Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best 223 die for Dillon XL 650

DIYguy

Just made the jump and bought the loaded Dillon XL 650 and putting my LnL Progressive on the market. I still use my Hornady Classic single stage for match grade rifle loads. I have my Match Grade Hornady 223 die dialed in for my 75gr BTHP loads but want to set up the 650 to bulk load 55gr 223. I don't like to change set-ups once I get them where I want them so going to add new dies just for the 650. Since so far everything has been Hornady, so are my dies.

Looking for advice on other brands of dies for the 650. Yes, they all will work but some work better than other with the thicker tool head plus the head set up is different.

Was looking at the Redding Match carbide as one option.  Still like my Hornady Match grade set also. Dillon? Why?

Have about (2,000) rounds of Hornady 55gr BT FMJ with cannelure bullets in stock to load

Since precision has basically zero consideration for the ammo you are proposing, I would use a Dillon dies for the specified type of ammo you propose to make. When you get them you will see they are designed to run on a progressive and will feed the brass and bullets better.  Dillon dies are of robust construction as well.  Should increased precision come more into play I would change my opinion on that.  My bullet runout is markedly less with a Forster inline seating die than a Dillon for example but more care must be exercised when using it.

There is some toolhead float so make sure when you set up your sizing die you keep turning it down until the size case drops in a case gauge.  It's not like a single stage in that way. 

FWIW I am loading 1/2 MOA ammo with SD's in the teens on my 650 with the factory powder measure.  Runout is .003 or less on average.  My purpose for this ammo is 3 gun not long range precision.

What I've been doing so far for tapered neck loads is run all my cases through the wet tumbler first. Then I lube with One Shot and resize, decap in one step. The Hornady resizes the neck in this process also. I then run all the decapped brass through a short wet tumble again and then after the rinses a short tumble with Armor All clean and wax. This way I start with prepped brass and clean pockets.

Just checked info for the Dillon 3 piece carbide set and I like the description / review.

The 55gr are for my 16" with the 1:9 twist. Would like to be able to do 1 MOA if set up properly. If you're getting those kind of load on the progressive I'm impressed. Looking forward to cranking out some rounds, so far they've been one at a time.

I’ve had great luck with the Dillon dies for my .223 rounds. My rounds are very consistent but I use a Whidden tool head over the factory one. I get sub MOA rounds loaded on my 650. My rounds are used for 3 gun. 

My my process is to de-prime, size/trim on a separate tool head and then reload on another with a carbide neck expander die set up in station 1, this seems to get me the most consistent rounds on the 650.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What's the purpose of going with carbide if you're lubing the cases?  My limited understanding was the benefit of carbide dies was it negated the need for lube, at least in straight wall cases.  Is there a reason to go carbide over non-carbide for rifle cases that I'll be lubing anyway?

Honestly I have never run them through the Dillon carbide dies without lubing. I started out that way and never stopped. I read on here that carbide might be necessary if you lube anyway. All I know is that with lube those dies are very smooth and removing any little headache is my goal. Though it would be a big time saver to not lube. I'll have to try it out and see. 

Dillon makes carbide rifle dies for longevity. You still have to lube bottle neck cases. Not lubing can still result in stuck cases. This was told to me by a Dillon rep years ago. Pistol carbide dies don't require lube because they only use a short ring to size the case body.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I have Redding competition dies. They have a built in micrometer for seating and a free float seater die. The seating sir is supposed to help seat more consistently so the bullet isn’t canted to 1 side. 

I have good luck with the Forster FL dies. In .223 I use it in combination with a Redding comp seater.

The Forster FL dies gives me the lowest neck runout on sized brass of any FL dies I have. That includes the Dillon FL, Mighty Armory FL, Lee FL en RCBS FL.

So from that angle (neck runout) I prefer the Forster.