Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Prop Activation Method Question

johnbu

Had a club member tell me that stringing an ELEVATED prop activation cord behind a row of poppers, where any falling popper would drop on the cord and activate a prop, was illegal.

I can't find that discussed in the rule book. He couldn't cite a ruling, but i don't want to unknowingly violate a rule. (We're a brand new club).

Thanks

To the best of my knowledge there is no rule against it, and I have set up so either one of two poppers will set off a moving target more than once. Basically of there is no rule against something then you can do it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

No rule against it.  All I could find on the matter was this rule.

4.5.1 The competitor must not interfere with the range surface, natural foliage, constructions, props or other range equipment (including targets, target stands and target activators) at any time. Violations may incur one procedural penalty per occurrence at the discretion of the Range Officer.

2 hours ago, Matt1 said:

The activation should be consistent for all competitors. Maybe that’s what he was thinking of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Possibly.

Imagine this; 5 poppers in a single row. Any one of them falls,  a prop is activated.

Is it "inconsistent" if popper 1 or popper 4 activates it?  i don't think so, but... ??

That was what i was discribing at the time.

39 minutes ago, johnbu said:

Possibly.

Imagine this; 5 poppers in a single row. Any one of them falls,  a prop is activated.

Is it "inconsistent" if popper 1 or popper 4 activates it?  i don't think so, but... ??

That was what i was discribing at the time.

If all shooters have the option of shooting any of the poppers and each individual popper reacts consistently, there is no issue with this array. It is the shooters responsibility to choose an order of engagement to suit their shooting skills and stage plan.

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 3:29 PM, Poppa Bear said:

Your only issue with an elevated activation wire is the greater chance of it being shot and severed by a shot that misses at that elevation.  The closer that elevation is to the top of the popper the greater the chance.  

This was my thought on that setup, too.  Once a cable is shot and kinked, it likely won't activate quite the same for the shooters who come after.

Any time I hear someone say "ABC123 is illegal" and its not obviously known as illegal then I push back and have them produce evidence of it being illegal in the rule book. If they can't provide ruling evidence of their claims then their opinion on the subject in question really doesn't matter.

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 10:29 AM, ChuckS said:

If all shooters have the option of shooting any of the poppers and each individual popper reacts consistently, there is no issue with this array. It is the shooters responsibility to choose an order of engagement to suit their shooting skills and stage plan.

This