Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MBX Extension help!

46 minutes ago, Patrick Scott said:

No metal mags, but remember Glock mags are metal lined so different yes, but not completely 

Glock magazines are steel, and coated in polymer. At the bottom of the magazine the plastic (polymer) wraps around the edge and extends up a short way into the inside. This is the problem.

The follower and loaded round are dragging on this and creating a problem. Again, my opinion is the internal dimensions of the MBX  are too tight for this movement to occur freely.

Remember though. Opinions are like rear-ends. Everybody's got one.

1 hour ago, L9X25 said:

I would call them ASAP, it is their part and you are not the first person to have that problem.  

If they can't tell you how to fix it, send it back and get something else.  I will have the Taccom version in a few days and report on that.  

I have a 62 rd splice that works, but I rarely use it.  It is really big and I rarely need that many rounds.  I have a TF extension that gives me 40 100% reliable rounds

and that covers 95% of the stages I see.  

I had been emailing with them prior to starting this thread and already tried everything they suggested so far. I didn't buy it direct from them so not sure how a return would work if I have to go that route.

I did try the Taccom coupler also when it first came out and couldn't get that to work either...

4 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Why do you guys need 47-57 round mags anyways? I can shoot all stages with a mag that holds 36-40. Any more than that and they get heavy. Also there is always a place to reload. Thanks, Eric

There are PCC centric matches being held where the stages are 40-50 rounds.   You can always make a mag change, but you will still be quicker if you don't have to. 

17 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Why do you guys need 47-57 round mags anyways? I can shoot all stages with a mag that holds 36-40. Any more than that and they get heavy. Also there is always a place to reload. Thanks, Eric

I wanted a Mega for PCC only matches but I didn't see myself shooting a lot of those so I held off. A friend of mine gave me one so.. 

I got it running and have used it in a local match just testing to be sure it's good to go. Another match or two and I'll put it away until it's really needed. 

Edited by Patrick Scott

Absolutely right. At our local matches, where the round count never goes over 32, it isn't a problem when using the TF carbine extension. At a PCC dedicated match the sky's the limit. MBX even makes a 57 round extension.

I'll be danged if I'm going to have to make a reload at a match, and someone else doesn't have to.

Edited by MikieM

My last match this year was a USPSA "Monster Match".  All classes shot the same stages.  I used my TF 41 round mag and reloaded on several stages.  The last stage was 60 rounds.  With the MBX 57 round mag, this would have been the only stage requiring a reload.  I was thinking about the MBX mag extension but now I'm not sure.  Reloading while moving between shooting positions does not cost time.  Screwing up the reload does.  The advantage to a big mag is one less possibility of a screw-up.

Edited by Old3GNR
2 hours ago, BartCarter said:

I have no illusions of becoming a PCC master.  I'm just going to get better at reloads. :)

Me becoming a PCC Master is an illusion. I'll be lucky if I don't shoot my eye out with the damn thing. :lol:

Here's a possibility. Mine, and the OP's problem was the same, a build-up of polymer material from the bottom inside of the magazine. As the follower came up feeding ammo, it restricted the movement of said follower, until the follower had moved past the obstruction.

If a person removed the polymer coating from the inside bottom of the magazine all the way to bare metal shouldn't that solve the problem?

Edited by MikieM

Running tapered rounds in a straight magazine is going to have more problems the longer you start making the mags. I could definitely see spring tension playing a part in this. MBX sells a 24 coil for the Mini extension (Mega is 28). You could try one of them and see if it helps. 

Also, you didn't mention what lower/barrel/bolt you're running.  I started PCC with an NFA lower build and had constant problems with TF extensions. It would run like a top with stock 33 round mags, but not with the extensions. I switched it out for a QC10 and never had another issue. 

Edited by jlo86cj

My recommendation would be to put the extension on the mag and remove the lower plate.  Using a light and a straight edge, see if there are any protrusions into the mag body. 

The mag should be the same diameter as the extension and the transition between them should not crush the bullet stack, nor allow it to expand.   Creating a large bevel at the mag bottom, if you are not removing any protruding plastic, would create more problems than it solves.  You can gently file away anything protruding into the path of bullets so that the transition is as smooth as possible.  That would give you the best chance at having as reliable mag.  

I am NOT discounting the "too much spring pressure" theory, what I have offered would enhance the function of whatever extension method you choose, independent of spring pressure.   

I think I've given up trying to get this thing working. I tried everything MBX suggested, they said to NOT try cutting the spring. Now they asked me to send them the mag with dummy rounds for them to look at. I'm not going to load up 57 dummy rounds plus pay shipping for them to look at it. I'm just going to try to return it now, and I'm sure I'll wind up losing shipping costs on it both ways. This has been fun...

5 hours ago, MikieM said:

Here's a possibility. Mine, and the OP's problem was the same, a build-up of polymer material from the bottom inside of the magazine. As the follower came up feeding ammo, it restricted the movement of said follower, until the follower had moved past the obstruction.

If a person removed the polymer coating from the inside bottom of the magazine all the way to bare metal shouldn't that solve the problem?

That doesn't appear to be same issue as mine has. Mine nosedives when fully loaded, but stops when around 45-46 rounds left in mag and at that point follower is still inside extension. Follower doesn't seem to hang up on transition from extension to mag. I also tried extension with an ETS mag that doesn't have that polymer flashing you mention and it had the same nosediving.

5 hours ago, jlo86cj said:

Also, you didn't mention what lower/barrel/bolt you're running.  I started PCC with an NFA lower build and had constant problems with TF extensions. It would run like a top with stock 33 round mags, but not with the extensions. I switched it out for a QC10 and never had another issue. 

NFA lower, JP barrel, CMMG bolt with Glock mag cut. It runs 100% with this same ammo and 33rd mags, 33rd mags with +5 extensions, 31rd ETS mags, 22rd ETS mags, G17 mags with 140mm extensions...

Take the extension off and put the OEM Glock base pad back in it's place. Load it full. If it empties with no malfunctions then you know it's the extension. 

If I have anymore problems I'm thinking about putting a Dawson +1 base pad on the Glock 33 round mag with a stock spring and reloading when necessary with Glock 17 round mag.

These new super extensions are supposed to be designed and manufactured by professionals who (should) know what they're doing, and these products should work from the moment they are installed. There is no reason in the world why we, the consumer, should be constantly making adjustments in order to get them work properly. Especially when you consider the prices they get for them.

Edited by MikieM
2 hours ago, MikieM said:

Take the extension off and put the OEM Glock base pad back in it's place. Load it full. If it empties with no malfunctions then you know it's the extension. 

I've already used that mag in my PCC prior to putting the extension on it and it worked 100%

2 minutes ago, jlo86cj said:

When it nosedives and hangs up firing, is the bolt able to get it past the mag and jam on the barrel or does it jam on the mag?

Jams into front of mag like picture in my first post.

I have the TF extensions that all work but true to form for a USPSA shooter I had to fix something that worked already and ordered an MBX. I did not go all the way down the rabbit hole and only got the mini,looked at the u-tube video (I very seldom read instructions but will watch a short flick) loaded it up and it sat for a day and Les shot it and it functioned from the git-go and used it in a regular match and it worked just fine. Try letting it sit in the dark for a day or so (vodoo) or maybe you just have to download to whatever round count works, I know that sucks but all that trial and error does also. Been doing this for a while and mags that work as advertised is not always a given

On 12/13/2017 at 2:50 PM, Darqusoull13 said:

I must be the only person that has not done a single thing to the MBX, TF or TTI extensions/mag bodies/followers and had 100% reliable function. 

Me too, 100% with both Taylor & MBX. Started with new mags, slapped them together and they work. Used my old mags for small Dawson extensions for classifiers. 

One thing I will add is I have tried PD JHP's and same profile coated as in picture and had all kinds of problems. Went to BB & SNS casting round nose in various weights with no issues or feeding problems.

gerritm

Edited by gerritm
47 minutes ago, gerritm said:

Me too, 100% with both Taylor & MBX. 

One thing I will add is I have tried PD JHP's and same profile coated as in picture and had all kinds of problems.

So your extensions work 100%, although they don't work as all with other profiles?

I would likely not characterize that as working 100%

They work 100% with the bullet profiles I  use. After experimenting with several other profiles, weights, & lengths I found what works. Why would I use something that I know won't work? Not every gun likes every bullet length, profile or weight. JP & Taccom barrels are pretty forgiving along with Glock mags. 

gerritm

Bullet profile (shape) has little to do with our problem, here. OAL could, yes, but not shape.

Remove all of the polymer material that is present at the very bottom of the magazine, and where it extends up into the inside of the mag, and bring it down to bare metal. Polish it if it makes you feel better. This may solve all your problems.

Obviously some of us has had a worse experience than others, in this regard. My problem went away when the extensions went away.