Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Load Data for Xtreme 124 gr RN

Santini

I'm relatively new at this, having loaded about 6,000 rounds so far on my 650. I have some Xtreme 124 gr RN and can't find load data from Hodgdon. Except for one load of 124 gr lead RN, all the data is for BERB 124 gr HPCB TP. I know what bullet that is, but my question for the experts--why nothing for Xtreme?

Any assistance or methodology for research would be appreciated.

Edited by Santini

They don't list loads for every bullet ever made. Plated bullets tend to be more like lead bullet loads instead of jacketed loads so start with lead load data and work up a load. 

Ok, first of all xtreme bullets aren't listed in any load data books by name. Xtreme says to use lead bullet data for a starting point. I found one load for 124 gr lead round nose on Hodgdon's website. 

Keep in mind that neither of the powder manufacturers sell bullets. And the other data from the other manufacturers are written by bullet companies and Xtream hasn't published one. Also do a search on the forum for load data by bullet weight for more information. 

What powder are you planning to use, specifically?

Find data for your preferred powder: you'll wind up somewhere around the midrange for lead, and down closer to the minimum for FMJs.

Thats usually roughly what happens.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I realize that load data is not published for every bullet made, and I also realize that, for plated bullets, generally you can use the equivalent lead bullet data. Hodgdon publishes only one load for a 124gr lead bullet, using WSF.  I have Titegroup and HP-38, and I would like to avoid buying another powder.  

Can I use the load data for a BERB HBRN TP 124 gr? Hodgdon publishes load data for that bullet with Titegroup. How is that bullet different from the Xtreme 124gr?

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Edited by Santini

The safe way to use other data for bullets not listed is to reduce the load by 10% to start with then work up to the listed load. I hope you have a cronograph to measure your results with especially if loading for power factor. You may have to invest in some other powders eventually. The Titegroup load is ok but is a little snappy try 3.3 gr. You also need to check OAL by doing the punk and spin test with the bullet to make sure it fits your chamber before loading a bunch.  

The shape of the bullet will make a difference from gun to gun due to differences in chamber length. A flat point bullet may have to be loaded shorter than a full round nose because of the difference in the diameter of the bullet at the case mouth and it's taper at that point.

Shape is also predicted by its use hollow point for hunting and flat or round point for target use. Some guns shoot different styles more accurately then others that is the fun part of reloading. Figuring out and testing different combos of components to make your gun shoot most accurately. This is not a cut and dry hobby and is wide open for experimentation to suit your needs.

What's your shooting goal? Plinking rounds at range or competition or?...

The Berry's hollow base round nose thick plated is a higher end plated bullet that will be more alike than different to the XT RN plated bullet, for loading purposes.  The Berry's thick plate (they say) will let it fly at 1500 fps plus, whereas I'd say your average XT bullet will start coming apart well before then.  I keep all plated bullets except the Berry TP at <1100 fps, but I load for IDPA mostly so they all should be <1100 anyway...  The berry's HBRN,  It's a longer bullet so the OALs will be different, so do your due diligence with your barrel 'plunk' testing to set your max OAL per usual process. 

I have shot >100k rounds plus of Berrys over the years. I also use the Xtreme RN and HP 124 gr bullets with Titegroup and N320.  IDPA load in a CZ is 3.8 gr TG at 1.050" OAL under the 124 XT HP bullet.   For the round nose version of that 124 gr XT bullet, for HP-38 (= Winchester 231...it's the same powder) it's my opinion that you can start at the Berry's data loading and work up...Lots of competitor friends use 4.0-4.2 gr of HP38/231 under a 124 grain plated bullet at various OALs that will vary with the bullet, obviously.  (Lots of those are 5" barrels, mind you, which will give slightly faster velocities, so you mind need more in a 4" barrel).   the 125 gr data B-RAD mentions shows 4.4gr W231 as the max for 124gr lead bullet and 4.8gr as max for a FMJ, and I wouldn't exceed that.

HP-38/231 is more forgiving than TG, Titegroup being a faster powder.  If you overcharge TG it may not be obvious in the case, since each charge drop is a smaller volume, and pressures in 9mm ramp up quick.   I love Titegroup, but HP-38 can't be beat either, in terms of quality. 

So, if you are new to reloading I'd start with the HP-38.  Start at low end (3.8-3.9) and work up, with a chrono, and watch your cases for pressure signs.  If all you need is plinking rounds that cycle the gun and don't need fine tuning of accuracy or competition velocities, then it'll be easier.

Q

Edited by Quirk

loaded 1,000's of these bullets. I find the plating pretty thick and load closer to a jacketed bullet vs lead. Titegroup 3.9-4.0 with 124 RN 1.135 for my G17/34 and WSF 4.5-4.6 with 124 RN 1.135 - I don't shoot for the power factor floor

• 2 weeks later...

I have shot thousands of these through my RIA, CZ 75, G17, and M&P 5".

All make 128+ PF in spring, summer, and fall. I have not tested them in winter.

OAL 1.135 - 1.140

4.0 Titegroup

Win SPP

light crimp (can't recall the num off the top of my head)

This is my go to round for all things 9mm. The M&P's are not the most accurate with this load but they are good enough for IDPA/Steel/USPSA. The other guns shoot this load to 1.5" or less at 17 yards.