Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Square Deal B

JD45

Yeah, I want a 1050 when I can afford it, but I still believe that the SDB is one heck of a machine. It was my first and only progressive (purchased used) and I couldn't be happier.

Last week I loaded 100rds. in 9 minutes. I was not going wide open and I slowed down enough seating every primer that I was able to stop if a crimped primer pocket was there (or just wiggle and they go in). After pouring in another preloaded primer tube I finished 200rds. before the 20 min. mark. That's a 600rd. per hour potential.

I don't see any way to double charge on this press as long as you don't remove a case. Nice feature.

If Dillon could find a way to make a small affordable case feeder optional, the SDB would be amazing for the money.

I absolutely agree. I've owned an SDB for about five years now and I'm sure I've long exceeded the expected number of loaded rounds for this machine (I'm probably at well over 150,000 rounds now). I can easily exceed 500 rounds per hour (including initial start up and filling primer tubes). It's given me very little trouble and produces remarkably consistent and accurate ammunition. I just wish it was tall enough to load .223.

Cheers,

Kelly McCoy

West Texas

No argument. The SDB is an awesome machine. I've probably loaded 200,000 rounds on a SDB. I think it's the best deal for the money of any reloader available. Dillon or otherwise.

Well, everyone here already knows how THIS lady feels about the SDB. Awesome little investment. Awesome. B) Sometimes I just open the closet door (it's mounted in a closet) just to look at it because I know it's cool. :P

SDB is a great little press !

Usually run about 8 Min. or so from filling the primer tube to the warning buzzer.

Loads great ammo , requires little maintenance other than removing spilled powder and tumbler media from the shell plate.

I still want a 650 .

Travis F.

Well, everyone here already knows how THIS lady feels about the SDB.  Awesome little investment.  Awesome. B)  Sometimes I just open the closet door (it's mounted in a closet) just to look at it because I know it's cool.  :P

Sig, that's the funniest thing you've said in a long time. I'm still laughing :D .

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, SDB's is where it's at. :)

Bought mine in 1988 and loaded a ton of ammo on it. When the 650 came out I had to have one, was quickly disappointed that it was no faster, and took it back to the local dealer.

Last year I got another SDB so I could load .40 and .45 both without tearing anything apart. They're right next to each other on the bench, don't take up much room at all. Coudn't ask for anything better.

In my opinion, 550s blow, in a big way. I cannot imagine not having auto-indexing on a progressive press.

Mike

"I don't see any way to double charge on this press as long as you don't remove a case. Nice feature."

Auto indexing is a great feature & I beleive it prevents many mistakes such as a double charges that sometimes happen with non-auto indexing presses (yes I know it is still technically possible on SDB & 650).

Good press. Wish Dillon would add caliber conversions for many more calibers on this little gem. And a case feader. And lower price. Delivery on a silver platter maybe?

D.

Yeah...a case feeder would be great! You could do 700 rounds an hour with one of those. I did 300 rounds in 32 minutes Saturday on mine and I wasn't pushing hard. Just kind of "in the zone".

With a case feeder you might even get close to 800.

But the SDB is so small that there may not be the real estate for a case feeder. It would also darn near double the price of the press and stop making it a great entry level progressive.

I would still buy a 550B or a 650 because life is not all handgun calibers...especially the very limited supply of handgun calibers the SDB is available in.

I have a 550B that takes care of .44 Mag, .357, and .223 for me. It is generally set up for .223 because I shoot more of that than the other two.

And we KNOW a 550B case feeder is in the works.

I've broken a lot of parts on mine with a lot less rounds through it then what I read here. The primer system is particulary troublesome. I'm going to send it in for a second rebuild soon.

I'm surprised to hear it can stand up to that many.

I have an old one and reading Brian's comment in the store about the SDB, " One last word in the Square Deal's defense, unlike several years ago, it is now a rock-solid machine. ", prompts me to ask whether the new ones are more reliable and durable?

Or, I got a bad one OR I don't know what the heck I am doing! :D

The only problems I had with my SDB was, went through about 5 bolts that hold the shell plate. They just kept snapping, Dillon said it was a bad batch. It was still a pain to get the shell plate loose since it breaks when all the shells are in the dies. Also once in a while the primer system would dump ALL the primers out.