Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Agressively Bobbed Hammer

Adamj

I decided to take the plunge and aggressively bobb (or faux carmonize) my hammer. I though that if I mess it up I could use it as an excuse to have the gun worked over by TK Custom. I'll need another excuse though because it turned out great. It's not as pretty as some I've seen here,  but it's allowed me to lighten the action significantly and still pop well seated federal primers

20180513_071629-756x1008.jpg

Edited by Adamj

Thank you. All my guns are scared to see the Dremmel come out. It was a little nerve wracking at first,  but was easier than I thought once I got started. I thought about skeletonizing love some here,  but I don't have those skills. 

That looks pretty great. Much more refined than mine. I wasn't skilled enough to leave any material behind. It was a complete hack job.

What kind of grips are you using?

I definitely did not do this myself, but a great gunsmith here in the Netherlands.

No, stuff doesn't seem to get in there, but then again, I'm the clean-after-every-session type of guy...^_^

I have the Karl Nill Master II closed back grips with 'pinky ledge'...

SW627 bobbed hammer.JPG

Those Karl Nills look great. I had some on a 627 snub nose and loved them. I don't think my fingers are quite long enough for the closed back grip though. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 6/29/2018 at 3:39 AM, WFargo said:

They have an 'open back' version as well, Adam. :cheers:

And they're really worth the 'investment'.....

I got an open back set of grips and they let my finger get much more comfortably on the trigger than closed back grips do. They're a little pricey but worth it. 

On 6/26/2018 at 8:29 AM, WFargo said:

That's really cool....

I thought mine was aggessive! :D

skeletonized hammer.JPG

I Like this aproach, it posses all the advantages; lightened of course, retains rigidity, maintains the rear tang to cover the internals and maintains the open cylinder safety, and looks unique. I prefer to lighten my hammers to maintain the protection of the rear tang also. I am going to mimic your approach (if you dont mind) on my next hammer. Its a simple 2 axis mill job. Here is a pic of a bobbed hammer next to the underside cut I make to lighten.  thumbnail?appId=YMailNorrin&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=2.2

On 6/25/2018 at 9:05 AM, Adamj said:

I decided to take the plunge and aggressively bobb (or faux carmonize) my hammer. I though that if I mess it up I could use it as an excuse to have the gun worked over by TK Custom. I'll need another excuse though because it turned out great. It's not as pretty as some I've seen here,  but it's allowed me to lighten the action significantly and still pop well seated federal primers

Faux-monized!!   😁

Edited by Carmoney

1 hour ago, Carmoney said:

I think of the Carmonized hammer as my lasting legacy to the game--what I need to do is get it on Wikipedia and Urban Dictionary.  😄  

Don't forget to include the tag line " Hammerspurs are for midnight cowboys." wasn't it?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2019 at 2:26 PM, pskys2 said:

Don't forget to include the tag line " Hammerspurs are for midnight cowboys." wasn't it?

"Everybody's talkin' at me...I don't hear a word they're saying...."  😄