Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 DA pull... what can we do?

kmanick

so I went to the range today and worked a simple drill. We can't draw from a holster at this club so the drill went like this.

Muzzle down , hammer down.......Go!!  1,2

One shot to the left target one to the right. I lined up in front of the left target for several rounds then the right and then reversed the drill

and went right to left etc..

all of my 'spread" shots are my DA shots and my single follow ups were almost all dead on.

this is at 32 feet. I rotated ammo between Aguila 124 , magtech 124 and AE 147

the AE was definitely the easiest to stay on center with , but overall not a huge difference.

So i already have the 13# hammer spring in there with the extended FP and lighter return spring.I honestly don't feel 

much difference between my DA pull and my buddy's stock S2

so what else is there to do to not only lighten a bit but shorten it?

follow%20ups%20at%2032%20feet_zpsawexyxu

6 minutes ago, kmanick said:

so I went to the range today and worked a simple drill. We can't draw from a holster at this club so the drill went like this.

Muzzle down , hammer down.......Go!!  1,2

One shot to the left target one to the right. I lined up in front of the left target for several rounds then the right and then reversed the drill

and went right to left etc..

all of my 'spread" shots are my DA shots and my single follow ups were almost all dead on.

this is at 32 feet. I rotated ammo between Aguila 124 , magtech 124 and AE 147

the AE was definitely the easiest to stay on center with , but overall not a huge difference.

So i already have the 13# hammer spring in there with the extended FP and lighter return spring.I honestly don't feel 

much difference between my DA pull and my buddy's stock S2

so what else is there to do to not only lighten a bit but shorten it?

follow%20ups%20at%2032%20feet_zpsawexyxu

If you scroll a little ways down there is a thread that someone made that has all the mods he did to his s2. It's a good read but I believe cgw has a shorter reset disconnet

Get either the T1 or T3 disconnector to shorten the DA. The T3 has to be hard fitted while the T1 is 90% drop in. I installed the T1 disconnect or in my shadow 2 along with the 13# main spring, reduced power trigger spring, reduced power firing pin spring, extended firing pin and polished the internals. I also installed a modified recurve trigger wherein I drilled an tapped for a pretravel and over travel screw. DA pul is around 5# 10 ozs, SA is around 2# 3.5 ozs. Reset is very short.

Edited by George16
Spelling

Get an 11.5# main spring, mine has been 100% reliable, many others report the same. Dryfire is the solution though. I practiced dry firing my heavy 10+lb P07, and now I can DA my S2 easily (7#). Disco is fantastic for SA as well. I fitted a Type 3, but a Type 1 is good too.

Agree, go to the 11.5# hammer spring.  You may even be able to go lighter.  You could try 9# and see if it's reliable.  Also change out the trigger pin to the solid type from CGW.  By "lighter return spring" I assume you mean trigger return spring.  If not, change that out too.  Then dry fire at home to get used to pulling the trigger without moving the gun.  I think Rob Leatham and Ben Stoeger would agree on that last piece of advice.

looks like the majority says 11# hammer string and practice.

coming frorm a striker fire background, dry firing in DA actually seems to feel somewhat  natural, it's with live ammo

for some reason feels like the take up is forever long.

I'll grab one of the 11# springs and give it a try, oh and yes I did mean  lighter trigger return spring (the one that comes with the extended firing pin)

4 hours ago, kmanick said:

oh and yes I did mean  lighter trigger return spring (the one that comes with the extended firing pin)

KMANICK....a reduced power firing pin spring comes with the lighter than stock mainspring (hammer spring) and is used with the extended firing pin..................a reduced power trigger return spring connects with the trigger/trigger bar to reduce the tension of the trigger return/pull and is ordered separately (does not come with any other part when ordered)

Edited by race1911

thanks for the info I thought we were all talking about the same spring but apparently not :)

I take it this is what you are referring too?

trigger spring

ordered that trigger spring and the 11 pound hammer spring.

was going to also order the disconnector but I can always come back around if I feel that I still need it

1 hour ago, race1911 said:

KMANICK....a reduced power firing pin spring comes with the lighter than stock mainspring (hammer spring) and is used with the extended firing pin..................a reduced power trigger return spring connects with the trigger/trigger bar to reduce the tension of the trigger return/pull and is ordered separately (does not come with any other part when ordered)

Edited by kmanick

Ernie Langdon's two part video on youtube, "fear not the doulbe action shot" will get you up to speed perfectly.

Secondly, grip the gun firmly enough and pull the trigger in a manner that the action of pulling/pressing the trigger doesn't disturb the sights. If you're going slow or staging or focusing on it, you're going to be unhappy with the result. So start focusing on better actions.

37 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

Ernie Langdon's two part video on youtube, "fear not the doulbe action shot" will get you up to speed perfectly.

Secondly, grip the gun firmly enough and pull the trigger in a manner that the action of pulling/pressing the trigger doesn't disturb the sights. If you're going slow or staging or focusing on it, you're going to be unhappy with the result. So start focusing on better actions.

hey that drill he's doing with the plates in part 2 is exactly what I was doing with my paper targets last night that made me see how inconsistent I was

Edited by kmanick

1 hour ago, kmanick said:

thanks for the info I thought we were all talking about the same spring but apparently not :)

I take it this is what you are referring too?

trigger spring

YES, that is the spring.......it can be frustrating to install.....definitely use a slave pin and go by some instructions such as on youtube or  cajun gun works, then it is fairly straightforward

Edited by race1911

On 4/30/2018 at 6:07 AM, Almo said:

Agree, go to the 11.5# hammer spring.  You may even be able to go lighter.  You could try 9# and see if it's reliable.  Also change out the trigger pin to the solid type from CGW.  By "lighter return spring" I assume you mean trigger return spring.  If not, change that out too.  Then dry fire at home to get used to pulling the trigger without moving the gun.  I think Rob Leatham and Ben Stoeger would agree on that last piece of advice.

I’m running an 8.5 hammer spring. I get a few light strikes out of 1000 WSPs but it always goes bang with Federal. If I run out of them I may have to step up to an 11. Why doesn’t someone make a 10? Seems like that’d be a happy medium.

The CGW 8.5lb will run Federals with a stock FP & FP spring but needs the CGW FP & spring to run S&B’s.

Also it’s right on the 5lb DA limit.

The Sebo 10lb will light off Fed’s & S&B’s with a stock FP & his lighter spring.

DA should be around 6lb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk