Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's the latest AA7 load?

j33716

10.4gr.     115gr Montana Gold JHP. 1.150 coal. Range pickup brass s&b primers. 9mm

Right at 175pf flattest load I've come up with. I've tried auto comp, shilouett, hs6, win 572, 3n38 powders and tried 115 coated and 124 bullets. I pair with a 8# variable wolff spring and 10oz slide. Infinity sight tracker barrel 2-3/16 people holes and Cheely titanium comp.

This is also the most accurate load I've come up with. Very accurate.  

3n38 is probably just about the same but I cannot get the bullets to seat consistently @ 1.150. Plus 3n38 likes to spill while loading and is $$. 

I can load longer but notice that velocity spread opens up if I load longer. I think it's due to neck tension or lack of. 

Only problem I have is that #7 is dirty. Probably the dirtiest powder I've tried. But I clean often so it doesnt give me problems!

Edited by Stymie12000

On 10/30/2018 at 11:51 AM, lacivilian said:

Heard this stuff is "eating through barrels." Can anyone who has been shooting it for a while share their experience/ round count? Interested in shooting it in 9mm.

It doesn't eat through barrels. I started shooting it exclusively in 2016. Shot enough to break 5 slides but haven't worn out a barrel yet. Mostly KKM barrels, one SV ultimatch, and one SV AET. 

24 minutes ago, theWacoKid said:

It doesn't eat through barrels. I started shooting it exclusively in 2016. Shot enough to break 5 slides but haven't worn out a barrel yet. Mostly KKM barrels, one SV ultimatch, and one SV AET. 

Awesome news.

10.5gr AA7 115 Everglades v2 JHP @1.160  173PF 5" barrel commander slide with 2 5/32nd holes. Gun is dirty after every match but as long as i dont over oil the gun the dirtiness doesn't matter . Soon as you over oil you start to get a sludge build up that will slow your slide down after 500 or so rounds. 

On 10/30/2018 at 11:51 AM, lacivilian said:

Heard this stuff is "eating through barrels." Can anyone who has been shooting it for a while share their experience/ round count? Interested in shooting it in 9mm.

From internet research only, the old formula AA7 was very abrasive. The new stuff is OK, possibly made in a different location as well.

I'm going to it next.

On 11/9/2018 at 7:18 PM, zombywoof said:

From internet research only, the old formula AA7 was very abrasive. The new stuff is OK, possibly made in a different location as well.

I'm going to it next.

good to know that, thanks a lot

For those using AA#7, when I tried it, had powder spilling from the powder bar sides (Dillon RL 1050). Any solution for this? Does anyone use the Arredondo’s plastic powder bar replacement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 hour ago, dvc4you said:

For those using AA#7, when I tried it, had powder spilling from the powder bar sides (Dillon RL 1050). Any solution for this? Does anyone use the Arredondo’s plastic powder bar replacement?

The newer powder measures have been good. I think there was an update to the fit of the powder bar at some time to help with this.  Mine have been good.  One eventually got tight on me, but no leaking and after removing the powder bar, cleaning everything out, and sanding where the bar was dragging a bit it's smooth again.

Have you tried contacting Dillon?  They may help you out with newer parts.

1 hour ago, dvc4you said:

I seen a post where someone used tape on top of the bar. I think it was masking tape. He cut it to cover the top of the bar. 

He said in the post that the arredondo was better but still didn't work as good as the tape. 

I'll try to find the post. 

The newer powder measures have been good. I think there was an update to the fit of the powder bar at some time to help with this.  Mine have been good.  One eventually got tight on me, but no leaking and after removing the powder bar, cleaning everything out, and sanding where the bar was dragging a bit it's smooth again.

Have you tried contacting Dillon?  They may help you out with newer parts.

I have a “collection” of Dillon powder measures I will try one that is not circa 1997...Lol

Thanks for the quote, I remembered reading something about it... I will try the masking tape modification.