Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open major loads- placebo or problems?

jtrump

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 6:11 PM, jtrump said:

The second load is 115g Precision Delta JHP with 10.8g of AA#7 @ 1.235 OAL- 172PF

This is the load I have been running for the past year and the dot hardly moves from the window. This is the only powder I have found with my Trubor that produces enough gas to work the comp. I might suggest a stronger grip and the use of a thumb rest. This will certainly help. Good luck and welcome.

5 hours ago, jtrump said:

I need to try this semi-relaxing my week hand and maybe not putting the Bob Vogel grip from hell on it.   It's hard to solve a problem like this without someone who knows whats going on with you.   I've got a local guy who's a M class open shooter, and he's a legitimate Master.  He's saying if my dot is moving something is wrong, that basically if it moves much at all something is out of sorts.  I keeps saying to build a load, and we will work the gun around it.  But I never get to see him except for match's ;p.

If he is saying that, find someone else to help you.  

Yea, I'm having a really hard time with this....     went to the range bumped up the AA#7 to 11.2g,  brass looks good, dot seems to stay stable...  but it feels like shooting a pistol grip shotgun.  Smacks the every living shit out of my hands, and echo's through my body heh..  thinking maybe this isn't for me.

Yea, I'm having a really hard time with this....     went to the range bumped up the AA#7 to 11.2g,  brass looks good, dot seems to stay stable...  but it feels like shooting a pistol grip shotgun.  Smacks the every living shit out of my hands, and echo's through my body heh..  thinking maybe this isn't for me.

I hear that... I’m a couple months into open shooting 9.

With hs6 at around 170pf I can keep the dot inside the glass of my DPP with a little wobble (side to side) on top of the normal up and down recoil....

I’ve kinda settled on leaving it alone until I become more accustomed shooting open. I still lose the dot on close targets and get a few jambs... so until I sort out those issues, there’s no point in me stressing over perfect dot movement.

I was able to take a couple shots with a GM’s akai in 38sc this weekend... tracks very straight up and down, but much more violent and loud than my 9. Call me a noob, but I didn’t notice a HUGE difference compared to mine, as far as accuracy potential. Being twice as loud and harsh in the hand... I don’t see that as an upgrade for someone so new to the division... maybe more experienced shooters would shoot both our guns and be able to tell, I can’t yet...

my 2 cents

Goodluck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's more important? Easy on the hands? Or speed?

Some people will just look at the timer and go with whats faster. Others may want soft, or flat. Open gives you the flexibility to make your gun do what you want with a combination of weight, load, comp, and ports etc.

At the end of the day you have to run the gun.

jt, try a faster powder.  Your comp is not using all the gas you are generating with that load of AA7.  Any that jets out the front only adds recoil.  Using a heavier bullet and less powder is one way to accomplish that.  So is using a faster powder.  If you are trying for flat and soft, consider poppels.

I was able to pick up some hs6 locally for cheap today,  loaded up some 115's and 124's  to 172pf, ironically they both came out to that...   both felt the same, dot movement wasn't terrible.   A friend of mine told me to not lock my arms out??    I tried this and everything felt softer even that giant powder load of AA#7.   But in doing so the dot like to go a little bonkers.

Start with 9.4 grains of 3n38 at 1.26 and add more until you are happy. I run 10.0 grains with MG 124 JHP at 1.26 at 175PF. The dot moves, all dots move. Grip it like a grown ass man and practice.... the shit is not an overnight thing. You have to get use to the gun, you need to find the timing on the gun, and you have to become an open division ninja. Put in some work and it will pay dividends. 

Just now, wrench459 said:

Try locking your wrists.

Leave you elbows and shoulders to take up the slack.

That's what I did this evening, it felt better, as in not shattering my teeth and bones.  

On 10/8/2017 at 8:40 PM, Mikeski said:

I ran 8.6gn of hs-6 under a 124 jhp from precision delta at 1.235oal in my DVC open which gave me a 174pf and a very flat gun. It's all about the right amount of gas to get the comp to work. Now the same load in my atlas open gun only pushes about 157pf so I've been making a load for that.  

Just wanted to know if you found your load for the Atlas. As your load that you listed is the same as I use for my Ck and been thinking of ordering a Choas. 

On 10/15/2017 at 6:28 PM, Steelix said:

Just wanted to know if you found your load for the Atlas. As your load that you listed is the same as I use for my Ck and been thinking of ordering a Choas. 

I did. I am running 9.9gn of 3n38 under a 124 jhp precision delta at 1.245 oal. Runs flat. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2017 at 3:42 AM, jtrump said:

That's what I did this evening, it felt better, as in not shattering my teeth and bones.  

I think you are getting there.

Any improvement on accuracy for the second quick shot? On the previous page, I was thinking you might need to go for shooting groups and picking up speed gradually to get a feel for how the pistol behaves.