Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40&9 top end

Shooter212

Sorry if this has been asked before didn’t see it in a search. Can you get a 40 or a 9 2011 and get another top end in the opposite caliber and switch back and forth. The only thing I can think would be different is the ejector might be different. Would wear of shooting one more then the other be an issue. Looking to have a 3gun/ limited pistol. 9 being the one that would be shot the most. 

I twice went that route and decided it was not a good idea.  If you are going to do that, have your builder start with two slides with identical way/rail dimensions  That way you can get a perfect fit for both.  If you later add a second slide, the slide has to be fit to the existing frame rails.  That is a more difficult proposition and will most like end up a looser fit.  

Any time i have done this with pistols, ARs, contender pistols, even bow limbs, it has always been a bad idea imo, and as you can see i have tried it several times. I think you will be happier in the long run spending a little more and getting two guns. It always seemed that no matter what i wanted to shoot the gun was set up the wrong way. At least that has been my experience

I've got one and love it. I can pop the slide stop out and swap the uppers in a few seconds. One for 3-gun/suppressor host, and the other for USPSA limited.

Lots of rounds through each top end and both are still very tight. 

thumbnail.thumb.jpg.da0c7f5186fd8dedcf75bb26e22d5edf.jpg

Edited by Will_M

Not being a 3 gun guy or knowing the rules, is mag capacity the primary reason to run 9mm? If 4 rounds per mag isn’t a huge competitive disadvantage, why not just load .40 light and just use 1 gun?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The other thing to consider is two top ends doesn’t give you a backup gun for when your gun breaks, two guns would at least give you a backup for a match even if it made you shoot major in 3gun or minor in limited

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Will_M said:

I've got one and love it. I can pop the slide stop out and swap the uppers in a few seconds. One for 3-gun/suppressor host, and the other for USPSA limited.

Lots of rounds through each top end and both are still very tight. 

thumbnail.thumb.jpg.da0c7f5186fd8dedcf75bb26e22d5edf.jpg

That set up is basically exactly what I had in mind. 

I used to have a 9mm and a 40.  I shot the 40 so much better that I eventually sold the 9mm.   I have three 40s now, one CZ TS and two 2011s.  40 is easier to load for, and shoots softer than 9mm with minor loads.  I used to use the TS for USPSA, but now it is a dedicated Steel Challenge gun shooting 130FP loads.  The two 2011s I shoot in USPSA.  The only 'disadvantage' of 40 is three fewer rounds in the mag, and bullets cost a tad more.  Really, the only way I'd want 40 and a 9mm top ends is if I didn't reload.

On 10/2/2018 at 7:13 AM, RJH said:

Any time i have done this with pistols, ARs, contender pistols, even bow limbs, it has always been a bad idea imo, and as you can see i have tried it several times. I think you will be happier in the long run spending a little more and getting two guns. It always seemed that no matter what i wanted to shoot the gun was set up the wrong way. At least that has been my experience

This is my experience too. I much prefer spending the extra $$ and just get a whole second gun. Conversions are a pain.