Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger Slapping

JD45

Just wondering. Surprisingly, searching for slapping, slappers, or slap comes up blank. A Veteran B class shooter told me that he thought two pounds was the ticket for trigger slapping.

I like to experiment with this technique. Trigger slapping on super-close targets seems to help me stay relaxed and prevent trigger freeze.

You might reconsider what you need work on. You can save much more time by increase your splits on "hard" targets (partials) and targets at distance. Trigger freeze generally comes from reflex shooting, if you watch both shots you can do it just as fast and even faster.

If you think slapping will take you to the next level, go for it, but I think seeing your second shot and your shooting at 15 yards will increase your scores much faster than the up close stuff. Generally, slapping just makes people sloppy.

Just my 2 cents.

I have found that MY trigger freeze often came from bad positioning of my index finger on the trigger stirup, usually this occured on a bad grip during the draw (I would place my finger too far into the guard and be halfway on the pad of my index finger) now I position the tip (or darn close to the tip) and no more trigger freeze.

A couple thousand SLOW dry fire draws paying close attention to my finger placement on the trigger an presto no more freeze.

I don't do it, personally - at least, not at this point. I can see where it could be done on a very light trigger and be somewhat useful. Might be a crutch for me to get past trigger freeze w/ light triggers. I know that, once I'm below 26ozs or so, I tend to pin the trigger if I get at all tense. 26-28ozs still has enough return pressure for me to get a tactile feel for the surface of the trigger - somehow that's enough...

Heavier trigger jobs would appear to lend themselves to slapping the gun offline - and slapping *hard* is probably something to be avoided regardless of trigger pull...

I suppose Todd or Robbie would have to convince me before I'd really consider giving it a go....

TJ demos slapping a stock glock. On close-ish targets (the value of 'close' being determined by your practice and skill level, but can go upwards of 15 yards) the trigger pull should be more or less irrelevant once you get your index and grip solid. It's the same finger movement to slap a light trigger as a heavy one.

I slap some of my stock guns, I don't slap my 1911's. I has to do with the reset of the trigger for me, you can slap soft or hard if you have control of the gun.

That being, said I know you can have fast (and more importantly accurate) splits doing either, but until you have fairly good control of your firearm, it is harder to slap accurately than it is to sqeeze acurately.

It is easier to be fast than acurate, and that is a huge reason why so many people get stuck in the class they are at. They see good shooters shooting splits not knowing that a good shooter has control of each shot. So they try to emulate what they see, that is why there are so many "hosemasters" who can't hit a popper at 30, 40, 50 yards. If you can't hit a poper every time at 30 yards, well, I don't think it is your splits you need to worry about holding you back.

I think the requirements of your trigger and the way your body works should determine how you pull the trigger, not what someone else does :)

Those who envy TGO and TJ for their speed might consider looing at why they win, IMO it is because of their control and intentions, not trigger speed.

I spent lots of years in A class because I was focused on the wrong things (going fast) and I made it to the top class only after I changed my focus to doing everything with purpose and control, that's why I say what I say.

How exactly would you describe "slapping" the trigger? Is it in how you allow the trigger to reset? That is the biggest hurdle for me switching from the STI to the Glock.

I know a couple guys I shoot with spank it but I haven't heard anyone using the slapping method.

How exactly would you describe "slapping" the trigger? Is it in how you allow the trigger to reset? That is the biggest hurdle for me switching from the STI to the Glock.

I know a couple guys I shoot with spank it but I haven't heard anyone using the slapping method.

I would describe 'slapping' as when your trigger finger continues forward on reset and comes completely off the face of the trigger. I've seen some video of TGO where it almost looks like his finger hits the front of the trigger guard.

Nolan

My definition of slapping would be letting off the trigger completely during reset, BUT also slapping the trigger again during the pull after the letting off during reset. I was always told slapping was during the reset and pull, and slapping is rather fast and sometimes hard during the pull, but that's why some pull shots badly.

I used to slap a lot with my STI's or custom 1911's, but in switching to a Glock, I cant seem to get away with it. I think it has to do with (for me at least) the trigger travel is so short on 1911 that the sights dont have time to hardly move during trigger travel and the triggers are so light that the resistance of when the trigger breaks isnt hard enough to cause the gun to move around and disturb the sights.

On the Glocks however, the trigger travel is a bit longer and the triggers dont move directly to the rear, they have a slight curve to the triggers movement where the 1911's dont. If somebody has tips for slapping Glocks trigger, I'd love to hear them or see it.

I can get away with slapping slightly on close targets, but 25 yard or beyond or hard shot (ie poppers, plates, head shots) I have to slow down and pull the trigger the old fashioned textbook way, with the Glock at least.

From what I have read here, the Vanek pound and a half trigger job might work well for a trigger slapper.

I'm learning alot from all of this good advice. I don't think I'll ever be slapping a trigger at much over 10yds.. Right now I'm playing with it at under 5yds.

It's not about speeding up splits for me, it's more about stopping tension and letting the gun work. When I have targets so close that I know I can hip-shoot them fast, I can get really tense trying to blaze through them. Slapping sort of keeps me from rolling past them without stopping the gun. I don't know why.

I NEVER thought I slapped a trigger, but about a year ago a close friend of mine was watching me closely one day at a local match as I was shooting strong hand only, he said my finger was almost coming out of the trigger guard. That still surprises me because I never practiced slapping nor do I recall that sensation <_<

Back on topic: I guess I slap my trigger sometimes but they're all under 2 lbs.