Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock 2 barrel protrusion

kujo929

In my Limited Pro the barrel is flush like OP’s gun on right. I ordered a barrel for it from EAA in another caliber. It is shorter than the original. 

Contacted Customer Service and still waiting. But it is shorter than slide. Have not tried shooting it. May work fine. 

This was after the pricing increase. The barrel was more than the complete slide for my Match.

[mention=5468]kujo929[/mention] Here is your answer. Same is the case on my Stock 2s. One is old model. One is new. My guess is if you look at beaver tail, they are different too.

Nope, everything else is the same with beavertail and such. Guns about 6k apart in serial number. Doesn’t matter, under match conditions my Lim Pro and stock 2 were completely interchangeable. Definitely won’t notice barrel.

ed724f8fbd0e2a5a82cb0b87ca7f0acc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, kujo929 said:

Nope, everything else is the same with beavertail and such. Guns about 6k apart in serial number. Doesn’t matter, under match conditions my Lim Pro and stock 2 were completely interchangeable. Definitely won’t notice barrel.

ed724f8fbd0e2a5a82cb0b87ca7f0acc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crazy. I would just chalk it up to tanfo and their laxed tolerances. 

How many design changes have they had?

Frame or internals? I count 3 distinct frame changes (feel free to correct me if anyone finds a error.)

Frame one: checkering is aggressive, protruding barrel, beaver tail is larger, trigger guard is thinner. Magazine brake area isn’t milled out. Engraving on slide is cursive. LPA sights.

Frame two: checkering is less aggressive, no protruding barrel, beaver tail is smaller, trigger guard is fatter, magazine brake is milled out. Engraving on slide is cursive. LPA sights.

Frame three: same as frame two except engraving on slide is in block characters. The sights aren’t LPA anymore, they have are kinda angled.

In between the 3 frames, you get changes internally; from the two piece sear to one piece, extended/firing pin block, firing pin (same characteristics as the Xtreme firing pin), and trigger bar (notch/no notch).

Lots of stuff to keep track of :)

19 minutes ago, SouperMan said:

Frame or internals? I count 3 distinct frame changes (feel free to correct me if anyone finds a error.)

Frame one: checkering is aggressive, protruding barrel, beaver tail is larger, trigger guard is thinner. Magazine brake area isn’t milled out. Engraving on slide is cursive. LPA sights.

Frame two: checkering is less aggressive, no protruding barrel, beaver tail is smaller, trigger guard is fatter, magazine brake is milled out. Engraving on slide is cursive. LPA sights.

Frame three: same as frame two except engraving on slide is in block characters. The sights aren’t LPA anymore, they have are kinda angled.

In between the 3 frames, you get changes internally; from the two piece sear to one piece, extended/firing pin block, firing pin (same characteristics as the Xtreme firing pin), and trigger bar (notch/no notch).

Lots of stuff to keep track of :)

Dang.... you took me to school. Good info. I thought there were only 2.

At Tanfoglio, quality control is more of an idea than a reality.  Lots of subtle to obvious differences between guns across the years.  No real consistency.  Different frames, different parts, different sharpness of checkering.  Fortunately the guns are great in spite of such an unsavory lack of process control.

2 hours ago, Dr Mitch said:

At Tanfoglio, quality control is more of an idea than a reality.  Lots of subtle to obvious differences between guns across the years.  No real consistency.  Different frames, different parts, different sharpness of checkering.  Fortunately the guns are great in spite of such an unsavory lack of process control.

i can only say that it's good base for start building better gun. 

it's only good quality  metal for me. ;)

3 hours ago, yigal said:

i can only say that it's good base for start building better gun.

Exactly.

If you buy a Shadow 2, you have the complete race car. Sure, you can change the tires and seats and little details (sights, springs, grips) but it’s pretty much ready to go.

Buying a Tanfogio is more like buying the bare race car chassis. Sure, there’s a 4 cylinder engine in there which you CAN move the car wih,  but if you want to race you need to take it apart and install the thumping V8 and set up the suspension the way you like.

Tanfoglios are for those of us who have a well stocked toolbox in the garage and a project car up on jackstands... or else those who want the (percieved) best most customized gun, and don’t mind finding a builder to make it happen.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Aside from needing to fix the nasty rough finish inside the holes, the amount of work on cz and tanfo is very similar. 

A friend went cz from tanfo (similar to another person's journey). He said the time  / parts needed to polish and tune are very close.   triggers are VERY close too, but he runs his light. 4.5da/2sa, and is winchester or softer. Fyi, he uses an unmodified 650 and seats the winchesters 0.008 deep.

I find Winchesters very easy to bury with the 650, right up there with the softer Federals. So that tracks. S&B seat fairly well too.

With CCI though, even shimming the ram can’t get every primer .003 below flush. Their cups are just plain rock hard.

That said, I’m only loading for plastic guns with stock striker springs these days: I’m back to CCI Magnums running 100% as long as they aren’t above flush. ?

27 minutes ago, johnbu said:

A friend went cz from tanfo (similar to another person's journey).

Yeah. But he’s a trigger snob, as you mentioned.

The Shadow 2 probably wouldn’t get any work done by me. The one I shot was damn shootable out of the box. The 12 lb Tanfo I bougt? That was another story.

(Keep in mind I’m shooting a 5.1lb stock striker gun now, and quickly learning all that $$$ into the Tanfo wasn’t helping me shoot any better.)

20 minutes ago, johnbu said:

Aside from needing to fix the nasty rough finish inside the holes, the amount of work on cz and tanfo is very similar. 

A friend went cz from tanfo (similar to another person's journey). He said the time  / parts needed to polish and tune are very close.   triggers are VERY close too, but he runs his light. 4.5da/2sa, and is winchester or softer. Fyi, he uses an unmodified 650 and seats the winchesters 0.008 deep.

now i use cz tso  and if u think that it's arrived perfect from the box it's not.

after that i really wanted to meet  the gunsmith that assembled it .:o

3 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Tanfoglios are for those of us who have a well stocked toolbox in the garage and a project car up on jackstands... or else those who want the (percieved) best most customized gun, and don’t mind finding a builder to make it happen.

Eh, I don't entirely agree but then we never have on this issue. My first - dryfire/practice gun has only a very light polish job and sports PD's sear spring and hammer spring. Sure it's kinda heavy with some grit at 6.5da and 3.75sa using a stock hammer but it doesn't impact my time or scores.  My match gun has a really great trigger worked over by someone, don't know who though as I bought it used.

Point is the match & practice guns have approx. the same trigger weight, the match gun is just smoother. Running drills in practice, with both guns, Hit Factor on a drill is constant with both.

If you wanna tinker, Tanfo is your huckleberry. If you don't wanna tinker and just do a few things to get a great gun, Tanfo is right there too. 

Ford vs. Chevy. Apple vs. Android. Left vs. Right. Your choice...

Edited by SCTaylor

@SCTaylor I think we agree more than we disagree.

A well-polished mechanism that’s glass smooth is more important than the lightest possible breaking weight.

Yes, I’m shooting a “stock” Walther Q5 now. But you better believe I stripped it down and polished the action like a mirror before I fired a single round through it. I’m actually under 5lbs due to that, I’m just “stock” because I am running the factory parts and springs.

Tanfo tuning was a valuable experience in how important REALLY polishing your action can be, and what “fully” polished actually looks like.