Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 DA pull... what can we do?

kmanick

• 10 months later...
On 5/1/2018 at 10:13 PM, Sdlrodeo said:

I’m running an 8.5 hammer spring. I get a few light strikes out of 1000 WSPs but it always goes bang with Federal. If I run out of them I may have to step up to an 11. Why doesn’t someone make a 10? Seems like that’d be a happy medium.

IPSC Store always carry the 10, what r u talking about...lol

On 3/22/2019 at 6:43 PM, BigEar said:

IPSC Store always carry the 10, what r u talking about...lol

Never heard that. All I seem to find are 8 or 11.5. 

Is that a European shop? Do I have to order from over seas?

• 1 year later...

I used to have the 11.5 lb hammer spring in my 75 shadow and in my SP01 shadow (internals are similar to the S2) but I had issues in one gun (not the other) igniting all factory primers even with the extended FP.  I switched both to 13lb which fixed all light strikes.  I als switched a third with the APEX kit from 11 to 12 because the gun would not set of Tula steel in DA, worked fine in SA with 11 lbs. 

11.5 works for most guns and most ammunition but not all guns and all ammunition therefore you might have try yourself. 
Or you just don’t use the cheapest ammunition you can find like me. 

41 minutes ago, KlausN said:

I used to have the 11.5 lb hammer spring in my 75 shadow and in my SP01 shadow (internals are similar to the S2) but I had issues in one gun (not the other) igniting all factory primers even with the extended FP.  I switched both to 13lb which fixed all light strikes.  I als switched a third with the APEX kit from 11 to 12 because the gun would not set of Tula steel in DA, worked fine in SA with 11 lbs. 

11.5 works for most guns and most ammunition but not all guns and all ammunition therefore you might have try yourself. 
Or you just don’t use the cheapest ammunition you can find like me. 

Currently using the 13lb hammer spring with whatever ammo I can find.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2018 at 7:13 PM, Sdlrodeo said:

I’m running an 8.5 hammer spring. I get a few light strikes out of 1000 WSPs but it always goes bang with Federal. If I run out of them I may have to step up to an 11. Why doesn’t someone make a 10? Seems like that’d be a happy medium.

So an even easier way to get a 10lb main spring is the Eric Grauffel springs "the Ultimate Hammer springs"  you can get from Ben Stoeger pro shop. Irun the 10lb and it will pop everything I have run (cci, S&B, Fed). 
https://benstoegerproshop.com/ultimate-cz-shadow-2-hammer-spring-by-eric-grauffel/

This is the way

13 hours ago, MicahSwan said:

So an even easier way to get a 10lb main spring is the Eric Grauffel springs "the Ultimate Hammer springs"  you can get from Ben Stoeger pro shop. Irun the 10lb and it will pop everything I have run (cci, S&B, Fed). 
https://benstoegerproshop.com/ultimate-cz-shadow-2-hammer-spring-by-eric-grauffel/

This is the way

Are you running the extended firing pin? 

On 12/11/2020 at 9:52 AM, Stafford said:

I know it's an old post, but... there were several who recommended the 11.5 lb. Anyone running the 11.5lb hammer spring with the factory firing pin? If so, will it set off factory ammo?

I use 11.5- a CQW FP spring and the factory FP- It sets off everything I shot-

31 minutes ago, AngeloConde said:

I second this

On 12/26/2020 at 12:10 PM, MicahSwan said:

Yes, 

the extended FP from CGW, and the reduced FPspring as well when running the 10lb hammer spring. 

I would also say to watch the end of the firing pin at the hammer end. 
If you dry fire as much as I do, the firing pin spring compresses enough that the pin no longer protrudes as much as intended, and no longer creates a nipple as prominent as it originally did. 
So for me this is changed out every 6 months, instead of per round count; as it is a dry fire wearing part... Does that make sense? 

1 hour ago, MicahSwan said:

I would also say to watch the end of the firing pin at the hammer end. 
If you dry fire as much as I do, the firing pin spring compresses enough that the pin no longer protrudes as much as intended, and no longer creates a nipple as prominent as it originally did. 
So for me this is changed out every 6 months, instead of per round count; as it is a dry fire wearing part... Does that make sense? 

What worked for me was putting a small o ring in between the hammers and firing pin saved the spring

I added

On 12/23/2020 at 5:49 PM, MicahSwan said:

This is the way

I added the CGW 11.5lb hammer spring, the extended firing pin with softer spring, and an 11lb recoil spring to my S2 last week. It has ignited all the factory ammo I’ve tried so far. My Shadow 2’s trigger internals have not been polished and the only changes have been the addition of a 13lb spring and now the 11.5lb spring. I figure as much as I fire and dry fire, the trigger components will smooth out on their own, maybe/maybe not in comparison to polishing????

I compared my S2 trigger to my SPO1 trigger which has been worked on my CJ Maven. The SP01 trigger is estimated at around 7lb +/- in DA and 3lbs in SA. With the 13lb hammer spring in my S2, the worked SP01 trigger was lighter in both DA and SA. Now, with the 11.5lb spring in the S2, the DA in the S2 is lighter. I would estimate the SA is around the same weight.

I’m placing an order for a shot timer with BSPS today, and I’ll add the 10lb Ultimate hammer spring to my order and try it out.

3 hours ago, Stafford said:

I added

I added the CGW 11.5lb hammer spring, the extended firing pin with softer spring, and an 11lb recoil spring to my S2 last week. It has ignited all the factory ammo I’ve tried so far. My Shadow 2’s trigger internals have not been polished and the only changes have been the addition of a 13lb spring and now the 11.5lb spring. I figure as much as I fire and dry fire, the trigger components will smooth out on their own, maybe/maybe not in comparison to polishing????

I compared my S2 trigger to my SPO1 trigger which has been worked on my CJ Maven. The SP01 trigger is estimated at around 7lb +/- in DA and 3lbs in SA. With the 13lb hammer spring in my S2, the worked SP01 trigger was lighter in both DA and SA. Now, with the 11.5lb spring in the S2, the DA in the S2 is lighter. I would estimate the SA is around the same weight.

I’m placing an order for a shot timer with BSPS today, and I’ll add the 10lb Ultimate hammer spring to my order and try it out.

Honestly, that I'm sure will be all a dude really needs. 

To answer your question on wear over time versus polishing, I do not think wear over time will quite end up with the same results as polishing. But being someone who has completely overhauled and polished myself, the difference is so nominal that it probably doesn't even make that much of a difference. 

One thing you could add to your BSps order that would be a slight felt difference, is a reduced power trigger return spring. 

In the end none of the springs really matter, the deciding factor for success is hours logged with gun in hand. 

Cheers

6 hours ago, Stafford said:

I added

For me every firearm I always polished the components to mirror. Only because I don't have that much shooting time to actually break in the pistol so I would speed up the process. ;) like Micah said its very minimal i just liked the feel of a truly crisp trigger 

• 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Hardmix said:

I have a new stock S2 that I want to reduce the DA just a bit. If I changed the hammer spring to 11.5 would any other spring be affected where a change would be needed?

You should be good to go with just the 11.5 spring.  However as noted above, some primers are harder than others and the 11.5 lb spring may not generate enough force to light them off.  If that is the case, an extended firing pin and reduced weight FP spring helps with that, or just go with the 13 lb hammer spring which will result in a lighter DA pull than stock, but not as light as you would get from the 11.5.  

1 hour ago, 2MoreChains said:

You should be good to go with just the 11.5 spring.  However as noted above, some primers are harder than others and the 11.5 lb spring may not generate enough force to light them off.  If that is the case, an extended firing pin and reduced weight FP spring helps with that, or just go with the 13 lb hammer spring which will result in a lighter DA pull than stock, but not as light as you would get from the 11.5.  

Thank you sir.