Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pcc suggestions

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you can build a competitive AR, if you like to tinker and don’t mind have a few hundred tied up in leftover parts that just didn’t work out the best may be for you. But don’t expect to save much money compared to a ready to run JP.

I started out with a PSA (Palmetto State Armory) they had on sale for $550. I ran a few hundred rounds of leftover IDPA loads without any issues. I then changed over to Winchester White Box and started upgrading. I put in a hyper-fire 24c (much nicer). I added the excellent billet mag-well from BMiller and changed out the Buffer to the Blitzkrieg and .308 spring (this really improved the dot movement). I ran 500 rounds with this configuration without any malfunctions, I headed to the Area 4 championship (without the JP GMR13 my buddy offer to loan me as a backup).  On the first stage my gun developed stage fright and refused to chamber the first round, after “talking it into loading” it ran fine, until the next stage. This continued for the entire match. It turned out that the 308 spring was too stiff (Thanks to Eric for pointing this out).  I put the standard spring back in and it ran fine. I then took stock in how much I had spent on this “Budget Build”, how much I spent on the 2 day Area 4 championship match I took it to and how much enjoyment I received from competing with a gun that didn’t want to run. I pulled the upgraded parts off the PSA, sold everything off put $400-500 with it and placed my order for a new JP GMR15.  

I put together a parts list of everything that I wanted to build my own "custom" AR9.  I got the prices totaled up, considered the possibility that some parts may not play well together (some triggers not cocking with some bolts or combinations, some lowers hold the Glock mags at an incorrect angle, some bolts not liking some barrels, along with the fact that I was using a few JP pieces already.  Then I started seeing all of the people having problems with trigger groups not working properly, magazines that would not drop freely, magazines that would not work with some lowers, barrels that would not chamber long factory ammo, etc.  The guys with JP rifles at my club had not even touched their rifles and they ran perfectly. The money was very close on buying a GMR-13 versus building my own.  I was moving towards more and more JP parts (barrel, trigger, SCS buffer/spring, bolt) and decided to let them take responsibility for the gun working.  

In the end, the JP has worked every time I pulled the trigger.  I have polished the trigger a little, changed buffers, buffers weights and buffer springs many times and the rifle still works every time.  I may build one myself someday, but I do not regret getting the JP in the least.  I hit the ground running and was able to shoot a match the next weekend after receiving the gun, no tuning, no glitches, no problems (other than my shooting).  I purchased a few bulk packs of WWB ammo and the rifle was ready to play.  

Edited by L9X25
formatting

Not sure if it has been mentioned or not but the LeadStar Arms PCC is one of the best out there. Integrated feed ramp, LRBHO, dedicated lower. All of that coupled with a light weight anodized platform either skeletonized or solid. The gun just runs....

9 hours ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

Where?  That’s awesome

Midway USA. It holds two guns, actually.

At our last match I walked up to one of the ladies and said, "What do you think?"

She said, "You think you're some kind of a fighter pilot?"

I said, "Yeah. Sort of."

She said, "Well, then fly away."

On 10/22/2017 at 6:46 PM, RangerTrace said:

It looks pretty and his pistols run.  I ordered one, even though I don't or at least have not shot PCC

I hope the wait is not like SV. I am at 15 months as if 10-23-17 for my pistol so my build date has passed. I hope it’s not much longer but I am not holding my breath I’ll see it anytime soon. 

1 hour ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

So Bobby is taking orders on the pcc rifle. 

Copied this from CKArms FB page:

Pistol Caliber Carbine rifles are going through final live fire function testing. This one features a 5.5" Taccom sleeved barrel to 16" so no NFA stamp is required. Utilizing the aluminum sleeve takes a pound off the rifle coming in at 5.5lbs. They also feature a Taccom adjustable buffer system. The introductory price on these rifles is $999.99. They will be going on the website next week. Stay tuned for more PCC updates in the next couple days as we reveal more new items in the CK Arms PCC line!

C4959C6A-298B-4C26-B884-EC311FFF37E7.jpeg

Edited by scooterj
1 hour ago, scooterj said:

Copied this from CKArms FB page:

Pistol Caliber Carbine rifles are going through final live fire function testing. This one features a 5.5" Taccom sleeved barrel to 16" so no NFA stamp is required. Utilizing the aluminum sleeve takes a pound off the rifle coming in at 5.5lbs. They also feature a Taccom adjustable buffer system. The introductory price on these rifles is $999.99. They will be going on the website next week. Stay tuned for more PCC updates in the next couple days as we reveal more new items in the CK Arms PCC line!

C4959C6A-298B-4C26-B884-EC311FFF37E7.jpeg

Bobby emailed me today and said he didn’t think so many people would want one. He’s a little behind and hopes to have some in the website in about a week. 

On 10/24/2017 at 6:50 PM, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: I don't see how they are taking off one pound off the barrel when a light weight 16" barrel only weights 19 ozs? A JP 16" barrel is 24.7ozs. Just saying. Thanks, Eric

I looked at the CKArms Facebook page.  He has info and pictures on both guns.  The full barreled gun weighs 6.5# and the Taccom barreled gun weighs 5.5#.  Other than  the barrel and the addition of a muzzle brake, both guns appear identical.  Hard to see where the 1# savings comes from.