Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

open

wingnut

5 minutes ago, abb1 said:

Very true, but they can ONLY hold 10 rds. The difference is that the 140mm mags wont fit in the box and that has no relevance for carry optics. Unless I am reading something wrong, but it is stated in USPS rule book:

'For all Carry Optics pistols the maximum weight is 45-ounces with red dot sight and empty magazine. The magazine capacity remains at the Production Division 10-rounds, but the same 140mm magazines allowed in Limited and Open Divisions are allowed for Carry Optics.Dec 5, 2016'

That was changed to the 140 mm rule. https://uspsa.org/viewer/Appendix_D7.pdf

Edited by Chili

3 hours ago, abb1 said:

Gotcha, looks like it was changed,. That really is a plus for going to carry optics! Thanks for the link!

Yeah it is a plus for CO but it also makes CO more like open. I wish it  was 10 rounds. I like CO a lot, but it wasn’t doing it for me so that’s why I switched to open.

Ok, I will take the bait, how does it make it more like Open? In open I can have a 170mm mag, mag well, major PF scoring, frame mounted dot, race holster.

None of that in CO. Just get a dot, only similarity at all! 

Limited you get a magwell, major PF scoring, custom 2011. That has more similarity to open!

42 minutes ago, Broncman said:

Ok, I will take the bait, how does it make it more like Open? In open I can have a 170mm mag, mag well, major PF scoring, frame mounted dot, race holster.

None of that in CO. Just get a dot, only similarity at all! 

Limited you get a magwell, major PF scoring, custom 2011. That has more similarity to open!

I said more like open not like open. You are right there are a lot of differences I agree. But I have always Called CO poor mans open because it’s like shooting open with out the things you stated above. CO in my eyes is more closely related to open than any other class. Back when it was 10 round max it was more like production. I love CO but personally I used it until I could get an open gun. For my area of shooting I was the only person shooting CO so I kind of compared myself to the open shooters maybe thats were my thinking comes from. 

16 hours ago, fatjoe123111 said:

Yeah CO is definitely gaining popularity! I think that’s so to companies putting out red dots that are affordable and gun companies making rmr ready guns.

That too! A lot of shooters are also over 50 and our eyes are not what they used to be. I tried production, and it is a no go, as the daylight in between the iron sites is a blur, therefore I was stuck with open class. Now there is an alternative to those of us with aging eyes :) , as well as those trying a new approach over production that will not break you financially. I definitely think that CO/PO is here to stay!

Edited by abb1

9 hours ago, abb1 said:

That too! A lot of shooters are also over 50 and our eyes are not what they used to be. I tried production, and it is a no go, as the daylight in between the iron sites is a blur, therefore I was stuck with open class. Now there is an alternative to those of us with aging eyes :) , as well as those trying a new approach over production that will not break you financially. I definitely think that CO/PO is here to stay!

I agree CO isn’t going anywhere and it fills a gap between classes.

I just finished putting together a CO G17. I was really thinking about buying a Trubor, but ended up going the CO route. I have about $750 in the pistol, and another $200 in a holster and mags. With the money I had, I also bought an Arredondo speed loader bracket and tubes for my shotgun, and had $$ to spare. 

I haven’t used either in a match yet, but I think I’ll like CO. 

BTW, magazines were a big factor in my decision. I bought 3 140mm ETS mags, a 170mm ETS mag, and a 140mm magpul, all for the same money as one 140mm MBX 2011 mag. 

Every time I shoot a PCC at a pistol match, I feel........dirty  :-)   Actually  while I like having a couple of hoser targets for rifle at 3 gun, a match full of hosers, which is kinda what a uspsa match feels like with PCC, just isn't as fun for me.  But, to each their own

• 2 weeks later...

I am suffering from the Old eye syndrome as well. Purchased a used STI Trubor to experiment with Open shooting.

9mm ....trying minor loads to get used to the whole red dot concept and use some of my current reloading supplies before trying Major loads.

After 3-400rounds through it......I’ve found this thing is a BLAST!!!!.....learning the new Leupold red dot , racker ,comp ..etc...not the finest quality pistol by any means but certainly does the job.......and no more corrective lenses in the Rudy shooter my glasses.....excellent.

1 hour ago, TANFARM said:

Purchased a used STI Trubor  ..I’ve found this thing is a BLAST!!!!. 

Yup, I bought my first TruBor 9mm Major about 10 years ago - it's ALL

I shoot anymore  -   too much fun, and it is a very high quality pistol, IMHO  :)