Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I'm Saving Money Already

jim6918

I'm pretty proud of myself.  After 30 days of research, set-up and testing, I loaded my first 50 rounds of .380 ACP last night.

I figure at this rate, if I never load any more than this first 50, this batch cost me $40.00/round.

IMG_2085.JPG

Ha, I'm in the same boat. Just started hand loading a couple months ago, and I'm still hemorrhaging money. Now I'm into crazy little stuff like an LED light to put over the seating station to verify there's powder in the case...

22 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

You spent  ….    $ 2,000    ….    for your reloading equipment/supplies   ????     :surprise:

Betja didn't buy a SDB, didja ?

Well, look at it this way, next time you reload a box of .380 ammo, it won't cost

you a penny     ?

I went with a 550C and Quick Change and Caliber Conversion Kits  for 4 calibers.  I built a nice sturdy bench in the basement.  By the time I bought tools, add-ons, lighting, case cleaning, powder, brass, bullets, primers, manuals, and God know what else, I am pushing $2K.  ?

I suppose I could have scrimped and done things on the cheap, but I saw no point in trying to figure work-arounds, especially screwing with changing dies in one tool head for multiple calibers.

I'm not complaining mind you, I got a nice operation and the alternative for my retirement was sitting on the couch and eating $2k worth of potato chips during the day.?

Nice job getting started. It's intimidating to jump in without someone experienced helping!

lets see a picture of the bench and everything

I got into reloading after I got upset when an online order of ammo was weeks late coming in (and it went on sale while I was waiting for my shipment) so I started reloading and haven't bought factory pistol ammo since. 

18 minutes ago, DesertTortoise said:

Nice job getting started. It's intimidating to jump in without someone experienced helping!

lets see a picture of the bench and everything

I got into reloading after I got upset when an online order of ammo was weeks late coming in (and it went on sale while I was waiting for my shipment) so I started reloading and haven't bought factory pistol ammo since. 

Thanks.  I used to reload on a progressive about 40 years ago as a range officer for a small police department, so I wasn't totally blind to the process.  The loader was all dialed in for .38 SWC and all I needed to do was keep powder and primers in it.

I made the bench out of kit sold by "2X4 Basics" which sells the legs and you can make the bench any size you want.

$50 here and $50 there it all adds up.

IMG_2086.JPG

6 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

BTW, my personal preference is to place the cartridges case up, rather than

bullet up.

That facilitates checking the primers and little easier to remove the

cartridges    :) 

You're absolutely right.  That picture was just for the photo-op.  Those rounds already resting in Case-gard boxes.

BTW, I am gauging each and every round as a last step.  I am pretty anal about safety.  That's why it took me 30 days before I dropped my first grain of powder.  Thank God for a good bullet puller.  ?

Nice set up on your bench. I started loading about 5 years ago and the press paid for itself in no time. Like you I was a while pulling bullets before I was happy, but once dialed in I never looked back. Loaded .380, 9 and .40, mostly only 9 at this point. Keep cranking and checking!

Nice setup congrats on your return to the addicting hobby of reloading.  Pretty soon you will have 15-20 different powders and 5 gallon pails of range pickup brass.  I have a 550 that I bought used and I enjoy reloading as much or more than shooting.  I will suggest you watch for someone moving or cleaning out an office and get your hands on a few filing cabinets.  They are designed to hold lots of weight and work perfectly to store Bullets, powder, primers and finished rounds.  Pass on the cheap ones and get the heavy duty version and they will last for years and serve you well.

1 hour ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

No such thing …    :cheers:

There is only "safe" and NOT safe.

BTW, can you see into each case to check there is powder

in before you seat the bullet ?   (Absolutely essential for

safety).    :) 

Yep, one of the first lighting additions was the Inline Fabrication LED light that fits in the toolhead.  My stool is just high enough for me to lean in slightly after I index to look for powder.,