Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pcc suggestions

Getting ready to get into pcc. Just was wondering what rifle is good to go with. I’ve seen the new jp and I like the sig but want to know what would be a good rig also optic to run with it. Don’t wanna break the bank but want to get something nice. Any input will be appreciated 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't go wrong with JP. I have a JP GMR-13 upper based rig. That being said, I have been VERY happy with the taccom ULW uppers using QC10 lowers....I have two of them.

I am so happier with them, that I am thinking about selling the JP upper.

For optics...I have two Trijicon MRO's and a C-More railway. Both work well for me.

Good luck on your search.

Hello: Do you reload? Do you like to tinker with stuff to see what it can do? If yes to both of those build your own AR9mm. If not then look at a JP or a Sig MPX. For an optic go with a C-More railway with a 6MOA dot. I have a Sig MPX pistol I built up and also a couple AR9's. Right now I can't say which one is faster for me. I would see if you can shoot both and then make up your mind. Thanks, Eric

I would suggest it depends on your experience in multi gun competition, law or military training prior to going into PCC... if you already handle an AR platform well, that would be my suggestion...aftermarket support is extensive for both Colt and Glock pattern lowers that use traditional AR fire control groups... I've not shot one, but reduced recoil from a locked breech carbine like the SiG should be less than a blow back design, but expensive.. down here we jokingly refer to us old guys as "mature PCC shooters" to differentiate from the go-fast kids....I've shot a couple of JP rifles with exceptional triggers and accuracy, but for me I have enough practical accuracy with my self built carbine to have fun... if I can hold 2" at 50m with a dot scope, that is good enough for me, and I have about $800 in my rifle excluding dot...

for a dot, I use the Vortex SPARCII (2032 battery)... I have a pretty bad astigmatism, and I see a round dot with the distant portion of my bifocals...good luck on your search

I just finished mine. I have a QC-10 upper/lower, and am using the Taccom ULW barrel with shroud.

I'm thinking about another, but with a few different components. Regardless, however, the main theme will be to keep it as light as possible.

If you have the time to research an tinker, you'll get more for your money by building one yourself. I haven't seen any MPXs locally, but the only off-the-shelf PCCs that I have seen run without problems are the JPs. Most of the shooters are running factory ammo as well.

Only problem I see with the JP is that they seem so front heavy.

Before I got one I looked around at who was running what. As far as the guys who built their own, some ran great, others not so great. I have 2 friends who both had GMR-13's. I never saw them have a problem. They just run and run. And keep running. So I went the low stress route and bought a GMR-15 and bolted on a C-more. Runs 100%. I am going to play with the buffer a bit next week though. 

I'm sure there are carbines out there that perform a little better but as far as reliability, they might match but not exceed the JP. This was the top selling point for me. Other than reliability, the JP isn't spectacular in any one area, but it does do everything very good. 

Buy the Sig MPX. It is softer shooting. I run the Romeo 5 2 min dot on it. I had a Primary Arms 2 min which work great as well. When I switched from my AR platform and went with the Sig, I moved up about ten places on average in my finishes. The confidence the Sig allowed me on hard shots was great, but that is just me.I had a comparison run with a few experienced shooters at my club, same ammo, same sight, Sig versus AR. Same number of shots. Every shooter only fired a couple of rounds through the Sig after they had fired the full ten rounds through the AR, when they would stop in amazement at how soft the Sig was.  Spend the money once, and don't keep chasing a better mouse trap with the AR design. I am not knocking the AR design at all, because my SBR Suppressed 9 is a AR design and it is my go to carbine for other things, just not my game gun.

10 hours ago, BigBamBoo said:

Reliability in PCC rigs generally come from using quality parts. Nothing magical about JP's....and I own a GMR-13.

My home built PCC rigs run as well as my JP rig does. But again...I did not go cheap.

I agree. 

I took a long look at the JP gun, but in the end decided to assemble my own, and like Big here, I used top of the line parts. That's the key, along with the right combination of parts.

If the GMR suits your needs, it's hard to beat.  It didn't suit mine:  Heavy handguard, no lefty mag release, and I wasn't already invested in Glock mags.

So I built my own off a BCP Colt lower, but used JP barrel, bolt, and SCS.  Runs great so far.

My Just Right Carbine has been 100% flawless, accurate and didn't break the bank at $599! Takes Glock mags which is a bonus since I have a few already on hand. It's flat top and optics ready of your choice. Mine sports a  3x9 Nikon and 1" groups, off the bench, are the norm.

On 10/13/2017 at 6:14 PM, hitman_usmc said:

I got the Nordic PCC last week. Put 300 rounds through it without issue. Haven't shot it in a match yet. Worth a look. 

The Nordic is a nice rig. We have a gent at our local club who has one and it shoots very well. Fit and finish is well above average.

Only “down side”....as a RO...is it is quiet with the 16”  barrel so the timer needs to be close. 

Good luck with your first match with it. 

Last year, I saw that my local gun shop had Aero survival rifles. I liked the idea that I could unscrew the handguard, pull out the barrel, push out 2 pins to drop the lower, and slide the bolt assy out the front, like a shotgun, I had a friend thread the barrel, put a brake on it, and drill and tap the mag release, and safety. he also put at least one recoil reducer in the stock. It shot softer than any other 9mm carbine I tried, until I shot an MPX. Now, my MPX is my primary, and I still have the Areo for a backup.

Although I only have about 1K through the MPX, the only time it hiccuped was when I was running ammo that only chronoed at 120pf out of the MPX for a steel match. The only thing I've done, other than clean and lube, was to replace their crappy trigger with a Hyperfire.

20,000 rounds on my primary GMR13, 15,000 on my backup. I trust my JP enough to practice ~500 rounds yesterday, run 4 shooters at a USPSA match today and have no reservations about about beside the bed tonight. In PCC just like any other division malfunctions lose matches. My JPs run. 

I'm a bit biased though:ph34r::ph34r:

My CZ Scorpion has run flawlessly. 4K rounds thru it so far without a hiccup. I did the HB Industries trigger upgrade and replaced the right side safety with a AK style lever. Like those upgrades, mags are reasonably priced and are readily available. I’m running a Burris FF3 with an 8moa dot. No issues with it either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 10/12/2017 at 9:49 PM, Dirtchevy841 said:

Getting ready to get into pcc. Just was wondering what rifle is good to go with. I’ve seen the new jp and I like the sig but want to know what would be a good rig also optic to run with it. Don’t wanna break the bank but want to get something nice. Any input will be appreciated 

What's your budget?  I run an AR9 but here's another option for $700:  http://www.beretta.com/en-us/cx4-storm/

Two guys use shoot them at our club and both run extremely well.

Does anyone have any info/experience on the newest Black Creek Precision GLK-B (glock billet) lower?  I called to ask general questions. The response I got was that theirs are the only lrbho that they know of that work, there’s no issue with bolt catches breaking from the bolt slamming, they fit with all uppers, and they have about 50k rounds through one without problems.  I’m skeptical because the guy on the phone wasn’t to eager to explain how they’ve solved those issues. Considering the cost I’d like a little more info. Here’s the link:

http://blackcreekprecision.com/parts-accessories/lower-receivers/bcp-9mm-7075-t6-slim-cut-forged-lower-receiver-249.html

Thanks!

Hello: If you don't reload get the Sig MPX if you like a soft shooter. If you reload and like to experiment get a good quality AR9mm or build one. I am not sure which one is faster at this point. My splits are the same for both and on classifiers my hit factors are almost the same. The AR9mm is easier to clean and a simple design. Saying that, the Sig stays pretty clean so far with only 1000 rounds or so through it. Thanks, Eric