Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

One gun - Two calibers

opensol

I'm building an STI 2011 in 45acp planning to shoot USPSA Limited 10 and IDPA CDP. However, I might want to shoot Limited major. Has anybody tried having a slide set up for 45acp and another slide set up for 40 on the same frame? I'll appreciate your feedback.

Although I haven't seen it done, if you want to get creative you could drill/tap the hole for the ejector pin and then use a set screw to hold it in place.  Once that's done, you could change the ejector and top end in a couple of minutes.

1 hour ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Can you shoot .40 for everything ?

IDPA CDP requtires. 45ACP.

Might be cheaper to buy a Glock 21 for CDP. 

Or a single stack gun, if you can bear the shame of shooting a factory gun that should still be cheaper than building an upper for an existing gun.

18 hours ago, tcazes said:

i have a limited and open top end for the same bottom end. 9 major open and 40 major. complete uppers for both. i love it. 

9 and 40 is easy b/c you don't have to change the ejector.  For 40 and 45 you do.  You could shoot .40 for both, but it's not very good choice for open due to fact that lower velocity doesn't work the comp like a 9 does.

I find myself in a rare disagreement with ltdmstr.  I shoot 40 Open and I can tell you with certainty, the comp is worked just as well as 9mm major. With a 135gr it takes 8.3gr WAC to make 172PF.  For a 155gr it takes 7.2 WAC, a tad more Silhouette, or 8.2gr HS-6 to make 172PF.  That is slightly more powder of the same types than it takes to drive 9mm 115 or 124 bullets to 172PF. 

It isn't velocity that works the comp, it is gas and pressure.  9mm major does make more pressure. 40 Open major makes more gas.  I find it hard to tell the difference when shooting two otherwise similar guns.  The only difference I hear is 40 Open barks louder the 9mm major with the same amount of powder.

12 minutes ago, zzt said:

I find myself in a rare disagreement with ltdmstr.  I shoot 40 Open and I can tell you with certainty, the comp is worked just as well as 9mm major. With a 135gr it takes 8.3gr WAC to make 172PF.  For a 155gr it takes 7.2 WAC, a tad more Silhouette, or 8.2gr HS-6 to make 172PF.  That is slightly more powder of the same types than it takes to drive 9mm 115 or 124 bullets to 172PF. 

It isn't velocity that works the comp, it is gas and pressure.  9mm major does make more pressure. 40 Open major makes more gas.  I find it hard to tell the difference when shooting two otherwise similar guns.  The only difference I hear is 40 Open barks louder the 9mm major with the same amount of powder.

Well, you could be right on that.  I'm not big on open guns so definitely not going to question your results.  And really the bottom line is the shooter's perception, so if it feels the same to you, then it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.  Of course he could go to 9x25 and have the best of both worlds (jk).  If you want loud, I used to RO a guy with a 9x25 open gun and have never heard anything close to that.  Damned thing sounded like a rifle.  You could actually feel it.  Crazy.

9 hours ago, IowaNewbie said:

Won't the slide and frame wear differently ? How critical is this ? Say you shoot equal amounts of both calibers, the frame is working twice as much as the slides. How does this uneven wear impact over time ?

no issue at all. i talked extensively with adam at atlas gun works and he said not to worry. i agree though. if you have a properly fit gun there will be no extensive wear at all.

Unless you are married to a shrew who won't let you have access to the bank account, and you work at mcdonald's, trying to use the same gun for 2 calibers is dumb. The whole point is to own MORE guns, not fewer. If you need two different calibers, buy 2 different guns, and a backup for each. If necessary, forge the paperwork so your kids can get the free breakfast and lunch at school... #winning.

Edited by motosapiens

1 hour ago, motosapiens said:

Unless you are married to a shrew who won't let you have access to the bank account, and you work at mcdonald's, trying to use the same gun for 2 calibers is dumb. The whole point is to own MORE guns, not fewer. If you need two different calibers, buy 2 different guns, and a backup for each. If necessary, forge the paperwork so your kids can get the free breakfast and lunch at school... #winning.

Hard to argue with this logic.

Just sayin'

2 hours ago, motosapiens said:

Yes.  At least until you run out of space and/or start accumulating more guns than you have time to shoot.

4 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

Yes.  At least until you run out of space and/or start accumulating more guns than you have time to shoot.

Been there, got the t-shirt.

I've sold at least 8 guns in the past few years    :) 

Of course, I have also bought 2 new guns   :( 

7 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

if you have more guns than you can shoot, you need to shoot more, not buy another gun that can shoot 2 different calibers.

59 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

if you have more guns than you can shoot, you need to shoot more, not buy another gun that can shoot 2 different calibers.

Thats pretty arragant of you to tell this guy what he needs. He needs one gun in two calibers... if it works for him so he should stick with it.