Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Custom made earplugs

Swanny10

So I have been entertaining the idea of having some custom made plugs molded. Not the DYI kit but going to an audiologist. So I called up a place and they informed me that NO AUDIOLOGIST can do it in house. They always have to be sent off after the audiologist makes an impression of the ear. 

Has this been the experience of other people who have had custom plugs made? Or do I need to look at more audiologists ?

I would look around a little more.

I was lucky enough to be invited to a study being done by the Audiology Department when I was in college. They let us make our own set with a DIY kit, then the audiologist did a set. They sent both sets off to be made, and when they returned they ran a bunch of tests to compare the two, and I got to keep the better set - which was obviously the set done by the audiologist. They were trying to require the manufacturers of the DIY kits to put warning labels on their packaging to warn about the possible dangers of the DIY kits not providing adequate hearing protection. The set I got to keep is what I run in 99% of my matches, some 5 years later. 

I have a buddy that does them local to me as well as travels to the larger matches in the NE area. I would have to believe that there are folks out there doing the same? 

Maybe call around to the local shops or even the match directors? 

For me. My local audiologist did the impression but sent it out to have the actual plugs made. About 2-3 weeks later I went back in when they arrived to confirm the fit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have two pair of insta molds 1 is plain with just some filters in it and then the other I have the electronic behind the ears. I love them both it's an amazing product.

Edited by bigboy69

6 minutes ago, bigboy69 said:

I have two pair of insta molds 1 is playing with just some filters in it and then the other I have the electronic behind the ears. I love them both it's an amazing product.

+1.  They did my custom plugs at the Shot Show.

A few years back when I had mine made I saw an audiologist at Kaiser who made the ear molds and sent them off to Westone to have them made. It took about 3 weeks and then went back in and the audiologist made sure they fit correctly.

The ones that are made on site are not the same as what's made in the lab.  The latter are usually quality urethane that perform better and last longer.  The on the spot type are usually marginal quality and not very durable.    Re: the Harris plugs, and similar in the ear devices, I personally would not rely on those alone to protect my hearing, particularly with an open gun.  It may seem ok for a while, but I can guarantee you'll regret it later.

37 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

personally would not rely on those alone to protect my hearing,

I should say, that I have no intention of not double plugging. Anything I get will still be worn under muffs the vast majority of the time. But your statements about quality are appreciated. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2018 at 12:53 PM, schaet said:

I have a buddy that does them local to me as well as travels to the larger matches in the NE area. I would have to believe that there are folks out there doing the same? 

Have a bunch of plugs made from Ear safety systems as well and love them.

On 10/11/2018 at 12:53 PM, schaet said:

Have a bunch of plugs made from Ear safety systems as well and love them.