Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hammer002

In  the  event  that  inadvertent  contact  from  the  Range  Officer  or  another

external influence has interfered with the competitor during a course of

fire, the Range Officer may offer the competitor a reshoot of the course

of  fire.  The  competitor  must  accept  or  decline  the  offer  prior  to  seeing 

either  the  time  or  the  score  from  the  initial  attempt.  However,  in  the 

event  that  the  competitor  commits  a  safety  infraction  during  any  such

interference, the provisions of Section 10.3 may still apply.

My question is after a discussion with someone I hold to higher rule knowledge than myself who said not every RO touching the competitor during a course of fire is a reshoot.  He said its up to RO discretion to offer it.   I had always heard that was the interpretation of the rule.  From looking at the rule again, I would say he was right, as usual.  So why is it we have the situations where competitors are said to purposely run into the RO for a reshoot.  Seems its up to the RO.  Maybe everyone else knew this but me, however I had read it here many times attributing, humorously, the behavior as common with Open shooters.

Edited by Hammer002

If you’re trying to get from A to B, then back to A for an array of targets you realize you forgot, and the RO gets caught in the way? Anything that affects your time should be grounds for a reshoot.

I’ve had a ‘timer holder’ quasi-RO place his hand on my shoulder as he said “if finished” on a stage where I was quite obviously done with a very solid run, and while it’s not ideal, I didn’t have a huge problem with it.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

What was in my mind was how many times I had heard competitors purposely running into the RO to force a reshoot after a bad run.  Whats interesting is the conversation came from exactly what you mentioned, Memphis.  A new RO did just that, put his hand on the shooter's shoulder and I offered the advice not to do it in the future because someone may demand a reshoot.  My friend corrected me to say it was up to the RO.

6 hours ago, bishop414 said:

I would quickly correct any RO that feels the need to place their hand on my shoulder or any other part of my body.  Why think that's ok?

Not that i am a toucher, but, lighten up Frances

Well, there was an RO at a Western States Single Stack Championship that got real interested in the proximity of my holster and mag pouches to my hips. He looked creepy close so I just said that if he wanted to get any closer, I get dinner, flowers and a movie first. He seemed a bit put off by my offer...

This me at A8 this year. I admit to shooting a very very poor stage with numerous errors on my part.

I realized at the last position I needed a mag on the ground to have enough rounds. As I moved the contact occurred.

We both brought it up at ulsc. I quickly agreed and was shot a way better score. 

Anyways my ugly video of this kind of incident. 

6 minutes ago, MHicks said:

Was the mag you picked up a fully loaded mag that was inadvertently knocked loose or a partial mag you dropped during the run?

Don’t think it matters, that is why you shouldn’t pick up mags until ulsc and stage is finished. 

39 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

i had none left on my belt. it was a partial mag from earlier.

That would be how I would think the rule would be correctly used to justify a reshoot.  I had just heard so many people talk about it, I bought into it being interpreted as automatic.  Has even bled into steel challenge.  So many people referencing running into the RO on purpose if the run is bad.  I was offered a once reshoot one time cause the RO touched me with the timer.  Didn’t want it cause a good run.  Several people on the squad said it HAD to be reshot.  I declined and didn’t have to by RO decision.  All they talked about the rest of the day was bad call by the RO.  Even looked up the rule at the time and, because I was so new, I couldn’t make good sense of it.  Guess it stuck with me until now.

I just feel bad that I elbowed him to get out of my way in my frustration. I was first shooter, first stage so evidently neither of us were really warmed up. The RO in my case was very gracious and I felt very very lucky.

4 hours ago, rowdyb said:

I just feel bad that I elbowed him to get out of my way in my frustration. I was first shooter, first stage so evidently neither of us were really warmed up. The RO in my case was very gracious and I felt very very lucky.

Yeah, he seemed a little off guard.  Prob should have stopped u for the reshoot when u made it up range from him.

Edited by Hammer002

22 hours ago, HoMiE said:

Don’t think it matters, that is why you shouldn’t pick up mags until ulsc and stage is finished. 

I know. Just curious because I know Rowdy is a very good shooter and would have a good stage plan. Without dislodging a loaded mag accidentally I'm sure it would be pretty rare to need a previously used mag to finish a stage. He said it was a bad stage for him.

25 minutes ago, MHicks said:

I know. Just curious because I know Rowdy is a very good shooter and would have a good stage plan. Without dislodging a loaded mag accidentally I'm sure it would be pretty rare to need a previously used mag to finish a stage. He said it was a bad stage for him.

Oh dude, it really was horrible. I wasn't in tears but I was beyond crestfallen as I shot, knowing how many mistakes and crap I had done. I just felt at whits end as I got to move to the last position and knew I was short rounds and had through hubris brought only the bare minimum of mags to finish the stage. But enough of my story...

On 10/18/2018 at 10:26 AM, bishop414 said:

I would quickly correct any RO that feels the need to place their hand on my shoulder or any other part of my body.  Why think that's ok?

I hate it when they pat your butt after they say make ready. 

23 hours ago, HoMiE said:

you shouldn’t pick up mags until ulsc and stage is finished. 

At locals I also try to prevent having a meandering herd of anxious pasters, oblivious practiscore punchers and the camera guy heading downrange.  I'm not as worried about giving away a reshoot due to interference as I am about the occasional shooter who dashes uprange for a mag or a mental error resulting in a real safety problem. 

Edited by IHAVEGAS