Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Factory .40 for limited

THEMULE

I’m in the process of moving and my press will be packed up for a considerable time. I normally run long loaded .40 ~166-167 pf 180gr. I haven’t had any feed issues with factory length ammo in my STI’s. Does anyone have any recommendations for inexpensive practice/match ammo that performs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m in the process of moving and my press will be packed up for a considerable time. I normally run long loaded .40 ~166-167 pf 180gr. I haven’t had any feed issues with factory length ammo in my STI’s. Does anyone have any recommendations for inexpensive practice/match ammo that performs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm an avid reloader....but l have fired 4 or 5 boxes of selier & bellot with zero issues. The bullet profile seems pointier. No other bullets I've tried at factory length work well in my edge.

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

Winchester White Box 165gr.  Works fine but only makes 164PF in my barrel.  Should be fine for practice though.

Edited to read 165gr, not 180.

Edited by zzt

When I'm pressed for time and need some consistent factory ammo, my go to choice is always Winchester White Box 165s. It's easy to find, always makes major PF and it's very accurate.  Recoil is about the same as my 180 reloads and I don't have to change my zero at 25 yards. 

Edited by 72stick

Please forgive the noob feedback but I just went .40 Major and I don’t reload (yet) so am working on this exact issue. In two months of trials:

Winchester white box 165 gr is performing the best. I’ll probaby use it as primary match ammo however is the most expensive and worry what the budget will be in the busy summer season when I can shoot up to three matches a month. 

Freedom munitions 185 New has been good during practice. I will try a match in the spring to see how reliable it is under those conditions.  Might be a viable economic option. Their quality can vary. I got a bad batch of .38 special once but have shot cases of 9mm with no issues.

Blazer brass shoots reasonably accurate but occasionally I get an easy to clear fail to feed. I don’t think they are as consistent in cartridge length.

Disclaimer: I’m running and XDm and realize that a striker-fired is generally more forgiving on ammo than hammer-fired 1911/ 2011’s. Hope this is helpful.

1 hour ago, Mcfoto said:

Please forgive the noob feedback but I just went .40 Major and I don’t reload (yet) so am working on this exact issue. In two months of trials:

Winchester white box 165 gr is performing the best. I’ll probaby use it as primary match ammo however is the most expensive and worry what the budget will be in the busy summer season when I can shoot up to three matches a month. 

Freedom munitions 185 New has been good during practice. I will try a match in the spring to see how reliable it is under those conditions.  Might be a viable economic option. Their quality can vary. I got a bad batch of .38 special once but have shot cases of 9mm with no issues.

Blazer brass shoots reasonably accurate but occasionally I get an easy to clear fail to feed. I don’t think they are as consistent in cartridge length.

Disclaimer: I’m running and XDm and realize that a striker-fired is generally more forgiving on ammo than hammer-fired 1911/ 2011’s. Hope this is helpful.

My experience is close to yours. I haven't tried the Freedom ammo, but I've tested with the same bullet they use in their ammo. Loaded out to 1.180 OAL for my STI Edge, the Extreme 180s on top of 4.8g of WST are just as accurate as the WW box at 25 yards and make major PF.

I shoot many 1000's of rounds of freedom munitions a year. Shoot the remans during practice and new during a match. I believe they even have a competition line of ammo but it's pretty expensive. 

The 180gr makes 171 power factor. https://www.freedommunitions.com/ammunition/pistol/40-smith-wesson/40-s-w-180-gr-rnfp-new.html

The 165gr makes 165 power factor and I would not reccomend for competition. https://www.freedommunitions.com/ammunition/pistol/40-smith-wesson/40-s-w-165-gr-rnfp-new.html

6 hours ago, Descartian said:

I shoot many 1000's of rounds of freedom munitions a year. Shoot the remans during practice and new during a match. I believe they even have a competition line of ammo but it's pretty expensive. 

The 180gr makes 171 power factor. https://www.freedommunitions.com/ammunition/pistol/40-smith-wesson/40-s-w-180-gr-rnfp-new.html

The 165gr makes 165 power factor and I would not reccomend for competition. https://www.freedommunitions.com/ammunition/pistol/40-smith-wesson/40-s-w-165-gr-rnfp-new.html

On paper 165 makes major (exactly). Are you recommending 180 just be safe over variances or is there a quality difference? I shoot almost exclusively monthly club matches with no chrono stage. We are on our honor when we declare major and when shooting factory ammo, if the specs and the math add up, you are good.

4 hours ago, Mcfoto said:

On paper 165 makes major (exactly). Are you recommending 180 just be safe over variances or is there a quality difference? I shoot almost exclusively monthly club matches with no chrono stage. We are on our honor when we declare major and when shooting factory ammo, if the specs and the math add up, you are good.

Exactly. If you were chrono'd you'd want to go with the 180's, the 165's probably wouldn't chrono consistently enough (charge variations, altitude, temp, humidity, etc) to bet a match on it. 

Of your on the honor system then go with the 165's. You might want to try both rounds to see what you are most comfortable shooting and what works best with the timing of your pistol. 

I see the specs online a different now by when I was in Hawaii I shot American Eagle 165's was most mild load I found and gave me 169 pf at State Match, out of a 5 " Para , not sure if I had installed the Barsto or was still stock at the time.
This was in 2003 ish,, so u may want to choro the stuff.

I have an Edge incoming (excited) so I'm watching this thread.  I didn't know the WWB was so soft, but damn its expensive!  I just shot Federal Champion 180gr in a match out of a Para 16-40.  It ran perfectly, and is pretty cheap at Wally World.  Atlanta Arms and Precision Delta both have a competition round with a longer OAL tailored to the 2011, once back in stock ill be snaggin some.

https://atlantaarms.com/products/40-s-w-long-1-175-oal-180gr-jfp-major.html

https://www.precisiondelta.com/products/40-s-w-180gr-fmj-long-remanufactured-ammunition/