only the one tube that cane with it. If that makes sense. I’d like to be able to fill up all 5 at once. 

Yeah, you can just hold the primer tube up to the tray and they’ll go right in. A lot have removed the black piece from the filler. I haven’t only because mine works ok (for spp) with it in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 4/4/2019 at 6:55 AM, Jfitz427 said:

I just got into my stash of federal SRP and SPP and the vibraprime works awesome. I mean 100% perfect. But doesn’t work worth a crap with win. So weird. With the fed it takes all of 10-15 seconds to fill up the whole tube. 

This is normal. They love CCI and Federal, and S&B run really well. Don’t even bother buying Winchester anymore unless you want to deal with the frustration.

Mark the spot directly above the hole with a sharpie, take the cover off and drill a small hole in it. You can use a small allen wrench or toothpick to straighten cocked ones and it makes clearing jams very quick.

I second the idea to use 800 then 1,500+ sandpaper to polish the hole slightly. Helps a lot.

Just take the stupid plastic locking key out of your vibraprime’s bottom permanently - I don’t even know where mine is. Slide the tray in, hold the primer tube square against the bottom of it, and fill it up. Goes much faster.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

On 1/20/2019 at 12:49 AM, jskd82 said:

I rolled up a piece of 800 grit sandpaper and ran it thru the hole in the tray a few times and then followed it up with some 3000 grit sandpaper.  After that I put some imperial sizing wax on the 3000 grit sandpaper and ran it in the hole again.  Now Mines works great and if it does get stuck I just shake it or tap it and it falls right in.  It rarely gets stuck now but if it does, it just take a tap or two. 

I had the hornady version and that one was really bad. 

This.  Didn't use that grit but worked on the opening on the tray.  I'm even able to load directly into the Dillon tubes with no issues.