Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawson Tool-Less Guide Rod Failure

rr4406pak

Been using a Dawson Tool-Less Guide Rod that came with my STI DVC Open gun.

At about 2000 rounds the pin that holds the lock lever backed out far enough that it caught on the recoil spring.

Jammed the gun up and ruined my match.

Is there anyway to keep the pin from backing out?

Love the convenience of this thing, but not if it's just a jamming time bomb waiting to go off...

Thanks.

• 2 months later...

Hello: Weld the end of it or use a standard guide rod with a hole in it. We use our pistols more than 98% of the people so things will break or you will find the weak point. I would give Dave Dawson a call and see what he says. Maybe they have an update on them? Thanks, Eric 

I have a Dawson toolless in every single one of my 2011s. I have never had an issue with any of them. Some have 75K+ rounds on them.

My guess is you have a slight smaller pin in there. I would use the suggestions above about staking both sides. Or send it back to Dawson to see if they will replace it.

I have had the pin start to walk out on one of the Dawson Toolless guide rods out of the 5 I have in guns. I tapped it back in and staked it in place. Hasn't worked loose sense.

If I had a TIG welder I would weld up both ends of the pin hole and grind it smooth so it would never be a potential issue.

Edited by CHA-LEE