Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 Grip/Thumbs/WTF is going on

Background: Been shooting Tupperware + CZ Shadow for a while.  Finally got my act together and got an STI Edge. (I have multiple 1911s).  Went to the range to put it through its paces.  Now I have been working on my grip especially rotating my Left Hand 'forward'/thumb away from body.

I have seemed to eliminate trigger jerk, despite still anticipating recoil--thats not the point of this post.  

1. Something was slapping my RIGHT thumb as it rode the safety.  I suspect it is my gripping the gun tightly and feeling the slide moving.  This was something new as I do not have this issue on my normal 1911s.  Anu suggestions on what might be causing this?  Am I gripping to tight?  DO I just let my thumb sit on the safety and not squeeze?  When I first started my thumbs would go any which way into space on not even touch the gun--perhaps I have over corrected?
  2. Also it seemed that .40 was a lot more snappy that I remembered--especially for a big pistol like the edge.  Not sure if this is my new grip, new round, etc.  Before I could have sworn there is no difference between 9,40 and 45.  Am I just becoming more aware? Or do I need to tweak the gun.  I've shot a 45 1911 a lot over the years--never had any 'comfort' issues, but I did really notice the 40 was recoiling--we're not talking .357 mag or anything but it was a noticable step up over 9mm. (Full disclosure--I have a beretta 96 and have shot it tons, just not lately)

Also someone call the STI haters. My gun is broken.  Feeds Hollowpoints (had some junky 135 HP that were discounted years back.  Yes 135 gr hollowpoints), Flat nose, etc without issue.   Trigger is meh out of the box, but thats compared to 'My' 1911 which I have tweaked to perfection over the years.  Best shooting I've done at 15 yards in a while though.  Biggest issue was LOADING the mag as those 40 rounds don't like to slide all the way back.  

Edited by Crazy Scientist

The 40 is a “snappy” round compared to the 9mm. You didn’t say what power factor your loads make. 

There are vendors that sell a shield that mounts above the thumb safety so your thumb doesn’t hit the slide. Also have thumb safetys with built in wings that serve the same purpose. Something to consider. A fellow shooter has broken a few thumb safetys on his gun so I think he is pushing down hard on it. He shoots they gun very well. 

You have a rare one that can shoot those stubby 135s, should keep it. 

Tweak away way and keep what works for you. 

Could not find the PF on those 135s most of the stuff seems to lead to a PF of just over 160.  (Like I said, I had a deal on it many years back for like .20 a round, no I am not an idiot flinging around expensive HP ammo).

My other rounds were Win White Box at just over 170 PF.

I've shot hundreds out of the Beretta 96, but as I said, I've spent the last few years on 9mm and the last year on a giant Shadow 2 in 9 mm.

135 grain booolits at major PF should be quite a big snappier than 180's, especially if it's commercially loaded stuff. they always seem to use slow powders that create big noise and recoil. The difference between my 170pf handloads and the commercial training and duty ammo my agency uses is pretty dramatic.

^ This!  The difference in feel for me (with the STI DVC) between light bullets and 180gn is night and day.  I loaded a mag with some older factory ammo and was shocked at the snappy feel compared to my reloads.  Some folks like that, but I much prefer the feel of the heavier bullet.  

8 hours ago, Dr Mitch said:

Move your thumb away from the slide.  Grip hard.  Don’t use your thumbs.  Thumbs are not useful in any capacity for gripping a handgun.

Except for a few high ranking shooters I know who use them as part of their grip.

There’s no perfect method, as everyone’s hands vary some.

Most 1911 shooters I know utilize some downward pressure on the safety as part of their stronghand grip. Riding the safety is almost universally accepted as proper 1911/2011 form.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

The STI beaver tail has a scallop in it that allows more of your thumb to get in the way of the slide.  Especially if you have an aggressive high grip.  You can get the beaver tail changed and it may help, but I also have to round off the corner of the slide that comes in contact with my thumb or I get bit pretty bad.

To get to a power factor of 170ish those 135s have to be going pretty quick. Winchester white box 165s will make Major, but even those feel relatively snappy. 

As others said, the factory stuff almost always seems to use slower burning powders so you get a pretty noticeable snap and recoil. 

Do you do any grip strengthening exercise? I found some grip strengthening work really helped me get a good controlled, comfortable grip without having to vice grip it. 

As for the thumb touching the slide, if it is irritating you or distracting it may be worth getting a slide shield that goes between the frame and the safety or a set of shielded thumb safeties that will accomplish the same thing. 

Good luck and thumbs up on getting a 2011 that will handle factory stuff. It's not alwayd ideal but if you're in a pinch you know you can just go to walmart and get some white box to get you through a training session or match

19 hours ago, KrymSIX said:

To get to a power factor of 170ish those 135s have to be going pretty quick. Winchester white box 165s will make Major, but even those feel relatively snappy. 

As others said, the factory stuff almost always seems to use slower burning powders so you get a pretty noticeable snap and recoil. 

Do you do any grip strengthening exercise? I found some grip strengthening work really helped me get a good controlled, comfortable grip without having to vice grip it. 

As for the thumb touching the slide, if it is irritating you or distracting it may be worth getting a slide shield that goes between the frame and the safety or a set of shielded thumb safeties that will accomplish the same thing. 

Good luck and thumbs up on getting a 2011 that will handle factory stuff. It's not alwayd ideal but if you're in a pinch you know you can just go to walmart and get some white box to get you through a training session or match

I'll add it to my list of exercises.  Muscle wise I am pretty low on the scale so I could probably gain a lot from some work. 

• 3 weeks later...

If you are comfortable putting your thumb over the safety, then it will solve that problem (guys with bigger hands, long thumb can do that, I can't). I had to modify/change my safety with a thinner one (don't like the really wide ones) so that my thumb wouldn't bump it, and it works for me.  I also use heavier bullets (180, 200grs) because I find that the 155grs and below are a lot snappier due to more powder.  The grip on the 2011s are a little big for people with smaller hands, so need to grip it good n tight.  Cheers!