Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sig Max Michel 1911 40 S&W spring and load question

Magictalent

Hi classic masters, I need help to setup a Sig Max Michel 1911 in 40 SW to use in IPSC for my friend.
I do not have much experience in 1911. (I am a CZ guy, only have one SAM and one SPS)
I have some question as below and hope someone can help me out.
1. what main/recoil spring combination is good for 40 Major, and what main/recoil spring combination is good for 40 minor?
2. I know I need to replace the magwell to make it IPSC legal, witch one I should go to? ICE or Techwell?
3. I understand it come with a 80 series trigger. Can I do the trigger job like what I have done to my 70 series? 

Thank you very much for your help!

40 minutes ago, Magictalent said:

Hi classic masters, I need help to setup a Sig Max Michel 1911 in 40 SW to use in IPSC for my friend.
I do not have much experience in 1911. (I am a CZ guy, only have one SAM and one SPS)
I have some question as below and hope someone can help me out.
1. what main/recoil spring combination is good for 40 Major, and what main/recoil spring combination is good for 40 minor?
2. I know I need to replace the magwell to make it IPSC legal, witch one I should go to? ICE or Techwell?
3. I understand it come with a 80 series trigger. Can I do the trigger job like what I have done to my 70 series? 

Thank you very much for your help!

I can’t speak for 1 and 3, or the IPSC rules on 2, but having used the Dawson ICE and Techwell both, I really prefer the ICE.  Hope that helps. (a little)

1. 12-14 lbs recoil springs, 17 main spring cause it will light everything off, and it's not any harder to get a 1.5lbs trigger if properly done.

2. either is great

3. Get an 80 series filler plate from brownells and adjust the sear spring as needed.  Ignition parts are egw, so at most will only need some light polishing.

If you're going for less you should know what to do!

1: 

179PF- 15lb spring

167PF- 14 lb spring

155PF- 13 lb spring

143PF-12 lb spring

131PF- 11 lb spring

119PF- 10 lb spring

2:  no help

3: yes.  There is no need to swap out the 80 series parts.  You can get a perfect job with them in.  Also, many venues prohibit you from using a gun with any safety features disabled.  That is exactly why I keep my Custom Shop Sig Tacops factory.  It is Series 80 and has an outstanding trigger job.

3 hours ago, zzt said:

1: 

179PF- 15lb spring

167PF- 14 lb spring

155PF- 13 lb spring

143PF-12 lb spring

131PF- 11 lb spring

119PF- 10 lb spring

2:  no help

3: yes.  There is no need to swap out the 80 series parts.  You can get a perfect job with them in.  Also, many venues prohibit you from using a gun with any safety features disabled.  That is exactly why I keep my Custom Shop Sig Tacops factory.  It is Series 80 and has an outstanding trigger job.

Thanks for the info.  

• 2 weeks later...

The gun show up last night.
Good sight and great balance. Love it.
Trigger........
Well lets say I need some suggestion to deal with the series 80 trigger.
It is not too too bad, but weight more than 4 lb, and it feel "Compressing spring" and not smooth.
I am capable to tune 70 series gun and get 2 lb trigger reliably. But this is going to be my first time working on a 80 series. 
My plan as follow.
Polish below parts
Disconnector
Trigger bow
Pins
Firing ping plunger
Firing ping plunger lever
Not going to touch sear engagement at this point.

Adjust disconnector spring and sear spring weight.

Do I miss anything?

Remove the series 80 parts and install the filler plate from Brownells. It's the standard size. The internals are EGW, so you should not need to touch them. I have the same pistol and this is all I did to it. Made a big difference with the trigger.

On 12/27/2018 at 4:53 AM, jcc7x7 said:

7 main spring cause it will light everything off, and it's not any harder to get a 1.5lbs trigger if properly done.

2. either is great

3. Get an 80 series filler plate from brownells and adjust the sear spring as

I am hoping I can keep the 80 series parts in and achieve 3- 3.5 lb trigger pull weight if it is possible.

Jim

2 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: 17lb ISMI mainspring, 14lb ISMI recoil spring for major, 12.5lb ISMI recoil spring for minor. Dawson IPSC magwell and use the series 80 filler and adjust the sear spring. That should make it a great shooter. Thanks, Eric

Thank you very much Eric.

I am want to keep the 80 series parts and achieve 3-3.5 lbs pull weight.

I do not worry about the longer trigger pull too much.

May I also ask your load data for the Max 1911?

Do I need to load longer? My current load is OAL 1.135 180 RN and 4.6 gr Titegroup. (40 S&W)

Jim 

• 2 months later...

Like others have said. 17lbs mainspring, 14 recoil spring. I hear the max trigger is garbage, but you should be able to get it where you want it with some cleanup or better, new internals. I use a Brazos trigger kit in all my guns. You may need to take your gun to a gunsmith if you use any trigger kit, to fit your thumb safety. I do my own, but all the filing sucks.

• 3 weeks later...