Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Many Rounds In A 140 Mag In .40

ipscron2000

I just purchased a .40 Limited gun. I have 4 140 mm mags with it. I played with one of them and could normally get 17 rounds in one, but if I hammered it on the table, I could squeeze another round in giving me 18. Is that normal or one round shy. A guy I got the gun and mags from barely used it. So maybe the mag springs arn't even broke it yet. :unsure:

Hows my load:

180 ZERO JHP

4.82 of TG

WSP

1.17 OAL

172.2 PF on a 90 degree day.

It felt good, but I plan on tweaking the powder down to 4.75 and see if that works better.

PS. We are supposed to have a heat index of 113 today. :o

I'm going to go outside now and cut the F#%#$G grass. :angry:

Sorry for not stating. They are STI mags with stock pads and followers. I can put 18 in them but hitting a reload would be impossible, the mag would fall out. The spring would be too tight.

How much does he charge per mag to tune? Or do whatever he does?

Thanks

Ron

I have Bevens parts in stock STI tubes and can get 20 but the last is tight. My start mag typically has 20 because I can make sure its seated but the one I use for a reload will only have 19 to make sure it seats if I'm light on the insert.

A flat pad and a standard STI follower yields 17.

Add one round for an aftermarket follower such as Dawson or Grams.

Add one round for an aftermarket base pad such as Dawson or Grams.

20 is possible with a Grams 4mm pad and spring/follower kit.

A too-long spring may hurt capacity.

I have 5 SV tubes with Dawson +1 pads and red followers that hold 20, but only one of them is reloadable with 20. I have one Dawson tuned STI that holds and reloads with 20. I typically only load and use 19 in them, except when a stage requires I start with 21, then I use the Dawson tuned STI mag. I also have a SPS mag that holds 21 and fits the guage, but it is not yet reliable. Still working on that, though it really isn't that important. You will gain one round by adding a Dawson or Grams pad to your current mags, and another by adding a thinner follower such as the one Dawson is now using.

All SV tubes and Dawson basepads with the following:

2 mags with Grams springs and followers.

2 mags with ISMI springs and SV followers.

2 mags with ISMI springs and Arredondo followers. (Not his new ones)

All can cram 20 rounds in but are not reloadable. All reload with 19 comfortable. I tried Grams 4mm basepads and didn't get the magic 20 reloadable. I'm confident if I send $210 along with the mags to Grams, they'll all come back with the magic 20 reloadable. I put all of the mags together with a minimum of tuning. I can start with 21 in the gun, but I'd rather throw in a reload somewhere.

• 4 weeks later...
I have 5 SV tubes...  You will gain one round by adding a Dawson or Grams pad to your current mags, and another by adding a thinner follower such as the one Dawson is now using.

You have Dawson followers in you SV tubes? I use Dawson in my STI mags, but they won't work without modification in my SV tubes, the groves on the follower are in the wrong place for SV mag tubes.

I recently got 4 new STI mags and got the Grams spring/follower kit for them, plus a couple of Dawson +1 pads. I can get 20 rounds in the two +1 mags and 19 in the other two. Although "snug", I wouldn't hesitate to reload to either of the 20's if I had to. The difference between how the spring/follower works with GE stuff over the stock spring/follower is just incredible. Very slick..............

Rich

I started this thread.

I ordered Grams follower/spring and basepad kit for my .40 and 170 super mag. I hope they run. I haven't had time to try them in the gun to see if they run. I couldn't afford the $40 extra a mag to have them "tuned". I can now get 20 in the 140's (19 reloadable) and 29 in the 170 (28 reloadable).

• 2 weeks later...

I send my mags to Bevin Grams and they load on the fly with 20 rds.

He charges 35.00 to 40.00 to tune plus 45.00 for his base pad, spring and follower.

It is warrantied and great work but be prepared to wait 8 weeks.