Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone ever Arb a local?

RJH

So has anyone ever actually arbed or gotten a stage tossed at a local?  I have thought about a time or to, but didn't want to be "that guy."   And i only thought about it when it was something really off the wall and not remotely in line with the rules.  At most locals i figure they are trying so I just roll with it.  So if you have, how did it go over?  Were you shunned by everyone else or the local hero haha? And what was the issue?

Locally, we get the occasional classifier tossed. Sometimes for only being an inch or two out of spec. But field courses? We generally catch it soon enough to fix it. Then again our section is very CRO, RO heavy. We generally have several per squad locally. That helps.

23 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Locally, we get the occasional classifier tossed. Sometimes for only being an inch or two out of spec. But field courses? We generally catch it soon enough to fix it. Then again our section is very CRO, RO heavy. We generally have several per squad locally. That helps.

Rookie! We'll throw a classifier out if they're just a half inch out of spec!

We've had stages tossed. We've had to convert classifiers into normal stages because an error wasn't caught until halfway through. Usually if someone is willing to arb over something they're usually right and the MD just lets a reshoot. Otherwise we have enough certified people to convince whomever they'd just lose the arb.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Did not go to arb but caused a squad to reshoot.  Local range that is more 3 gunners than USPSA types had a stage of two  arrays of 4 targets each with a required reload between arrays.  WSB stated no penalty for not reloading, idea was to allow PCC to post really quick times.  Section coordinator was there and had not caught the problem.  I pointed out that it is a per shot penalty for not doing the required reload.  They brought the first squad back to reshoot. 

This is what happens when non USPSA people try to run USPSA matches.  Or when I try to run IDPA matches. 

Paul

27 minutes ago, paul788 said:

a required reload between arrays.

WSB stated no penalty for not reloading.

Were both “required” and “no penalty” featured in the WRITTEN stage briefing?

Idea was to allow PCC to post really quick times. 

Just PCC. Not everybody else? 

They brought the first squad back to reshoot. 

On the grounds that they had a WSB that was contrary to the rules, I guess?

It sounds like your locals need to learn to crush PCC reloads. They’re about as fast a handgun when done properly.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

4 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

It sounds like your locals need to learn to crush PCC reloads. They’re about as fast a handgun when done properly.

I’d be curious to learn more about this since I suck at PCC (and rifle) reloads. Maybe something to start another thread on?

5 hours ago, DKorn said:

I’d be curious to learn more about this since I suck at PCC (and rifle) reloads. Maybe something to start another thread on?

Pretty simple. I followed the advice of Max Leograndis (2x National champ) and Zack Smith, who has won a big match or two himself.

1) load like an AR, not a handgun.

2) big. Magwell.

3) use a long mag.

4) grip it like a beercan. Skip the “index finger down the front of a pistol mag” style nonsense.

5) keep the gun up and shouldered.

Proof:

You can’t hit the magwell with a pistol-style load if the gun is shouldered because of the awkward bend your weak wrist needs to make. So everyone takes the stock off their shoulder and tries to feed it like a giant pistol after rolling it sideways. Surprise, it’s big long and heavy. That makes moving it relatively slow.

Here’s one of mine, a botched reload from my second time ever shooting PCC. Even this trainwreck of a reload is vastly quicker than what most are doing:

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Apologies for keeping the thread drift going. 

I am going to add some skate tape to the body of my large mags to help with seating.  I recently shot a high round count match where even PCCs were reloading.  I was reloading from a 33-rd to my 47.  On one stage my hand slipped a bit and I didn't seat the mag fully on a closed bolt, which resulted in a "Bang! Thud!" as the mag hit the dirt after the next shot.  Thankfully I had small spares on my belt to finish the stage.

5 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Apologies for keeping the thread drift going. 

I am going to add some skate tape to the body of my large mags to help with seating.  I recently shot a high round count match where even PCCs were reloading.  I was reloading from a 33-rd to my 47.  On one stage my hand slipped a bit and I didn't seat the mag fully on a closed bolt, which resulted in a "Bang! Thud!" as the mag hit the dirt after the next shot.  Thankfully I had small spares on my belt to finish the stage.

I’m going to weld a couple of colt mags together, I think. 32+10 is too difficult to consistently seat on a closed bolt... til you strip more than 3-4 rounds out of it.

I’d like to have 45 or so on an unloaded start, and to seat easily, I’d want a mag capacity of 50-55 rounds so it clicks right in nice and easy because it’s downloaded 10 rounds.

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I’m going to weld a couple of colt mags together, I think. 32+10 is too difficult to consistently seat on a closed bolt... til you strip more than 3-4 rounds out of it.

I’d like to have 45 or so on an unloaded start, and to seat easily, I’d want a mag capacity of 50-55 rounds so it clicks right in nice and easy because it’s downloaded 10 rounds.

I download my 47's to 45, and I hadn't had any issues up until that stage.  I think because the distance between arrays was shorter on that stage that I rushed it.