Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RIA VR80 coming in 2019

Rudukai13

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have shot a similar velocity and the recoil was super harsh. We shoot the Fiocchi 1300fps slugs. I have also shot the Freedom Munitiions Xtreme 1300fps slugs. We zero @ 50 yards and they both drop about 6" -- 8"@ 100 yards during testing. Both of these are readily available. Recoil is very manageable.

gerritm

On 1/12/2022 at 5:35 AM, gerritm said:

after removing the bolt hold open tab

I am tuning my various VR80 mags now.  How are you removing the bolt hold open tab from the followers?  I see the 19 round mag followers have a metal tab and a pin holding it in. I see the 5 and 10 round mags have plastic tabs with no pin. For the followers with the pins I assume you can punch the pin out to get the bolt hold open tab. How are you removing the tabs without the pin?  Thank you for all of the help and tips. 

19 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

How was the accuracy and the drop at 100 meters/yds?

Dead on just the drop of 6-8". We were shooting a steel IPSC silhouette.

I just push the pin out and remove the tab & spring.

gerritm

Hey All - here is some information on slugs that may be useful.

I like the Fiocchi 7/8 ounce low recoil slugs (1300 fps), mainly because I bought a can of them a few years ago and still have them :) (yeah, I know the handwritten info on the target says 1150 fps, that is inaccurate). These are fairly soft shooting with a noticeable reduction from the 1500 fps full strength loads. 

The orange target spot is the point of aim for both 50 and 100 yard distances, using an IC choke. At 100 yards, getting about a 6" drop. I have achieved better accuracy in the past, but for an IPSC or ABC style target, that is plenty accurate enough without having to make much adjustment. 

Compared to my Stoeger M3K, which required various holds up to the right, the VR80 is a straight shooter. 

I put the final touches on my new VR80 "race gun" and will post soon. 

Hope this helps!

IMG_1829.jpg

IMG_1828.jpg

Edited by CO3Gunner

On 1/28/2022 at 12:18 AM, Boomstick303 said:

How are you removing the bolt hold open tab from the followers?  removing the tabs without the pin?  Thank you for all of the help and tips. 

After doing some from inside the mags  I think I ended up tugging them straight out, pulling on the triangular tab with a pliers. I replaced the springs with the springs in a BiC Velocity retractable pen. They were available in a pack with a cluster of colors so there were enough for a batch of mags. https://www.staples.com/BIC-Velocity-Retractable-Ballpoint-Pens-Medium-Point-Blue-12-pack-16263-VLG11BL/product_431464

On 1/28/2022 at 1:51 AM, AKJD said:

For those using the Pro-Mag 20 round drum, will it work with an added magwell?

Nope the front of the added well keeps the mag from going in deep enough for the catch to hold it in place, so it an either or. I don't want to hack up the drum or mag well so use use of the drum is left to another Turk gun, my Hatsan you can see the space at the front of the well.

DSCN5658 (2).JPG

DRUM (3).JPG

Edited by slappyjack
added pic

On 1/29/2022 at 5:58 AM, slappyjack said:

Nope the front of the added well keeps the mag from going in deep enough for the catch to hold it in place, so it an either or. I don't want to hack up the drum or mag well so use use of the drum is left to another Turk gun, my Hatsan you can see the space at the front of the well.

DSCN5658 (2).JPG

DRUM (3).JPG

Thanks, that’s what I figured. Same with my VEPR.

Update on my journey to VR80 reliability. Have not drilled out the gas ports.  Shot a small 3run match Saturday with low round count BS. Ran perfect with 1145 11/8oz. AA, But when I tried some hot Remington #6 1500fps BS on the spinner.2 cycled OK other 2 over ran the bolt and had to manually eject to rack next round in. Need to keep around 1300fps.

Shot a 250-300 round falling steel hoser match Sunday.  Very cool weather to start upper 30's. All steel 35 to 56 rounds per stage. Fast & furious. Ran out of 1145AA so got 750 rounds of Winn AA 1180fps 1oz. extra light rounds for mine & my son's Benelli M2. His shoots anything. Never shot these before, but figured the FPS was hot enough.

Wrong!  Would not run in mine. Turned into a single shot, might run 1 or 2 in a row, but not consistent. After 2 stages of frustration found a friend and traded for some Win X 1290 FPS 1oz and they worked. Live & learn never shoot something different in a match 200 miles away. Really liking how it shoots, as I figure it out.

gerritm 

"... never shoot something different in a match 200 miles away." Ain't that the truth! 

I have drilled out the gas ports on both my VR80s and found that the "sweet spot" for them is 1200-1250 fps. Although it can run 1145s, I don't find that there is enough of a difference to risk the reliability. 

For 1400+ fps, you will need the heavier gas piston, otherwise the action will cycle too fast and the bolt won't pick-up the next round (as you discovered). 

In our defense I thought we had shot these before. Hard to find quality SG ammo and you take what you can get. I have always shot Winn AA 1145 -1250  when available and never thought the shot weight would matter that much as long as the FPS was fast enough. Mine runs 1145 AA & Fiocchi 1165 1 1/8 oz all day long. Live & Learn.

gerritm

I have shot 1500 plus FPS with the light gas piston with no problem, but if you are going to shoot them exclusively then they recommend the heavy. Not sure why they ran & the birdshot didn't. But even so it beats the gun up running really hot loads with the light piston. That is why we run the 1300fps slugs. 

gerritm

2 hours ago, gerritm said:

That is why we run the 1300fps slugs. 

I am looking for some but have not had any luck yet.  I think I may have found some Federal at Optics Planet.  I intend to only buy 1300 fps (max) slugs moving forward.  I have about 50 Federal slugs running at 1500 fps.  I may just try to sell those.  We are looking for rifled slugs correct?  Not slugs designed for rifled barrels. 

I also had a question if there is any choke that we should not use with slugs?

Thanks for all of the help.

Reply to Boomstick303:  

The light piston will be just fine with any slug. 

Yes on rifled slugs, that is what you want to shoot out of a smooth bore barrel (like the VR80). That is what they are made for, as the rifling on the slug allows for some deformation of the projectile as it travels through the choke tube. You can shoot sabot rounds out of a rifled barrel, but not recommended for smooth bore. 

Generally speaking, you want to use Cylinder Bore (C), Skeet (SK) or Improved Cylinder (IC) for slugs. I have gotten away with Modified (accidentally), but as a rule I try to stick to IC. If you use Modified or higher, the slug is going to blast through the choke tube, but your accuracy will not be as good and obviously it puts a lot of wear and tear on the choke. 

As a rule, for a stage that involves slugs I will use an IC or SK choke, depending on how close the other targets are and/or if there are clays involved. More clays = SK, more steel = IC. 

Edited by CO3Gunner

6 hours ago, gerritm said:

In our defense I thought we had shot these before. Hard to find quality SG ammo and you take what you can get. I have always shot Winn AA 1145 -1250  when available and never thought the shot weight would matter that much as long as the FPS was fast enough. Mine runs 1145 AA & Fiocchi 1165 1 1/8 oz all day long. Live & Learn.

gerritm

I hear ya!

I'm scouring the Interwebs weekly to find my preferred SG ammo.