Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading Limited with 20rd mags

ninjaboot

Sooo I picked up a .40 Limited a bit ago, and Im wondering if anyone has broke a ejector while reloading a full 20rd mag? Ive found I really have to seat (slam?) it in there during reloading. Its a little scary how hard I have to slam it in there to make it seat. Im a little nervous Im going to break the ejector tang. If I download to 19 or 18 its better but who wants to do that? Im using K40 mags with Henning base pads / Taylor base pads. 

This is where the term "reloadable" comes from. Your 20 round mag would not be considered reloadable if you have to risk breaking something to get it to load. Sounds like your mags are 19 reloadable. Not sure what can be done to your brand/platform of mags to get more in there and be reloadable. 

From what I understand the Henning .40 mags are 20 reloadable. I’m pretty sure the other mags I have K40 tubes, grams springs/followers, and Taylor Freelance base plates are 20 reloadable. Or at least advertised. I can get 20 in mags but damn is it tight to seat into gun.

I just ended up giving up.  Barney round 1 and then seat the 19-round mag in the gun.  Oh yeah and tug on it to ensure it's fully seated unless you get extra style points for punching out and having the mag drop to the ground.

I just ended up giving up.  Barney round 1 and then seat the 19-round mag in the gun.  Oh yeah and tug on it to ensure it's fully seated unless you get extra style points for punching out and having the mag drop to the ground.

Yeah that always is a option. With 19 my reloads are much more reliable.

8 hours ago, DesertTortoise said:

I do 18 with the Henning extensions, just to make sure I can seat the magazines during a match. I can do 20+1 for a loaded start then 18 after that.

Having the gun go bang, clang when the mag hits the floor is no fun if I have a weak reload.

Actually that's what I started doing today as well.  The reload mags were downloaded to 18 just to ensure a good positive reload in case I didn't shove it in there well enough.

Also found out that with the Bladetech holster if the grip of the gun is canted a little bit too far forward, when the start signal sounds and you go for the gun it is very easy to activate the mag release button.  It departs the gun right about as the sight picture on the first target is acquired and the trigger is being pressed.

Always fun... beep, bang, click, @#%^%$#, reload, click, oh yeah rack the slide, bang

2 hours ago, V2plus25 said:

Always fun... beep, bang, click, @#%^%$#, reload, click, oh yeah rack the slide, bang

I watched someone do that exact dance before. Really fun .... for the peanut gallery!  not so much for the guy picking up full mags.

19 hours ago, DesertTortoise said:

I do 18 with the Henning extensions, just to make sure I can seat the magazines during a match. I can do 20+1 for a loaded start then 18 after that.

Having the gun go bang, clang when the mag hits the floor is no fun if I have a weak reload.

Thats exactly what I did this weekend. Only ran 20rds if it was a bigger stage and downloaded if it was a classifier that required a reload. 

On 3/16/2018 at 5:13 PM, ninjaboot said:

From what I understand the Henning .40 mags are 20 reloadable. I’m pretty sure the other mags I have K40 tubes, grams springs/followers, and Taylor Freelance base plates are 20 reloadable. Or at least advertised. I can get 20 in mags but damn is it tight to seat into gun.

"Advertised" and real are very often different. Load and unload them a few times and leave them to sit for a couple days and see if it gets any better, but chances are good they won't get enough better to make them reloadable. 

This is the very definition of reloadable in my book. My big stick holds and runs 100% at 29, but I would definitely not consider it reloadable at 29. 

My springs and mags are pretty worn. I can get 20 into the mags with not too much of a issue. I was just curious if anyone broke a ejector off the sear housing from having to seat it so hard. I’ve heard on some guns that’s a possibility.

My mags are not hard to seat at 20.  If you're are, then you should just load 19.  When you put new springs in you should load your mags and let them sit a couple days to relax the springs.  Sounds like you are about ready to change anyway. I have never nor seen anyone break an ejector this way.

I assume you are using Grams springs and followers and one of the extended basepads to get to 20. Modify the followers so they don't lock back when empty. That way you can't over-insert a mag with the slide open. You'll never touch the ejector with the slide closed. STI people have been doing this forever.

• 2 weeks later...

I run 4 mags in limited I load 2 with 20 and 2 with 19. I barney up with one and start with 21 but it's tight. That leaves me with 3 - 19 round mags on my belt . I've tried running 20 but you got to slam it home seems to work better for me with my setup in my Tanfo Limited Custom