Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Seriously considering open. Reliability concerns!

B_RAD

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

32 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Yes. Any excuse to switch divisions, you will jump on. ;) 

EDIT: especially if it means switching guns too!

While you're not wrong, previously it's been about switching guns and divisions to get closer to open. 

Now I'd just shoot CO.  Going backwards in a sense.

I just need to stick with one gun and division. Something I've not done at all in the 2.5 yrs I've been shooting USPSA. 

17 hours ago, B_RAD said:

Shot 500 rnds problem free. 

Seems mags had weak springs and feedlips were off center just a little. 

Here's a pic of feed ramp after 100 rnds using a friend's tuned mag. 

Screenshot_20190414-184251_Gallery.jpg

That is a perfect position on the feed ramp where the tip of the round should be hitting. As I said before, I would suggest adding a slight rounding and polishing to the leading edge of the chamber all the way around. This is cheap insurance to assist in reliable feeding if the bullet or leading edge of the case points in an odd angle and touches the leading edge of the chamber.

You also need to accept the fact that if you cram your magazines 100% full every single time the mag springs will get worn out MUCH faster and need to be replaced. Any time you compress a magazine spring to full coil bind it dramatically reduces the life of it and will cause it to distort. I always load my 2011 magazines 1 round short of maximum capacity as 95% of the time that is plenty of ammo in the mag for most stage plans. If I do need to cram the last round in the mag for full capacity I will do so just before I shoot the stage. This way its not crammed to coil bind for an extended amount of time. Even with this proactive measure of increasing mag spring life I still proactively swap ALL of my mag springs at least 4 times a year.

• 3 weeks later...

B_Rad I'm sorry to hear that you're leaving our beautiful Open world.  Hopefully one day the Open gods will grace you will a fully reliable gun and mags, and you'll rejoin us in Hoser Valhalla

59 minutes ago, UpYoursPal said:

B_Rad I'm sorry to hear that you're leaving our beautiful Open world.  Hopefully one day the Open gods will grace you will a fully reliable gun and mags, and you'll rejoin us in Hoser Valhalla

for this division he will need axe.😀

1 hour ago, muncie21 said:

What division is the next adventure for you Jason?  Please don't tell us you're quitting USPSA to try IDPA :)

How'd you guess?!

Ha ha. No! I'll be shooting CO for the rest of the year. I might go back to limited next year. 

I'm liking the hicap divisions.  

Open was fun!  I may give it another try in a few years.  

11 hours ago, UpYoursPal said:

Thanks. 

It was the mags. I really need to focus on getting better at shooting. I want to spend zero time tuning mags. I already have guns set up for CO. No tuning mags. Minor is so easy to load for. I mistakenly bought a new open gun in the part of the year that should have been spent practicing.  Not load development and tuning.  

This is the start of my third year shooting. I started in production. Then went to limited. Then CO. Then open and now back to CO. I've switched guns a dozen times. No joke. I guess I had fomo?  I've wasted soooo much time, effort and mental energy. It kind of angers/depresses me to think about where I'd be if I wouldn't have!  

CO is so much easier than Open, if anything breaks, just order the new part online and drop it in.

Magazines just work, they don’t need to be constantly monitored and tweaked.

You can reload the same brass over, and over, and over, and over without primers falling out.

Depending on your gun choice, you can usually get 2-4 CO guns for the price of one Open gun... 

4 minutes ago, muncie21 said:

I'm no GM, but here's my current thinking- Shoot the same division & pistol for at least a season.

Solid advice, I sometimes think many people get caught up in looking for the magic pill (or pistol) to make them better when sticking with a platform and practicing is the clearest path to progression.

12 minutes ago, BritinUSA said:

CO is so much easier than Open, if anything breaks, just order the new part online and drop it in.

Magazines just work, they don’t need to be constantly monitored and tweaked.

You can reload the same brass over, and over, and over, and over without primers falling out.

Depending on your gun choice, you can usually get 2-4 CO guns for the price of one Open gun... 

Yes! I'm shooting Glock so I can get about 6!

11 minutes ago, muncie21 said:

I feel your pain, I've changed divisions (Production, Open, limited) multiple times. 

I'm no GM, but here's my current thinking- Shoot the same division & pistol for at least a season.

You're not wrong!

6 minutes ago, cjmill87 said:

Solid advice, I sometimes think many people get caught up in looking for the magic pill (or pistol) to make them better when sticking with a platform and practicing is the clearest path to progression.

You're not wrong either!

11 hours ago, TeamCarverCustom said:

My Open gun runs 100%, for over 35,000 rounds of 9mm major and it's a Glock 17. I will never switch because of reliability and how flat a 174 PF load shoots. 

Any details on your setup that you care to share on how you've achieved this reliability? (I'm genuinely interested, run an Open Minor Glock myself)

4 hours ago, cjmill87 said:

Any details on your setup that you care to share on how you've achieved this reliability? (I'm genuinely interested, run an Open Minor Glock myself)

Certainly. To be honest I dont know where to start, since mine and many others have been so reliable. My Open Glock 17 runs the best with a OEM recoil spring and rod, I have tried 11lb through 16lb springs and it just feels the best with an OEM rod and spring. Then I took a bit of time to work up a good load. I am currently running 8.0gr of Hs6. I have settled on Berry's 124gr HBFP, it's a great bullet, loaded to a COL of 1.1025. This particular bullet, with its hollow base, increases internal case volume a small amount, enough to show less pressure signs compared to a standard bullet profile. It is very important to load quality ammo and then check each individual round before practice or matches. Making consistent ammunition will save a lot of headaches with reliability.

Using a good barrel such as KKM or Lonewolf is also key to a reliable gun. I run a KKM but either one of these will have a fully supported and a throated chamber to allow long COL (overall length).

The Carver Custom Optic mount, no matter which optic you choose, the mount adds a good amount of weight up front and holds zero 100%. Its rock solid. I am also using a 4 port Carver Custom Compensator and have tried many others, but settled back on Carver's 4 port comp, I love it, it shoots very flat.

Thanks.

Do it! I went from limited to CO (for a very short period) and loved the dot. Mount the dot to the frame and shoot major power factor for even more fun!
I’m running a 9major gun that I built on a JEM slide frame, MBX mags (with Taran springs) and 124grain Everglades.
If the gun is built right and tuned with your mags and your ammo it should just need a wipe down and oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk