Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Broken Firing Pins in Extreme Bolts - Anything Better?

I have a Taccom Extreme 9mm bolt and have broken several of their firing pins recently...  Turns out that the firing pin that lasted the longest came with my Extreme bolt...  It was a standard looking firing pin with the small, round head...  My last replacement firing pin lasted less than a thousand rounds and broke during a match today...It was one of their newer firing pins with the large head and a cut out section for the firing pin cotter pin.

Is there a better/stronger firing pin that will fit my Taccom 9mm Extreme Bolt?

Several people in earlier threads mentioned Wilson firing pins...  Will the Wilson firing pins fit a Taccom 9mm Extreme bolt?

I've broken two taccom pins(not the new one) and a Wilson. Wilson actually broke the fastest.

Started using one from arxtreme based on recommendations from other guys I know, never heard of the company prior. Don't know if I'm getting lucky, but I have about 4k on it. Always carry spares though.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, mmlook said:

what kind of trigger are you running?

Drop Tim and email, I believe you can custom order the small(std) head firing pins. 

I'm running a HiperFire Eclipse trigger with the lightest springs.

I ordered three firing pins from Taccom...  I noticed that they were different from the firing pin that originally came with my bolt...  Tim said to keep the original in if it's working...  I don't know if the standard sized head firing pins are any better.

I'm breaking the very tip of the pin off.

1 hour ago, RaylanGivens said:

I'm running a HiperFire Eclipse trigger with the lightest springs.

I ordered three firing pins from Taccom...  I noticed that they were different from the firing pin that originally came with my bolt...  Tim said to keep the original in if it's working...  I don't know if the standard sized head firing pins are any better.

I'm breaking the very tip of the pin off.

What color are the pins you are having a problems with?  I found the silver big head ones were junk, talked to Tim about it and he sent me a sorta bronze/copper colored one with a small head that I have 4-5k on it now. I asked for some more, but that pin was just a "stop gap" he told me IIRC. He then told me the new big head ones would be that color(its a heat treat thing). I havent tried one of those yet. 

1 hour ago, Patrick Scott said:

What color are the pins you are having a problems with?  I found the silver big head ones were junk, talked to Tim about it and he sent me a sorta bronze/copper colored one with a small head that I have 4-5k on it now. I asked for some more, but that pin was just a "stop gap" he told me IIRC. He then told me the new big head ones would be that color(its a heat treat thing). I havent tried one of those yet. 

Here's a photo of the broken firing pin and my last new spare...  Not sure if you can tell from the photo, but they look black to me...  I bought them on August 15th, so they are fairly new.

Taccom Broken Firing Pin.jpg

35 minutes ago, RaylanGivens said:

Here's a photo of the broken firing pin and my last new spare...  Not sure if you can tell from the photo, but they look black to me...  I bought them on August 15th, so they are fairly new.

Taccom Broken Firing Pin.jpg

Looks about the same color as what I am talking about.  I think, not certain that the big head causes some hammers to hit the pin off center(hits the bottom of the head first), canting it in the firing pin channel/bore. The tip gets beat up trying to make it through the breach face. I have seen somewhere where Taccom suggests taking some material off the bottom of the head so that the hammer strikes the pin on the center line more like how a traditional pin takes the hammer hit. I know why Taccom builds them this way, but it doesnt play nice with my fire control group. That is why I had asked for more of the normal style pins with the new hardening like these here.  

16 hours ago, RAINY0DAYS said:

I've broken two taccom pins(not the new one) and a Wilson. Wilson actually broke the fastest.

Started using one from arxtreme based on recommendations from other guys I know, never heard of the company prior. Don't know if I'm getting lucky, but I have about 4k on it. Always carry spares though.

AR-15 Platform 9mm firing pin, Hard Chrome Finish

Swiss CNC Machined from 4140 steel, Hard Chrome Finish
Hardened to 47 Rc
SKU: 818

https://ar15xtreme.com/store/page/3/?s=ar+15&post_type=product

Is that the firing pin you're talking about?

I'm getting a dead link, but I'm pretty sure they only make one 9mm firing pin.

AR-15 Platform 9mm firing pin, Hard Chrome Finish
Swiss CNC Machined from 4140 steel, Hard Chrome Finish
Hardened to 47 Rc
SKU: 818

https://ar15xtreme.com/store/page/3/?s=ar+15&post_type=product

Is that the firing pin you're talking about?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

On 9/10/2018 at 2:31 PM, Patrick Scott said:

Looks about the same color as what I am talking about.  I think, not certain that the big head causes some hammers to hit the pin off center(hits the bottom of the head first), canting it in the firing pin channel/bore. The tip gets beat up trying to make it through the breach face. I have seen somewhere where Taccom suggests taking some material off the bottom of the head so that the hammer strikes the pin on the center line more like how a traditional pin takes the hammer hit. I know why Taccom builds them this way, but it doesnt play nice with my fire control group. That is why I had asked for more of the normal style pins with the new hardening like these here.  

Talked to Tim this morning and asked if he had any of the bronze/copper standard heat treated pins you mentioned...  He didn't, but said that my HiperFire trigger was causing the problem...  I'm using the springs that give the lightest trigger pull...  Tim suggested I use the lighter springs so that the trigger would be less likely to break the firing pin...  Increasing my trigger pull weight to be gentler on firing pins doesn't seem like a good plan to me.

Tim also mentioned that JP triggers are much better than the HiperFire triggers...  That might be the case, but I don't hear of many people using JP triggers instead of HiperFire triggers.  Who knows, maybe next time.

Then he mentioned that I could grind the lower portion of the firing pin as you mentioned...  I did that because I have nothing to lose...  I included a picture of my modified firing pin below.

Taccom Firing Pin Modification.jpg

50 minutes ago, RaylanGivens said:

Talked to Tim this morning and asked if he had any of the bronze/copper standard heat treated pins you mentioned...  He didn't, but said that my HiperFire trigger was causing the problem...  I'm using the springs that give the lightest trigger pull...  Tim suggested I use the lighter springs so that the trigger would be less likely to break the firing pin...  Increasing my trigger pull weight to be gentler on firing pins doesn't seem like a good plan to me.

Tim also mentioned that JP triggers are much better than the HiperFire triggers...  That might be the case, but I don't hear of many people using JP triggers instead of HiperFire triggers.  Who knows, maybe next time.

Then he mentioned that I could grind the lower portion of the firing pin as you mentioned...  I did that because I have nothing to lose...  I included a picture of my modified firing pin below.

there's a previous thread on this.

IIRC the consensus was the lower part of the large head firing pin causes the tip of the firing pin to cant in the firing pin channel and hit the bolt.

the hyper fire likely makes this worse with the increased hammer springs

JP triggers probably have the lightest hammers/springs on the market, especially with their reduced spring kit(yellow).

7 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

Tim doesn't like Hiperfire triggers.  He's a JP fanboy! (He told me so)  It's funny, every time I talk to him and we discuss one of my PCC's and I bring up Hiperfire, he raves about his JP.  I'll stay with my Hiperfire.  I ended up putting in a CMMG firing pin.  We'll see how it does.

Here's my Taccom firing pin from my extreme bolt.

taccom pin.jpg

I’m running a JP in my Guard hybrid build now. Pretty damn happy with it, especially at half the price of all the hyperfire-ish priced units.

I pulled it out of my 5.56 gun to play with in 9mm. It’s eating everything, and it’s plenty short and crisp.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

So a question from a pcc noob. Are firing pins all generic I.e. will they fit any 9mm bolt?  I'm running an ATI with a hiperfire and its been fine.  I have been thinking of some spares to keep with me, firing pin is one of them.

Edited by Andyk
1 hour ago, Andyk said:

So a question from a pcc noob. Are firing pins all generic I.e. will they fit any 9mm bolt?  I'm running an ATI with a hiperfire and its been fine.  I have been thinking of some spares to keep with me, firing pin is one of them.

they are all different

Length wise they are similar, but the diameters and where they step down will vary by manufacturer 

On 9/11/2018 at 8:04 PM, RaylanGivens said:

Taccom Firing Pin Modification.jpg

I know a fellow or 2 using the JP triggers and I can personally speak to the reliability of my JP triggers. I'm at over 50,000 rounds on 2 different units. If you want an awesome trigger that WILL last, order one up. 

You might also try a JP firing pin if it's compatible with your bolt. You should see a pretty dramatic increase in the service life of the pin. 

On 9/12/2018 at 5:03 AM, stick said:

Tim doesn't like Hiperfire triggers.  He's a JP fanboy! (He told me so)  It's funny, every time I talk to him and we discuss one of my PCC's and I bring up Hiperfire, he raves about his JP.  I'll stay with my Hiperfire.  I ended up putting in a CMMG firing pin.  We'll see how it does.

Here's my Taccom firing pin from my extreme bolt.

taccom pin.jpg

That looks like the bronze/copper colored firing pin Patrick Scott was talking about.

17 minutes ago, Patrick Scott said:

@RaylanGivens This is the Firing pin  I was talking about that Tim sent me as a "stop gap" between changes. This is the one I want more of. 4-5K on it and still trucking along with the hardest hitting Hiperfire spring combo. 

fp.jpg

The transitions do look pretty smooth on that firing pin...

I shot a four stage Steel Challenge match last night with the Taccom firing pin that I ground the lower edge on...  (as shown in the picture I posted)...  It didn't break, so who knows.

Edited by RaylanGivens

I switched out the Taccom firing pin with the Wilson Bullet Proof after about 200 rounds. The Taccom had a strange burr that was causing pierced primers. The Wilson has well over 1k rounds and still looks perfect. I was using the 24C trigger and recently switched to the new CMC 9mm trigger there is less striking force with the CMC trigger so the pin should hold up for a long time.