Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beretta Longevity

konkapot

I would like to hear from high volume shooters as to what longevity/durability they are experiencing with their Berettas.

The "book" on the 92s indicates a service life of 8-10k rounds. My experiences with 96s (with major ammo) is a bit less than that.

How many rounds are you guys getting out of your guns before locking blocks start breaking, frame rails start cracking, etc.

Thanks

FY42385

My 92FS had an early problem (after maybe 4000 rounds?), where the locking block broke. When I talked to Langdon, he had mentioned it was the first (or nearly?) that he'd heard of..

Zero problems with my 96V - it has more rounds thorugh it..

I've been shooting beretta 92s & 96s exclusivly for 3 years now. I have two 96s and they both easily have 15-20K (light loads) rounds thru them with no problems. I have several 92s with no issues as well.

Some years ago, beretta changed the locking block design to remove a stress point which was the cause of the broken locking blocks.

To be honest, I had a very old (50k + rounds) 92 break a frame rail. Of course this gun had 4 of the 6 rails milled out and steel inserts tapped in, and a very tight match barrel fit. Chances are, one of the mods done to this gun caused the rail to break.

A firearms instructer for the state police that I know has a 92G with over 170,000 rounds through it. He is also a Beretta armorer and all of the springs have been changed multiple times. Almost all of the rounds were 147g. Federal Hydroshocks. He bought the 92 when his department transitioned to 96's. I have a similar 92G with 15,000 rounds through it at last count. I have to agree with Mr. Di Vita, the most reliable gun I have ever owned...

I'm hardly a high volume shooter as I only shoot one club match per month and don't get much practice time. I've got nearly 7000 rounds through my 92 Elite 2. The only problem I've been having lately is some failures to fire. Last time I stripped the frame down I noticed slight rounding of the hammer/sear engagement and I believe this is causing the problem. Other than that, she's ran really well and I just might have a 96 to try out by my next club match.

splashdown

Being a Department armorer and having worked on 35 guns the last 13 years before we switched them out, the locking blocks are the weak link. I had them break any where from 4K to 8K, 6 total, bottom left side everytime. Having said that, Nothing wrong with the guns but having a big grip for small hands. Mine is in my house loaded..... ;)

The "book" on the 92s indicates a service life of 8-10k rounds. My experiences with 96s (with major ammo) is a bit less than that.

Thanks

FY42385

That book is completely wrong. The Army tested them shooting hot +p+ 124gr ammo and found an average MTBF (mean time before failure) of about 30,000 rounds over a very large sample size.

That was with the older design locking blocks which were weaker and have now been beefed up.

I have 20 - 25K rounds on my 92 with zero part breakage.

I don't dispute that the 96 design may be ashade weak for the .40 round, since it is identical to the 92.

Splashdown..

I suggest you pull your firing pin and check the channel for gunk. I have seen couple Elites with a bunch of gunk in the firing pin channel which of course affect reliability.

Spook:

As for the slide to frame fit: They are designed to be slighly loose from the beginning and do not appear to loosen up that much over time.

I have a Taurus PT92 and it's with my wife now. I've had over 8,000 rounds with it and I just change the recoil and firing pin springs every 3,000 rounds. Works fine for me.

As with any gun the key to reliability is preventative maintenance (cleaning, lubrication, spring replacement, etc.) and learning how to spot the warning signs of the most common problems. I know so many shooters who never inspect their gun for problems and then wonder why "it just broke all of a sudden".

• 3 weeks later...

They had a Beretta 92 at the Chapman academy when I went there in 1999 that had 130,000 rounds on it. Their regular loaner. I wonder if it is still in use.

The locking block broke the week I was there and John Scaggs had one ready to go. Said he figured it was nearly due for one when the gun hit 120K rounds. I think it was the 4th block he put in that gun.

Not too bad a deal there.

Ted

My Taurus 92 had about 25k through it and I didn't brake it, till I let a girl I went out with shoot it. Second mag she broke it but Im blaming her not the gun :P The gun had many many hot rounds the first years of its life.

• 1 year later...