Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MPX Killer?

I don't understand the love for the MPX. I routinely see them lock completely down at matches. I shot one and they are not that much different than a properly tuned AR style PCC which has a lot more (affordable) options. Just my opinion....

Edited by wyliearms

I had to look at what the Radial Delayed Blowback  system was.  They use a modified AR15 style bolt and bolt carrier group where the bolt rotates into the locking lugs.  Instead of having the gas pressure rotate the bolt to unlock it, they cut the bolt lugs (and likely the barrel lugs) at an angle so that the recoil energy rotates the bolt and the friction is enough to delay the unlocking long enough so that the BCG and buffer can be lightweight and lightly sprung.   It is similar to what could happen if you had a bolt with severely worn out locking lugs  that would slide out of the barrel locking lugs.  Time will tell if this system can function long term without wearing out the friction points.

3 hours ago, wyliearms said:

I don't understand the love for the MPX. I routinely see them lock completely down at matches. I shot one and they are not that much different than a properly tuned AR style PCC which has a lot more (affordable) options. Just my opinion....

I had been considering an MPX, but after I started tuning mine it tamed down a ton and is running 100% (knock on wood). I haven't seen a Sig run 100% yet at our local matches... For now I'm holding off (and holding onto the cash) LOL

1 minute ago, TGibe said:

I had been considering an MPX, but after I started tuning mine it tamed down a ton and is running 100% (knock on wood). I haven't seen a Sig run 100% yet at our local matches... For now I'm holding off (and holding onto the cash) LOL

We have a couple at our matches that seem to run fine, but they look like complicated machines internally. 

The initial cost to purchase is pretty steep and the cost of upgrades is even worse.    

I think the reason that you see with the MPX's not running is simply the reloads that folks are running in them. I have witnessed shooters running to the absolute bottom of the power factor out of their rifles.  Mine has not missed a beat, but I run factory Federal 115's.  The reason the MPX soft shooting feel is a light operating system.  I would love to see more of the CMMG design, as well as others.  Brian, you can do it. Go for it.

2 hours ago, troupe said:

I think the reason that you see with the MPX's not running is simply the reloads that folks are running in them. I have witnessed shooters running to the absolute bottom of the power factor out of their rifles.  Mine has not missed a beat, but I run factory Federal 115's.  The reason the MPX soft shooting feel is a light operating system.  I would love to see more of the CMMG design, as well as others.  Brian, you can do it. Go for it.

I think you are correct. I have not had a single malfunction in my MPX all season. I shot area 3 with a GM MPX shooter, both of us made it through the match in one day with no malfunctions or stops to relube.  Shooting 133 power factor 124 grain PD JHPs over titegroup.

I don't see the obsession with the bottom floor PF loads on the MPX, the difference in recoil impulse between 120 and 140 is almost nothing. Keep the reloads in the 130-135 range and it will run forever in my experience. 

1) What's not an MPX killer? Keltec? Hi-Point? Glockaroni?

2) +1 on wondering how this "radial delayed blowback" will hold up, and if early adopters might end disappointed if/ when support is discontinued.

3) Looking at their site- are they really trying to sell that same exact stripped lower as every corner gunstore and small firm... for $375?

The CMMG Guard 45 cal Radial Delayed Blowback has been out about 5 months.  The first day of endurance testing they shot 7500 rounds, cleaning it every 3000 rounds.  Good reviews.  The 45 runs a standard H buffer and recoil is less than that of a blowback 9mm.  They have a weight tuning kit that changes the way the rifle shoots with +P and suppressors.

When the 45 came out, I was building my 1st PCC.  If it was 9mm, I would have bought it.  Now 5 PCC builds later, I am thinking 9mm Guard.

Looking at the difference between buying parts and adding my choice of stock, trigger, etc. and buy their lowest price complete and swapping parts.  Looks like I should just by the complete.

1st dealer that has the normal dealer pricing will get my order.

Just when I finally get my PCC where I want it ....:P

17 minutes ago, BartCarter said:

The CMMG Guard 45 cal Radial Delayed Blowback has been out about 5 months.  The first day of endurance testing they shot 7500 rounds, cleaning it every 3000 rounds.  Good reviews.  The 45 runs a standard H buffer and recoil is less than that of a blowback 9mm.  They have a weight tuning kit that changes the way the rifle shoots with +P and suppressors.

When the 45 came out, I was building my 1st PCC.  If it was 9mm, I would have bought it.  Now 5 PCC builds later, I am thinking 9mm Guard.

Looking at the difference between buying parts and adding my choice of stock, trigger, etc. and buy their lowest price complete and swapping parts.  Looks like I should just by the complete.

1st dealer that has the normal dealer pricing will get my order.

Just when I finally get my PCC where I want it ....:P

I feel your pain, brother!

Keep us posted Brian.  When I done the comparison with my AR and MPX side by side, same ammo and same sight, ten rounds through each. There was no comparison on the felt recoil. I hope the CMMG works out. The trick is for sure to decrease the operating mass.  Slow the unlocking and decrease that mass, it should be as soft as the MPX.  I would love to do a side by side with the CMMG and the MPX.  I have enough rounds through my MPX that I could give a honest comparison.  It would be great to be able to buy a small handguard that does not cost the inflated prices that are being charged for the MPX stuff.  Granted that there is a lot of work that has to go into the MPX handguards.

17 minutes ago, troupe said:

Keep us posted Brian.  When I done the comparison with my AR and MPX side by side, same ammo and same sight, ten rounds through each. There was no comparison on the felt recoil. I hope the CMMG works out. The trick is for sure to decrease the operating mass.  Slow the unlocking and decrease that mass, it should be as soft as the MPX.  I would love to do a side by side with the CMMG and the MPX.  I have enough rounds through my MPX that I could give a honest comparison.  It would be great to be able to buy a small handguard that does not cost the inflated prices that are being charged for the MPX stuff.  Granted that there is a lot of work that has to go into the MPX handguards.

Tommy: You could make your own MPX hand guard by leaving off the original and getting some pipe insulation to put over the barrel. A couple of zip ties and your done. Or maybe an adapter with some PVC pipe. I think there will be more stuff for the MPX coming out at Shot Show or just after. Thanks, Eric

16 hours ago, bmiller said:

On their site, they are selling bolt and barrel combos.  I think I am going to talk to them tomorrow.

I ordered that set up yesterday........they have no clue if their barrel and bolt will work with any other lowers out there. One thing for sure, it's not going to work with Colt style lowers. But I figured we'll see what we can do this in the run of the mill lowers out there on the market now (NFA, QC10, PSA, etc)

Edited by TRUBL
1 hour ago, troupe said:

There IS a small dia HG for the MPX out there ya know

My understanding is that for the DI 9mm uppers, the mag catch shelf needed to be lowered a bit to keep the feed lips of a Glock mag from interfering with the bolt lugs.

I have been told it is also possible to drop a Colt mag low enough to gain compatibility on the DI setups. The upper I had was sold to a friend, who is testing it with an undisclosed lower/mag combo.

Under the tech specs it also says it requires a modified upper for reliability. I haven't seen a picture of the barrel extension, but my guess would be that for a Glock mag setup the upper itself might need to have a feed ramp cut in the middle (as opposed to the M4 ramps already cut in most uppers).

Tim, any chance we will see a ULW Guard Bolt/Barrel kit?

31 minutes ago, MikeRush said:

My understanding is that for the DI 9mm uppers, the mag catch shelf needed to be lowered a bit to keep the feed lips of a Glock mag from interfering with the bolt lugs.

I have been told it is also possible to drop a Colt mag low enough to gain compatibility on the DI setups. The upper I had was sold to a friend, who is testing it with an undisclosed lower/mag combo.

Under the tech specs it also says it requires a modified upper for reliability. I haven't seen a picture of the barrel extension, but my guess would be that for a Glock mag setup the upper itself might need to have a feed ramp cut in the middle (as opposed to the M4 ramps already cut in most uppers).

Tim, any chance we will see a ULW Guard Bolt/Barrel kit?

Don't worry.......when I get the set up, I will figure it all out. And you will know

BTW.......I'm pretty certain already that the glock being a center feed and colt not being center feed, the bolt and carrier may not work.....I'll look into it of course, but I have a feeling that its gonna be a Glock set up

I do understand that the way the handguard attaches onto the MPX is a design challenge with the gas system and all.  Eric, I do like the PVC idea and while I am at it, I could have the PVC hydro dipped to look like carbon fiber. With the right zip ties , maybe I could come in at $300 and market it.  Will have to wait and see what comes out of the Shot Show.  The Lancer looks good, but not enough of a gain for me for that type of money. There will be some good products coming since PCC is doing so well. It is a ball to shoot for me for sure. With enough power in the ammo and a little lube, the MPX is great.  I think that even applies to pistols.  The PCC market is going to explode if the rules are left alone and we all can have fun.