Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rear sight profile opinions

vgdvc

Hello. Does anyone have opinions based on experience formed regarding different rear sight blade profiles. I have experimented with the  basic square edge Bomar ,cut top angles and more dramatic profiles such as found on a Warren Tactical type. Comments on front sight blade width and width of rear notch are also welcomed. Thanks.

I like a full blade square notch rear. I also like something around the 110 profile for the rear and 100 for the front. I tried others including U notch rear and the same profile mention with the tapered style corners of the rear blade, but I didnt care for them. 

One of my observations is this. I put a Warren Tactical rear sight on my limited gun and did not get a chance to shoot it. The next match I went to, after talking too another experienced limited shooter,he mentioned he did the same thing and could not shoot accurately at speed with it. Whether I put that in my mind or not I would say I had to agree with him once I started experimenting with that profile. I thought the generously cut sides would allow more target visibility in that would be an advantage. SVI makes a Bo mar adjustable with an almost identical blade profile. Maybe there really is something to it and I'm just not seeing what I need to see when trying to shoot quickly and accurately at close to medium range targets.

I go from BoMars (both squared and melted corners) to LPA to S&W Revolvers with stock factory and Millets (rear sight look kind of like a bomar) once I'm shooting I never notice the difference in the look of the rear sight.

It's all about the "notch and post" look.  They need to have a deep notch and wide enough to see light bars on each side of the FS.  I agree white dots seem busy so I don't use them, the LPA's have them and I blacked them out.

I don't even notice a difference in having the rears serrated, partially serrated or even notched into a frame.

As for asthetics, it's hard to beat melted Combat BoMar's (radiused corners).

As for RS vs FS dimensions check out the Front Sight Magazine Sept-Oct it had a good article by Bob Londrigan.

• 3 weeks later...

After shooting with the beveled profiles that come on Novak Lo-Mounts both fixed and adjustable, I find that going back to the big blade on my Bo-Mars just felt like I was hiding too much of the target...so I beveled the corners on all my Bo-Mars and LPA's.  I don't know if I shoot any better but I like seeing as much of the target as I do with them set up like this.

• 3 weeks later...

I replaced the factory STI rear sight (standard square blade) with a kensight beveled blade when i first started shooting limited becuase i thought the factory STI rear sight made it difficult for me to look at the front sight. After 13k rounds and a the purchase of an additional pistol (new primary pistol), i am staying with the factory STI rear sights because i can see the front sight easier....go figure haha.

Ive been using the Frank proctor Y notch rear sight and fiber optic front on my 1911 for about a year now. I have been pretty happy with it compared to other fixed rear pistol sights. New 1911 which will be coming soon will have a square bomar rear. Not sure how they will compare since I have no experience with target style rear sights.