Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Load for a Canik TP9SFx?

jtaylor996

I have not loaded for a Canik, but if they copied the chamber/throat geometry from Walther the way they did most of the rest of the TP9 series from the P99/PPQ, then you'll likely have to load them to a fairly short OAL.  I used to load 124 MG JHPs over 4.2 grains of N320 at 1.075" OAL for a P99c - any longer than 1.08" and they'd consistently fail the plunk test in that gun's barrel.  The short OAL made CBC brass problematic with those bullets, just FYI.  Primers looked ok, and it made ~130 PF IIRC.  I ran the last few of those loads through my full-size P99 after I bought it, and they gained 40-50 FPS average from the half inch longer barrel vs the 'c.'  Given that the Canik's barrel is longer still, I would guess that you could probably expect to make 130 PF with somewhere around 3.9 or 4.0 grains of N320.  Usual rules apply, don't take my experience with a similar but not the same gun as gospel, plunk test your own gun, start low, work up carefully, yada yada yada.

@olstyn I have a carbide reamer with a .344” pilot in my posession. You need carbide to cut hardened barrels like Walther or Glock, and the smaller pilot to cut polygonally rifled chambers.

I can feed all of my Walthers ammo out to 1.169 if I feel like doing so now. ;) 

Just wanted you to know that such things do exist!

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I haven't plunked yet, but are you getting better accuracy with the longer COAL after reaming?

TBH, this canik is retarded accurate with S&B 124 nato ammo (like on par with my SVI if not even better), and like all factory stuff, is likely short. For my 1911 I always had to load short (1.095" IIRC).

On 8/5/2018 at 10:27 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

@olstyn Just wanted you to know that such things do exist!

Oh, I knew about reamers - I just never really trusted myself not to ruin the barrel, and preferred to leave it stock anyway.  I've since moved on to other bullets that are more short/tight chamber friendly, so I'm good either way.

3 hours ago, olstyn said:

Oh, I knew about reamers - I just never really trusted myself not to ruin the barrel, and preferred to leave it stock anyway.  I've since moved on to other bullets that are more short/tight chamber friendly, so I'm good either way.

It’s a straightforward process; I load dummies at 1.120 ... 1.125... 1.135 and them use them to monitor the depth so that I don’t cut too deep. Patience is key.

(And until recently, reamers that’ll cut a walther barrel didn’t exist.)

So after lots of garage cleaning, and cool enough weather to be out there in TX, I finally made some dummies to plunk and spin test.

It seems my TP9 SFx only get good spinners at 1.110" exactly. 1.115" is sometimes ok, but not every round.

So it seems 1.110" is where I'll be loading. Over N320.

Now what ladder loads should I make? I'm thinking 3.5 - 4.3gr in .1 increments. Sound good?

Edited by jtaylor996

I'd make an initial run of 10 or 20 rounds each at 3.6, 3.8, 4.0, and 4.2, test fire those over a chrono, and adjust as necessary from there.  9 different loads in .1 grain increments sounds like a really tedious time at the press to me, and you can probably get the info you need from .2 grain increments pretty easily.  If 3.8 = 128 PF, and 4.0 = 136 PF, it's a good bet that 3.9 = 132 - it might not be right on, but at least using coarser increments will get you close, and it'll save you a lot of time fiddling with your powder measure settings and your scale.

Well, I'm trying to save time at the range. And I'm going to test every load for accuracy at 25yd. I've found in the past there's a big difference between loads at the right speed or a "magic" SD number, and one that's accurate as hell. It could be that 3.8 = 128PF is great, but too slow for what I need, and then I load up at 3.9 and it's not as accurate.

It's a pain, and a pain at the range, but I want to get it down to one range trip, one tedious ass loading session.

My SFx will plunk/feed/fire just fine to 1.160 (acme 147 FP red coated)

The barrel will accept even more, but they hang up in the magazine beyond .160

My PPQ M2 however, won't consistently feed anything longer than 1.145ish

The .160 stuff is a no-go in the Walther, and it refuses to feed any hollow point  bullet with an aggressive flat-type shape such as the exotic self-defense rounds.

Edited by BentAero

12 hours ago, BentAero said:

The .160 stuff is a no-go in the Walther, and it refuses to feed any hollow point  bullet with an aggressive flat-type shape such as the exotic self-defense rounds.

Mine plunks at longer lengths with these bullets, but it doesn't spin, so I'm not certain if they're into the lands or what.

• 1 month later...

I found that 124gr RN plated with 3.25 of Tite Group will cause FTE's. But 124gr RN Coated with 3.25 of Tite Group shoot just fine in my SFX and have much less recoil than 147FN coated with 3.0gr of Tite Group. I have arthritis quite bad and am trying to come up with a comfortable load to shoot in my SFX and it seems like the 124grRN coated with 3.25 should work. I'm using 1.149 for OAL.

• 2 weeks later...

Jdillon

On 10/1/2018 at 5:00 PM, JDIllon said:

I found that 124gr RN plated with 3.25 of Tite Group will cause FTE's. But 124gr RN Coated with 3.25 of Tite Group shoot just fine in my SFX and have much less recoil than 147FN coated with 3.0gr of Tite Group. I have arthritis quite bad and am trying to come up with a comfortable load to shoot in my SFX and it seems like the 124grRN coated with 3.25 should work. I'm using 1.149 for OAL.

Jdillon what coated bullet are you using? Bayou? 

I'm on the fence about reloading because the lack of info for the sfx.

BUT...i already have brass ,titegroup and BBI 125g. also ordered barrys 124.

its nice to have some info.

Glad I found these forums

Edited by xlucky13x

I have loaded several different loads for the SFX. I mainly shoot Bayou 147FN, 3.0gr Tite Group, 1.149 oal. they shoot great. I have loaded 125rn Summer's 3.30gr Tite Group, 1.149oal and they seem to shoot fine. I am shooting the SFX with the stock spring. I have found that with the 124/125 bullets you have to increase the powder to 3.25+ The best thing to do is load up some rnds and try them. I have found 145/147s shoot OK with 3.0gr and the 124/125s shoot OK with 3.25+gr of Tite Group. All of those bullets are coated!! The plated that I have tried needed a little more powder than the coated. You can contact me with a PM if you need more info.  JD 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2018 at 10:06 PM, BentAero said:

My SFx is about the same - I can plunk and spin Acme 145gr RN lipstick bullets to 1.170" (average bullet weight is actually about 146gr). I had a couple that felt like they had some very, very  slight friction so 1.165" is probably the actual max. No chrono data for these yet -- I have a half a dozen versions loaded up but haven't had time to get to the range. 

If you want to try some different loads:

Acme 135gr RN lipstick 3.7gr Win 231 1.140" = average 129.5pf

Acme 135gr RN red coated lipstick bullet - 3.4gr Tite Group  1.145" = avg 134pf

Blue Bullet 135gr RNFP 3.30gr Tite Group 1.150" - ten shot average 131.5pf (these are 0.355")

Blue Bullet 135gr RNFP 3.7gr Win 231 1.145" - average 132pf

My SFx runs runs all of the above with no problems but I am not using the factory recoil spring and it is 'somewhat' tuned up. 

This was just for fun:

115gr HAP 6.3gr Power Pistol 1.075" - avg 138.5pf - outstanding late afternoon muzzle flash.

Edited by Weapon

• 2 weeks later...

I used everything from plated to lead 115-147's I found with 135g bear creek moly coated with 3.5 of TG was a pretty awesome shooter. I was down to an 11 lb recoil spring and it was super flat and fast. With bullseye I added .4-.6 g of powder I'm pretty sure I was .012 under Sami length

Rainier 147 gr FP with 3.2 grns SP loaded to 1.15 in my SFX. Had 3 bullets left and wanted to verify the Venom 6MOA adjustment. I shot off a bag for a .55 inch group with two of the bullets making about a 40 cal hole. Walked to the target to check-thought I missed the damned target with one of the shots. Shot at 15 yards.

Same load has done .9 to 1.18 inch groups for five shots at 25 yards-off bags, of course!