Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best 2011 Mag Springs?

jaredbeesley

I tune mags and shoot quite a bit.  I have found that grams springs last longer than TTI.  If I forgot and left a mag full of ammo for a few days with TTI springs, they were pretty much trashed.  Grams seem to hold their shape longer.  I am replacing springs about every 3-4 months.  My current setup is I rotate in new match springs and rotate out the old springs for practice.  I use SVI tubes with TTI base pads.  I make sure to unload the mags at the end of every match or practice.  I tune the feed lips every 3 months or so and before every major match.  If you have "gun" problems with a good 2011, 99% of the time its mag related.  

3 hours ago, CrashDodson said:

I tune mags and shoot quite a bit.  I have found that grams springs last longer than TTI.  If I forgot and left a mag full of ammo for a few days with TTI springs, they were pretty much trashed.  Grams seem to hold their shape longer.  I am replacing springs about every 3-4 months.  My current setup is I rotate in new match springs and rotate out the old springs for practice.  I use SVI tubes with TTI base pads.  I make sure to unload the mags at the end of every match or practice.  I tune the feed lips every 3 months or so and before every major match.  If you have "gun" problems with a good 2011, 99% of the time its mag related.  

Mag springs don't wear from being loaded.  Its the cycling that wears them(loading and unloading).  Staying compressed for a few days wont ruin a magazine spring.  Springs will take a initial set and that initial set is important as it "remembers" it but after that its cycle count is what matters not leaving them compressed for a few days.