Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Most reliable feeding. Lead, plated, jacketed

B_RAD

29 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

Loading for a 2011 around 1.185". 

All else being equal do you belive that jacketed, lead or plated will offer the most reliable feeding?  Or do you feel it doesn't matter?  

Doesn't matter if the gun is set up properly

Ok, so I asked because I'm trying to get a .40 major load set up for my 2011.  

I've never had a problem with any type of bullet and don't believe or feel that one type is much more accurate than the other. I loaded 23k 9mm last year and 90% were plated. 2.5" groups off hand at 25yds with a Glock 34 is pretty common. 

Since I'm new to .40 and 2011's just thought I'd ask if the coating\jacket had any affect on the longer oal and the 2011 feeding. 

Ok, so I asked because I'm trying to get a .40 major load set up for my 2011.  

I've never had a problem with any type of bullet and don't believe or feel that one type is much more accurate than the other. I loaded 23k 9mm last year and 90% were plated. 2.5" groups off hand at 25yds with a Glock 34 is pretty common. 

Since I'm new to .40 and 2011's just thought I'd ask if the coating\jacket had any affect on the longer oal and the 2011 feeding. 

You'll notice a tighter group with the 2011 because the fitting is much tighter than a glock. Hopefully, you'll get down to 1 inch at 25

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

37 minutes ago, 57K said:

Seems as though I thought I was in the .45 section, LOL!

But, you're right so far as I know. I don't think you give up anything positive by using coated. and whatever style you favor.;)

No problem. 

My favorite bullet for 9mm (Accushadow) was Precsion Delta's 124 jhp  But my Glocks didn't seem to like .355. 

They shoot anything .356 well. Even plated. As do my CZ's.  But the traditionalist swear lead is superior and plated are horribly inaccurate. That's just isn't my experience. 

I found a video of Adam with Atlas saying  the jacketed are gonna be the most reliable feeding. I was leaning towards PD's 180 gr RNFP for my Titan anyways.  I bet those are gonna be accurate!  Yeah they're a little more $ and require a little more powder but I think it's worth it. 

9 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

And the ammo is properly made  ....    :) 

9 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

Doesn't matter if the gun is set up properly

This,,,
Although,, Price being no option ? In my STI loaded to 1.180, 180gr  Jacketed, Hornady HAPS were ungodly accurate.. what I shot at Nationals.  Got a good deal on a case, really liked them then price went through the roof. Run coated cast now

personally, I don't have any issues with the composition of the bullet (Plated, lead etc).  I have seen issues with loading JHP, Round nose,  Flat point and truncated cone in my guns.  I prefer round nose.  That's just my preference.

All of my 40 guns run everything just fine.  I load to 1.126" for my CZ TS.  Both 2011s will feed everything between 1.126" and 1.180".  I've never tried longer.  There are big differences between bullets of the same class.  For example, Rainier Plated bullets are much more accurate than X-Treme.  Precision poly coated are the most accurate of the seven brands I tried.  They are consistent in size and weight.  For lubed lead bullets, the best I've found by far is Dardas Bullets.

If you are loading short because you have different guns, the RNFP feeds a tiny bit better in a 2011.

On 1/30/2018 at 11:29 AM, B_RAD said:

Loading for a 2011 around 1.185". 

All else being equal do you belive that jacketed, lead or plated will offer the most reliable feeding?  Or do you feel it doesn't matter?  

I use SNS Casting 200gr RN at .401 and 1.185" OAL with great success in 2011's. 

• 3 weeks later...

All work pretty well in all of my 2011's as long as they are 1.160"+   Going to say jacketed for best feeding & accuracy.   Plated feeds next best.. then coated. 

Coated have always proven more accurate than plated for me.  All depends upon the barrel.