Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Seriously considering open. Reliability concerns!

B_RAD

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Let me put it this way - when I go to a match, possible gun malfunctions are nowhere on my mind.  I think of misses, of forgetting the targets, but not about my gun. 

It is just not a part of the equation.   Take it out of the bag... shoot it... pack it. 

I really don't know where you are seeing all those problems... I shoot with other open guys all the time, and I do see issues... but quite rarely. 

Edited by Foxbat

1 hour ago, Foxbat said:

Let me put it this way - when I go to a match, possible gun malfunctions are nowhere on my mind.  I think of misses, of forgetting the targets, but not about my gun. 

It is just not a part of the equation.   Take it out of the bag... shoot it... pack it. 

I really don't know where you are seeing all those problems... I shoot with other open guys all the time, and I do see issues... but quite rarely. 

You probably shouldn't think of either of those two things.

On 9/23/2018 at 7:14 PM, B_RAD said:

Nearing the end of my 2nd year shooting USPSA. I've went from production to limited to carry optics.  I really like the high cap divisions.  I've always wanted to shoot open just been nervous because of cost and it seems that nobodys open gun runs 100%.  

I don't buying quality.  I don't mind some upkeep (mags). 

But I want reliability!  I did shoot with a guy at AT who's chaos ran 100%. But saw most all other open shooters have issues. 

Is reliability possible?  I'll admit I was worried about the same thing when I went to limited but my Titans have been 100%!  

I have a Chaos that has had one malfunction in just under 10K rounds: a case that didn't eject with enough power, bounced off the optic and got stuck in the ejection port.  Needless to say a .01% failure rate is less than any of my other guns, including polymer guns.  A lot goes into getting that though, I do maintain it much more meticulously than polymer or even limited guns, I am very choosy with magazines and especially ammo.

I have seen other open guns cause lots of problems, I would not recommend buying an old gun that has changed hands lots of times.  If you're going to play in open, buy a new or lightly used high end gun from a reputable manufacturer.

10 hours ago, bluedevil008 said:

I have a Chaos that has had one malfunction in just under 10K rounds: a case that didn't eject with enough power, bounced off the optic and got stuck in the ejection port.  Needless to say a .01% failure rate is less than any of my other guns, including polymer guns.  A lot goes into getting that though, I do maintain it much more meticulously than polymer or even limited guns, I am very choosy with magazines and especially ammo.

I have seen other open guns cause lots of problems, I would not recommend buying an old gun that has changed hands lots of times.  If you're going to play in open, buy a new or lightly used high end gun from a reputable manufacturer.

And again, not a gun problem, an ammo issue. Light load maybe? Mine has done that with powder puff loads I was just burning up for fun.

For the record my CK runs like a champ. I've had issues, but due to my mount getting in the way of some weirdly ejected brass. 

Take care of them, spend some time with them, and they will be just fine.

Edited by sstephns

On 9/25/2018 at 9:36 AM, B_RAD said:

Yeah, I get the thread maynseem kinda dumb but I want to shoot open bad. Then I go to match and see all the issues and I think nope, never mind!  

But I keep thinking surely someone out there can make it thru amtches without problems. 

When I see someone who has issues every match, I tend to not ask them for advice. 

Don’t pay attention to the “someone’s” with gun issues, pay attention to the best open shooters you have around you and I’ll bet they rarely if ever have any reliability issues at matches.

regardless of the builder, by nature open guns are pushing the limits of what’s possible with the balance of what’s possible between speed and accuracy in a pistol. 

In open the shooter is as responsible, as the gun is, when It comes to reliability.  

If you’re willing to do the work and put the time in to ensure your gun is reliable you’ll love open just don’t expect a kalashnikov in terms of reliability

18 hours ago, drewbeck said:

Don’t pay attention to the “someone’s” with gun issues, pay attention to the best open shooters you have around you and I’ll bet they rarely if ever have any reliability issues at matches.

regardless of the builder, by nature open guns are pushing the limits of what’s possible with the balance of what’s possible between speed and accuracy in a pistol. 

In open the shooter is as responsible, as the gun is, when It comes to reliability.  

If you’re willing to do the work and put the time in to ensure your gun is reliable you’ll love open just don’t expect a kalashnikov in terms of reliability

Indeed. They do require more maintenance than other guns.  But in the end, everything is under my control. I never go into a match thinking "I hope my gun runs."

The biggest factor in reliability with an open pistol that I’ve seen is attention to details while reloading. Open pistols run so fast and the build tolerances are so tight your ammo must be constant, clean, and properly turned for your pistol. Just because your buddy is shooting the same build as yours don’t mean your load will be identical. Use a crono and quality reloading components and you can tune any quality open gun to be reliable.

For 9mm major I went a different way.  I'm tired of Glock bulges, crimped primers and brass that has been loaded a lot of times.  I buy fully processed once-fired 9mm brass.  It is sourced from an indoor range that does not permit reloads.  The brass is resized, deprimed, push thought sized, cleaned with SS media, dried and a light coating of wax applied.  It's gorgeous.  I buy in 6000 case lots for 3.5 cents each.  All I have to do is throw it in the case feeder.  No work, no fuss, no mess.

My open gun runs 100% and I have evidence to back it up.  Go check out Christian S-Competitive Shooter on youtube.  I haven't had one jam in any match this year, and every stage I shot at a major is on there.  Just clean the gun and replace springs accordingly.  Eventually the extractor will need tightening

That's also because I shoot an Akai custom gun.  I can't speak for any other manufacturer, but akai guns run.  I haven't had any issues with them.  I just put grams springs and followers into mbx mags and the gun runs.  

Thought I'd update my experiences so far. I found someone that I know that had a gun that ran. So, I got that one. Ive shoot 600 problem free rounds thru it. Going to shoot it in a match this weekend. 

At the moment I'm shooting the load he was using. 7.0 gr WAC / 124 gr PD JHP @1.160". I plan on trying some different powders and 115's eventually. Wanted to know.the gun runs before I start trying new loads. 

On 9/29/2018 at 5:34 PM, zzt said:

For 9mm major I went a different way.  I'm tired of Glock bulges, crimped primers and brass that has been loaded a lot of times.  I buy fully processed once-fired 9mm brass.  It is sourced from an indoor range that does not permit reloads.  The brass is resized, deprimed, push thought sized, cleaned with SS media, dried and a light coating of wax applied.  It's gorgeous.  I buy in 6000 case lots for 3.5 cents each.  All I have to do is throw it in the case feeder.  No work, no fuss, no mess.

Source?

2 minutes ago, Ssanders224 said:

PD offers true once fired, processed brass. 

I don't think it's on the site currently.  Need to fix that. 

Nice. I've actually been buying my brass from y'all anyways. 

10 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

Nice. I've actually been buying my brass from y'all anyways. 

I'll get the processed option on the site.  There is obviously a price difference, but It has been cleaned, pneumatically checked for cracks, de-primed, reamed, and roll sized/push through sized on commercial equipment. Good too keep some on hand for major matches, etc.. 

I'll get the processed option on the site.  There is obviously a price difference, but It has been cleaned, pneumatically checked for cracks, de-primed, reamed, and roll sized/push through sized on commercial equipment. Good too keep some on hand for major matches, etc.. 

This would be a nice option. I regularly use PD once fired brass, only a few shady pieces here & there. Better than any other options.

On 9/29/2018 at 2:20 PM, B_RAD said:

Thinking 9 major. Would it be smart to get a U die?

NEVER do 9 major without a U-die........and case gauge every round for an occasional bulge that gets past the u-die.  I reload my 9 major 7 or 8 times.  As the brass gets older--it bulges just above the rim.

2 hours ago, lcs said:

NEVER do 9 major without a U-die........and case gauge every round for an occasional bulge that gets past the u-die.  I reload my 9 major 7 or 8 times.  As the brass gets older--it bulges just above the rim.

I got one.