Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do different mods actually pay out in open?

B_RAD

In other divisions it's my belief that most mods or upgraded parts (e.g. trigger, sight, steel guide rod) don't really make much difference. At least not significantly. Yes, a better trigger is helpful when you have a horrible one but for the most part even that is not keeping anyone from winning.  Time and money usually are better spent on ammo and practice!

So, in a division like open where the entire point is to maximize every benefit from gear, my question is, is it any different?  I mean, assuming the guns run, I'm thinking a sight tracker barrel vs a standard barrel is isn't gonna make any difference in stage runs. 

I know very little about open. I'm not afraid to ask questions.  I know I like it from the little I've shot. Trying to decide if I'm gonna go all in for open. I started out in production then moved to Limited, then to CO and now I'm trying open. Each time I've liked the new division a little better than the last. Open seems to be the most expensive and require the most maintenance/upkeep but I think it may be worth it!  

Looking into getting a gun built. The sky is the limit on options. So, I'm kinda overwhelmed with the options. 

Also, let me explain why I'm looking at getting a gun built. I have a CK Thunder. Its been 100% reliable but I believe you need a back up gun. So, looking at the prices for open guns, I contacted a builder and got a quote. The quoted price surprised me in a good way. Just makes sense to go the build route vs buy another CK. 

Edited by B_RAD

In other divisions it's my belief that most mods or upgraded parts (e.g. trigger, sight, steel guide rod) don't really make much difference. At least not significantly. Yes, a better trigger is helpful when you have a horrible one but for the most part even that is not keeping anyone from winning.  Time and money usually are better spent on ammo and practice!

So, in a division like open where the entire point is to maximize every benefit from gear, my question is, is it any different?  I mean, assuming the guns run, I'm thinking a sight tracker barrel vs a standard barrel is isn't gonna make any difference in stage runs. 

I know very little about open. I'm not afraid to ask questions.  I know I like it from the little I've shot. Trying to decide if I'm gonna go all in for open. I started out in production then moved to Limited, then to CO and now I'm trying open. Each time I've liked the new division a little better than the last. Open seems to be the most expensive and require the most maintenance/upkeep but I think it may be worth it!  

Looking into getting a gun built. The sky is the limit on options. So, I'm kinda overwhelmed with the options. 

I'd say the biggest thing in gaining time in an advantageous manner would be developing your load properly so your dot tracking is as flat to your liking as possible. HS6, 3N38 are great in gassing up the comp and keeping dot within glass.

Slide racker is great for barrel start starts so you can have the fun slightly tipped up towards your strong hand.

The dot you choose will also make a difference for you. I recently saw a buddy with the new Holosun red dot and the glass is huge! Definitely consider it

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Rnlinebacker said:

I'd say the biggest thing in gaining time in an advantageous manner would be developing your load properly so your dot tracking is as flat to your liking as possible. HS6, 3N38 are great in gassing up the comp and keeping dot within glass.

Slide racker is great for barrel start starts so you can have the fun slightly tipped up towards your strong hand.

The dot you choose will also make a difference for you. I recently saw a buddy with the new Holosun red dot and the glass is huge! Definitely consider it

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input. I should have mentioned I'm shooting 9 major. 

I will be developing a load soon. Currently, shooting 7.0 WAC w/124 PD JHP @1.165".  

A better gun is nice, and can make it easier for someone to shoot better scores. It won't improve their scores. Time and effort are the only ways to do that. A better shooting experience just makes it take less effort or gives you more room for error to shoot higher scores, IMO.

That being said, have you talked to Venom Custom for a quote on a gun?

Once you go open there’s no looking back! 

I don’t believe you need a back up, most builders today have very reliable machines,  that being said it will have hiccups, it will malfunction.  It’s a right of passage!  

I had a gun for 7 months give me fits, never could run a complete match, blah blah blah. But stick with it find a load, and boom one day it will all be right with the open gods! Good luck may the force be with you 

10 minutes ago, Gooldylocks said:

A better gun is nice, and can make it easier for someone to shoot better scores. It won't improve their scores. Time and effort are the only ways to do that. A better shooting experience just makes it take less effort or gives you more room for error to shoot higher scores, IMO.

That's who I talked to. 

Edited by B_RAD

3 minutes ago, Gooldylocks said:

Awesome builder, great guy to talk with !!!! Guns run!!! 

Edited by Mlussoro

28 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

...a better trigger is helpful when you have a horrible one but for the most part even that is not keeping anyone from winning.  Time and money usually are better spent on ammo and practice!

I would say that a better trigger is more than just "helpful". The trigger, in my opinion, is THE most important aspect of a firearm. The gun firing when you want, not before, not after, is critical to accuracy. Trigger work is often overlooked but should be your focus, which is where talented gunsmiths come in. I believe that most custom gunsmiths and gun manufacturers can slowly and patiently get your trigger right. I have seen so many problems when people try to become DIY home experts and do their own trigger work. It becomes a nightmare. 

My recommendation would be to find an Open Gun Manufacturer that is near you in case there are any adjustments needed. I was lucky since I live so close to one, but even more lucky when I received an Open Gun without need for any further adjustment. 

As for modifications in general. Why not just get everything all at once? Then, when you improve, it is all due to you and only you, not your mods. Just my two cents. 

2 hours ago, B_RAD said:

I believe you need a back up gun.  

Absolutely    !!!!

If NOTHING goes wrong with your primary gun, it will spend weeks or months at

a gunsmith one day to be reconditioned, at least.   You will want a 2nd gun so

you can "stay in the game".

Especially important if you travel to matches or enter large matches - anything

goes wrong, and you just break out the 2nd gun     :) 

16 minutes ago, brytec said:

I have 2 V8 open guns built by venom custom... primary and back up!  you won’t be disappointed!  Very good guy and does great work!  Super fast turnaround too!

Awesome to hear. I've not heard anything but great reviews!  

Hello, I agree with the back up gun if your a serious open guy, along with all the mods up front at the get go.  You don't want to start sending guns back for mods that you know you wanted in the first place.  However, if you do go back up I strongly suggest it be ( Identical) to your primary, it's the right way.  Good luck.