Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Titegroup vs. Bullseye

darr3239

Bullseye all the way.

Tom

So glad this topic has come up.

Hey Tom, if you don't mind me asking. What Bullseye load do you like?

I have been working on some 9mm loads with both Bullseye and Tite Group. I had been using 3.8 Bullseye with Bayou 124 grain TCG @ 1.08 and still working down. I mistakenly ordered some Bayou 120 grain TCG because they don't make the 124 anymore. From a recommendation I have loaded these with 3.6 TG @ 1.07. I love the way they shoot but it seems to burn considerably dirtier. I don't remember Bullseye being as dirty.

Thanks,

Dan

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I've used both a bit in 9mm though never a CZ.

Cleanliness/dirtiness and smoke with lead/coated is a wash. 

I got essentially the same velocity with 0.2gr less Bullseye.

I thought recoil started getting harsh with BE at a lower velocity than TG when I was working up major loads in 40

The differences are minor in my experience. I have loaded equivalent charges and obtained nearly identical velocities for a given bullet and OAL. Generally Titegroup burns a bit dirtier and hotter compared to Bullseye but both powders are excellent for 9 minor in my experience. 

22 hours ago, capt._dan said:

So glad this topic has come up.

Hey Tom, if you don't mind me asking. What Bullseye load do you like?

I have been working on some 9mm loads with both Bullseye and Tite Group. I had been using 3.8 Bullseye with Bayou 124 grain TCG @ 1.08 and still working down. I mistakenly ordered some Bayou 120 grain TCG because they don't make the 124 anymore. From a recommendation I have loaded these with 3.6 TG @ 1.07. I love the way they shoot but it seems to burn considerably dirtier. I don't remember Bullseye being as dirty.

Thanks,

Dan

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

3.6 Bullseye with Zero 147 grain JHP @ 1.125 shoots great Revlover or Semi.

Tom

22 hours ago, capt._dan said:

I've found that Bullseye is much cleaner in higher pressure rounds like 9mm & 40S&W than low pressure rounds like 45ACP. 

It's not as clean as N320, but I've used Bullseye in 40S&W Long for a while. Though it was pretty nice shooting and cheap. 

I only use TG, for all my pistol loads.  Keeps things simple, it's cheap and it just plain works.    I clean my pistols regularly, so it's relative dirtiness means nothing to me.  To me, if I can make a reliable load with the cheapest powder out there, then I find the load I like and then never rethink it again.  I've had very high-level shooters suggest I try other powders,  but shooting their ammo side-by-side with my own, every other round, I couldn't tell a difference between the two.     

I have been thingking move to VV, but other than a little bit more cleaning I need to do. TG for my production and standard gun never let me down. And CFE works well for my open. May not the best powder out there, but they work very consistent. Consistent is the let work on this sport.

Edited by Magictalent

I've only had experience shooting HP-38, ETR-7, and Titegroup. HP-38 was really dirty and was super temperature sensitive, and I've had quite a bit of luck with ETR-7 and Titegroup. With the differences in Titegroup, Bullseye, and N320, does it make sense to have different powder for local match ammo (Titegroup) and major match ammo (like N320)?

I can't stand TG.  It burns hot, smokes like a chimney and it's dirty.  I'd use Bullseye before I'd use TG.  I gave my TG away.  I understand why it's popular.  You could always walk into any reloading supply shop around me and find oodles of it on the shelf for cheap.  It's also popular with the ATA Trap shooters.

I look for powders that are clean, consistent from lot to lot, and exhibit little or no temperature sensitivity.  For anything minor from 9mm to 45, I will use Alliant e3.  For 45 major I use Solo 1000.  I'll also be using that for my PCC reloads.  For open I prefer Silhouette, but do use WAC.  I have HS-6, but it runs dirty.

• 3 weeks later...

Ran a handful of 9mm loads over the chrono @ 15ft yesterday using powders on hand including TG and BE, 133gr coated RN, Winchester Small Pistol, Win brass, 1.135 OAL, G17, 10rnd strings

3.5gr TG Avg: 999 ES: 28 SD: 9

3.5gr BE Avg: 983 ES: 26 SD: 7

BE with a CCI was 996, 29, 9

They're pretty close in this application.

I think I'm going to Shooter's World CleanShot for a while, ES 12, SD 4, cheaper than either above, not quite as fast 3.6gr @ 979fps accuracy was good, reports from others have it pretty clean.